* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [Quest] Rare Magikarp  (Read 8292 times)

Kuixta

[Quest] Rare Magikarp
« on: January 26, 2010, 06:27:17 AM »
Everyone knows that a magikarp is a really common pokemon. So i kind of came up with a quest. The quest as stated above is Rare Magikarp. I was thinking that magikarp shouldn't be common at the beggining of a trainers journey. Preferably not available until the trainer reached a certain level. After this level is reached you can go into a special place (Magikarp Grotto). In there you will find an NPC and he sends the trainer on a quest to find a magikarp. The trainer must go deep into the cavern until he finds a small lake. But the probability of finding one should be like 5% or something to make it hard. After the magikarp is captured the trainer goes back and talks to the NPC and gets a small gift (money or anything else). But he asks if it gets trained and the trainer brings it back as a gyarados at a high level (lvl 50) he would get a better reward. If the trainer does go back he has to battle the NPC choosing only gyarados. If he defeats the NPC then the trainer can get a better item (rare candy?).

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
Re: [Quest] Rare Magikarp
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:51:26 AM »
ok, i like this as a start!
magicarp has a bit of a background to it now.

but here is my dilemma: this quest has no backbone, no reason to it.
a quest that has no reason, no emotion, no story, is no fun.

you need to consider (especially since this is an MMO we're talking about), why this is happening. why are magicarp more rare? why does the NPC want you to find one? why does he want you to train it? what are some of the obstacles that must be faced? etc.
when you watch an episode of pokemon, you notice that they are always being faced with additional obstacles on the way to achieving their goal, the same sort of principle should be implemented. ok, i shouldn't say that it should, that is more of a suggestion, as not all quests and stories have side arcs and such.

but there should definitely be a story to it, otherwise it is just a meaningless quest.

however, as i stated, there are aspects to this story that i enjoyed, and i think this could become a well developed side story, if it became just that: a "story", instead of just running around aimlessly.
my biggest suggestion to you is to make it more developed, which likely means making it longer as well.... (please note: that does not mean it has to be lengthy, just longer than you have it)

Kuixta

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 09:25:47 AM »
Thinking about what you said i think i found a story. There is a stream that ends in the lake inside the grotto. Due to different circumstances there is only female magikarp there. In the beginning of this stream however is a whole bunch of male gyarados who won't go downstream and the female magikarp are too weak to swim upstream. That's when the NPC asks the trainer to catch a magikarp and train it to be a gyarados. After the trainer defeats the NPC, he tells the trainer to go upstream and catch a male gyarados so he can breed them and bring back a male magikarp to mate with the females spreading the magikarp population. Maybe if this ques is hard it can be the way to obtain waterfall. (just an idea)   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:29:17 AM by Kuixta »

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 10:38:33 PM »
not bad, not bad.... i do like the incentive and the fact that you have to actually do some work (training) to complete it..... but i just don't know, maybe im just being too picky, but i think there is much more untapped potential here....not enough spunk for lack of a better term

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 02:37:59 PM »
This quest sounds like:

You talk to a npc:
NPC: "Hi, I'm looking for a magikarp, do you have one?"
- Yes
- No

Yes:
NPC: "Oh great! May I have it, you'll get something awesome from me."
- Sure, here you go
- No, go catch your own!
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 03:33:46 PM »
It would be very funny if the quest was just that, a dude asks you for a Magikarp, but when you have the quest active, your encounter rate for Magikarp is inexplicably lowered to 1% :D
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Kuixta

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:22:08 AM »
No i was kinda of thinking that magikarp shouldn't be available until this quest. I'll rethink it and post up dialogue and everything next post.

Offline tap1on

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
This quest sounds like:

You talk to a npc:
NPC: "Hi, I'm looking for a magikarp, do you have one?"
- Yes
- No

Yes:
NPC: "Oh great! May I have it, you'll get something awesome from me."
- Sure, here you go
- No, go catch your own!

