* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Proposal for Legendaries/Rares  (Read 4908 times)

Offline gaurdianAQ

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Proposal for Legendaries/Rares
« on: April 10, 2011, 05:45:52 AM »
Now I know you said they would not be catchable but I would like to make a few propositions in terms of legendary pokemon.

I remember reading that you said they would appear as overworld bosses.

One idea is that after you have defeated them, perhaps there is a chance you could randomly run into them in very high level areas, now hear me out here, this would be an extremely rare occurrence that is unlikely to happen once in a year. I'm even thinking so rare that you could play 4 hours a day every day for a year and there is still a good chance you won't run into one. Thats how rare I'm talking about.

My other idea which may or not have been proposed is to have them as rewards for contests and/or winning official tournaments. This would keep it so that having a legendary is still special.

Another idea to go in conjunction with one of my ideas above is to have it so that depending on the rarity of the pokemon and the number of people playing there is only a specific number of them ever in circulation. So say the pokemon we are talking about is Mew, there would only be 1 mew for every thousand players, or maybe make it every 2000 players to keep it rare... I don't know... Now lets go down to a less rare pokemon (lets use moltres as an example) there might be 5 moltres for every 1000 players in circulation. Or possibly 1 for every 200 players. Depending on how the game calculates when to add another.

lets go with my first example of every 1000 players.

So when the game starts off there would be 1 mew, but say the game gained enough popularity to have 100000 players. Then there would 100 mews in circulation, after that it would be impossible to get mew unless you could convince a player who owns one to trade it for a very large sum of money and/or items.

This would allow for every Pokemon to be used while still keeping a balance and would allow for legendary Pokemon to be as powerful as they are meant to be while keeping the balance.

Another rule might be that a player can only ever own 1 legendary pokemon at a time. So if a player who owns mew wants to own a Lugia they would have to trade it off. Or perhaps only 1 of a single legendary pokemon and you can only have 1 in your current roster for a battle. That way you can't have a team of 6 legendary pokemon.

These are just some ideas that I came up with on the spot (which the devs may have already considered, I'm not sure as I just joined this site today) to include legendary pokemon as usable without upsetting the balance.
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." (Karen, elite 4)

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal for Legendaries/Rares
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 05:52:19 AM »
No legendaries will be caught.
The end.

Offline gaurdianAQ

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 05:53:25 AM »
Did you even read my idea or did you see legendaries and say no?
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." (Karen, elite 4)

I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

Offline DarK_SouL

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 05:54:05 AM »
The Team is already 100% sure about no legends, at all. Because people could still be overpowered, even if they only have 1 Mew. Someone is overpowered. Also, maybe you can see, but all Pokeballs fail, that seems good to me.

Thank you for not being a n00b about and actually giving reasonable advice though.

Of course i'm not on the team, but I've been here a while.
Friend DarkerSou1 on Xbox Live, tell me who you is tho.

Offline gaurdianAQ

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:57:31 AM »
Ya and I just noticed on the forum above this one that there is a pinned post with a similar idea, I guess I just figured maybe I had an idea that hadn't been considered yet.

Oh well, thank you for reading!

Offline DarK_SouL

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 06:00:41 AM »
No problem, and please keep giving ideas. You have good ones!
Friend DarkerSou1 on Xbox Live, tell me who you is tho.

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 10:37:17 AM »
This caught my eye:

[...] (lets use moltres as an example) there might be 5 moltres for every 1000 players in circulation. Or possibly 1 for every 200 players.

5 Moltres for every 1000 players is the same as 1 for every 200 players.

5*200 = 1000
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 10:57:07 AM »
Unfortunately, under no circumstances will legendaries be permanently in the possession of any player. Because of this, the balancing team are not taking them into account, menaing that they'd be even more overpowered than usual (I think, stat calcs are not my strong point)

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »
Unfortunately, under no circumstances will legendaries be permanently in the possession of any player. Because of this, the balancing team are not taking them into account, menaing that they'd be even more overpowered than usual (I think, stat calcs are not my strong point)

Yes.

If, at any point in time, legendaries are used in-game and are controllable by the players, then they will be balanced to suit the situation and nothing more. Thus, their abilities and stats would, most likely, be extremely overpowered in comparison to the rest of the 'mons.
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline gaurdianAQ

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »
What I meant between the difference between 5 for every 1000 and 1 for every 200 is in the way it's calculated.

Yes they equal the same.

But with 5 for every 1000 I meant that say you have 1999 players, it's still only 5 moltres, the next 5 are not calculated till the game recieves reaches that milestone.

Where as if it was 1 for every 200, then say there was 1601 then there would be 8 moltres in the game as it is calculated on the basis that every 200 players that join another moltres is added.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 09:48:51 PM »
That doesn't change the fact that Legendaries won't be implemented as permanent pokemon of players on PU :-\
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 10:05:09 PM »
It doesn't matter how well you think you can distribute the legendaries, if you are suggesting players owning legendaries in any way this idea is trash.

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »
Idea has run it's course, I look forward to reading anything else you come up with guardianAQ.
/locked