* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [DEV] Server development  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
[DEV] Server development
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »
After a long period of doing nothin,g due to the lack of motivation, I recently picked up the new server code again to make some more progress, so I thought; why not give our fans some insight on what needs to be done, what's being worked, etc..

So here it is; My blog-thing-update-topic. I'll try to add updates frequently and even try to answer some of your questions (if you have any).
Note that I only answer server (and maybe some client) related questions and please don't make it a "will feature X be implemented" list.

November 15th, 2010
The last thing I did before my motivation breakdown ::) was implementing all Pokemon moves up to generation IV and some basic battle code. So I tried to continue with the battle code, but because this code is so big and complicated I decided to leave it for now and start with some more basic (and even more mandatory) stuff, like logging in and walking around :P

You're probably thinking something like, "how can code be complicated if you wrote it yourself". And this is true, when I dive into it and check how everything works I'll be fine, the problem is that this takes time and it's not the most awesome thing to do. Don't worry I'll continue on it when I'm back in the game ;)

Motivation breakdown... how did that happen? It took me 3 to 4 months to implement ALL Pokemon moves and it's not just coding moves. Before that you'll need to figure out how they work and what they do. Luckily there is this project called Shoddy battle which code I could use to check on certain moves, which saved me some time.

Anyway, back to the present. At the moment I'm working on the new login system and how is this "new" you want to know? Apart from cleaner code (which is only for me :P) it will also support the assignment of a new connection to an already existing player object.

Old version: When your connection with the server is lost (due to sucky internet, computer crash or something else) your player object would have been deleted with it. When in battle you would have automatically lost.

New version: When the connection is lost, your player object will remain "online" (other players will still be able to see you) for a couple of seconds. Now when you reconnect to the server, it will see that you already have an "online" player object and will assign your connection to it. That way you'll be able to pickup where you left.

When that is done I will probably continue with the basic game logic; walking and seeing other players.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 04:42:53 PM by Mr_Dark »
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
Re: [DEV] Server development
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:23:14 AM »
This is more GUI, but I noticed something in L5P's PvP Videos. The interface was very basic, and I was wondering, Is this the final design, or is it just a Stand in PvP GUI until the final project is made?
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:45:28 AM »
This is more GUI, but I noticed something in L5P's PvP Videos. The interface was very basic, and I was wondering, Is this the final design, or is it just a Stand in PvP GUI until the final project is made?

That's shoddy battle...Hurp...

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:47:57 AM »
Oh....... *Facepalm* Carry on, then
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 08:06:02 AM »
Oh....... *Facepalm* Carry on, then

The Shoddy Battle server is the one we are currently using to test out all the changes to the Pokemon. That's what you are seeing in the videos, and it is basic to speed up the battles themselves.

The GUI for Pokemon Universe is much more sophisticated and attractive to look at.
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline dudethatsmyapple

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Auspicious Games
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 07:53:52 AM »
sounds great man, keep up the work lol  ;D
my life is my life :P

Offline sUiCiDeMAniC

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »
If your creating the "player object", but never deleting it wouldn't this cause huge strain on a server having all these instances of "player object" never deleted?  When developing my servers i've always been a create and delete on demand kind of guy to be sure to free up memory for others, so the server would never overload the cpu with "memory leaks".....just my 2 cents....

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »
If your creating the "player object", but never deleting it wouldn't this cause huge strain on a server having all these instances of "player object" never deleted?  When developing my servers i've always been a create and delete on demand kind of guy to be sure to free up memory for others, so the server would never overload the cpu with "memory leaks".....just my 2 cents....

I think you interpreted it in the wrong way. I'm saving the objects for a limited amount of time, say 30 seconds. In this period of time you will be able to login again and pick-up where you left. When time passes, the object will be deleted.
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline KoV Odin 69

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Knights Of Valor Forums
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »
glad to hear things are going smoothly, i was maybe thinking you guys should add some movement to the pokemon when using attacks.  just a little shake back and fourth with some animation music.  I'm no good at coding or anything like that so i don't know what would be involved, but the best part about the battles in the original games was the small animations with the sound effects when you pressed "fight" or "run" or even when browsing through items.

Offline Monzta

• CharlesedickNB
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Effectively.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 05:00:17 AM »
glad to hear things are going smoothly, i was maybe thinking you guys should add some movement to the pokemon when using attacks.  just a little shake back and fourth with some animation music.  I'm no good at coding or anything like that so i don't know what would be involved, but the best part about the battles in the original games was the small animations with the sound effects when you pressed "fight" or "run" or even when browsing through items.
This is already being done :) Check out Hiteryan's youtube channel, he's the music guy.