Does all quests have to be a 2-year chainquest? I think that would be a decent quest, much like "kill 30 dogs", "collect 20 flowers" etc.

Offline Impwadman

• Beginning Trainer
  • Hey Ampharos. YOU'RE SUCH A BEAST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 09:24:27 PM »
Does all quests have to be a 2-year chainquest? I think that would be a decent quest, much like "kill 30 dogs", "collect 20 flowers" etc.

I agree. Besides the main quest-line, shouldn't there be little sub-quests. They don't have to be related to the big main one. These can be quests that make the game more interesting both during the game and after you finish the main one.

Offline The Fireball Kid

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 12:00:17 AM »
Thinking about what you said i think i found a story. There is a stream that ends in the lake inside the grotto. Due to different circumstances there is only female magikarp there. In the beginning of this stream however is a whole bunch of male gyarados who won't go downstream and the female magikarp are too weak to swim upstream. That's when the NPC asks the trainer to catch a magikarp and train it to be a gyarados. After the trainer defeats the NPC, he tells the trainer to go upstream and catch a male gyarados so he can breed them and bring back a male magikarp to mate with the females spreading the magikarp population. Maybe if this ques is hard it can be the way to obtain waterfall. (just an idea)   

Male gyrados mating with female magikarps? Why do you have to defeat the npc? you never explained that.

It could go something like this:

You see a few people outside a cave pacing themsleves. You talk to one of the npc and he tells you a story of how much stronger the ancestors of magikarp is compared to today's and that long lived majikarps can leap high enough using splash to jump over mountains. The man than tells you he is a scientist and him and his crew were studying the magikarps until some thieves snuck in and stole the magikarps. And while in the process, they angered one and it evolved into a gyrados which made them flee leaving a handful of magikarps behind. Now the scientist can't study the magikarps because the gyrados is guarding them and will not let any human or pokemon in. The npc gives you a quest that requires you to go into the cave and defeat the gyrados. And for proof, bring him the gyrados scale.

This can lead to a chain of quest. Like maybe you'll find out that an underworld organization are after all the magikarps to evolve them into gyrados to rule the sea.

If this sounds good but too short, I can make it longer.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:23:56 AM by Victory »

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 12:48:56 AM »

Male gyrados mating with female magikarps? Why do you have to defeat the npc? you never explained that.

It could go something like this:

You see a few people outside a cave pacing themsleves. You talk to one of the npc and he tells you a story of how much stronger the ancestors of magikarp is compared to today's and that long lived majikarps can leap high enough using splash to jump over mountains. The man later tells you he is a scientist and his crew were studying the magikarps until some thieves snuck in and stole the magikarps and while in the process they angered one of them and it evolved into a gyrados which made them flee leaving a handful of magikarps behind. Now they can't study the magikarps because the gyrados is guarding them and will not let any human or pokemon in. The npc gives you a quest that requires you to go into the cave and defeat the gyrados. And for proof, bring him the gyrados scale.

This can leave to a chain of quest. Like maybe you'll find out that an underworld organization are after all the magikarps to evolve them into gyrados to rule the sea.

If this sounds good but too short, I can make it longer.
well done on your report Victory!
you get a smiley face
 :D

.....see me after class
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:50:28 AM by spirit »

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »
I swear I have read about people trying to evolve Magikarp... anyway, that'd be a nice quest :)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Kuixta

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »
Like your idea victory i think we should use that instead.

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:09 PM »
You could actually impliment both your ideas. Victory's idea first then:
you talk to the scientist again, he informs you that the Evil Team has continued to pursue their Magikarp catching scheme, however they are now after a rare magikarp that has the ability to learn moves (outrageous I know). However, when you reach the place they are magikarp fishing you cannot stop them continuing their work. When the scientist is informed of this he sends you back saying that your only hope is to catch it before Team Evil does. After fishing for a while you come accross it, catch it and take it back to collect the reward. Other people can work out the chance rate and stuff :).