* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Making your Pokemon unique  (Read 11829 times)

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
Making your Pokemon unique
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:46:43 PM »
What kind of system would you use to make each pokemon more unique, even when it is the same species as someone else's?

Firstly... NO equipping pokemon with gear. This includes calling it something else, like "multiple hold items" or "pokeball enhancements".

As far as I see it, the closest you will get to "equipping" your pokemon will be hold items, and the permanent boosts to normal stats via the system replacing EVs. There will likely be many quests to help you gain points on normal stats for individual pokemon.

My (totally unofficial) idea would be the ability to add special stat boosts like critical hit, accuracy and evasion, or more unique bonuses like +1 turns on weather. These would be permanent once applied and would come from quests/items found in the field/dropped off pokemon/treasure chests. Each boost would be relatively small, and worth a number of points, and there would be a cap on points like with EVs, this cap could be shared with the EV-replacing system cap. If I was feeling exceptionally generous, I may even make it possible to reset a pokemon to its base stats and "re-train".
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
Re: Making your Pokemon unique
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:52:18 PM »
Hmm you say "pokeball enhancements". Does this include seals?

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »
No. Seals does not boost your pokemon in any way.

Seals are for show. Nothing else.
(This is not saying that we WILL add seals ingame).
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline oslash

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:05:48 AM »
i like your idea to reset the pokemon lvl to 1 with its base stats, but keeping all the special boosts (EV, quest, vitamins, etc.)

critical hit ratio and accuracy depends of the move not the pokemon im dont think that change this is a good idea

maybe there could be an item that adds 5% of critical hit or accuracy to a move only usable once per move

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:13:26 AM »
There is a hold item that increases critical hits. Accuracy is modifyable by moves, no reason not to give it a bonus too. I didn't mean reset to level 1, I meant wipe all the special bonuses so you could make a new "build".
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 04:08:37 AM »
the whole rebuild idea sounds good to me. :]

you never know when you click the wrong thing, and then its permanent. that would suck haha
especially when your going for something really detailed and specific.

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
  • legenadaries are just too OP... just too OP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:37:16 PM »
what about quest-lines where your final award is : all your pokemon gain 5% more crit or: make 50% higher crits and so on?

those quests should be difficult to master, like : defeat gym leader xy without using a potion or, defeat leader xy with using only one pokemon. or something like that. These quests could be for my idea of the 'master/heroic gym leaders' :-P

Another cool feature would be pokemon-quests. f.e: arkani questline (diffculty high) and awards are something like: your physical attacks now add 10% as fire damage :-) something like that would be cool i guess :-)
best should be differenet possibilites of awards for one line, so that everybody takes another award for his pokemon :-)
sounds like talent trees, but are way different system:-)
"Call me Tom."

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »
My idea would be to toggle the stat sets of a Pokemon on auto or manual as they level up:

Level 4-->5 [Insert Pokemon Here]: My choices, The set choices.

HP: 12 +4 +2

Attack: 4 +1

Speed: 8 +1 +1

Sp. Attack: 4 +2

Sp. Defense: 4 +1 +1

Defense: 7 +2 +1

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
Kinda like KOTOR then, trouble is that you aren't doing anything that actually increases those stats per se, just picking them.

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 08:09:33 PM »
Yeah, this 'system's leads more into strategy then anything. And this kind of system would insure that almost everyone's Pokemon would be unique. ...Or make a lot of people very angry when they mess their Pokemon up so bad they can't when a battle.  ::)

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 10:31:40 PM »
WOuld the stat "rebuild" be transferred to traded pokemon? or would it reset to the base?

Some players might have realized they screwed up a pokemon's stats (or even sabotage stats) and dump the pokemon on an unsuspecting player.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:36:53 PM by ghostman50 »
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 10:34:27 PM »
You will be able to check the full stats of a Pokemon before trading. Both players will select their Pokemon to be traded, it will come up on each others' screens, then both people will have to hit "confirm".

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 10:43:44 PM »
Would there be variables that affect the stat "build" and "caps"?

Like a Female Poliwhirl may have a higher cap at accuracy and a lower cap on strength or critical hit than a male Poliwhirl.

Or a pokemon located in a common area may have a lower cap than a poke located in a rare area?

Could/Would something like this be done?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:45:15 PM by ghostman50 »
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 01:16:13 AM »
Sounds overly complicated to me. I saw it as one cap on the total number of EV-style points, and one cap (variable by level) on special skill points.

E.g.

EV-type stat points as normal

255 in Sp. Attack
255 in Speed
= capped at 510 points

New special skill points like:

+10% accuracy on water moves .......................................... 10 points
+1 turn rain-weather .......................................................... 5 points
+30% electric-type resistance ............................................. 20 points
10-power water-type damage on moves which make contact .. 20 points
auto-regeneration of 10hp every turn ................................... 25 points
auto-regeneration of 30hp every turn while raining ................ 10 points
= capped at 90 points (level 90 pokemon)

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
  • legenadaries are just too OP... just too OP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 07:41:58 PM »
you dont want to equip pokemon, ok. but what about trainer-equipping? like shoes who give all of your pokemon +10 agility ? or such a thing? those items could be win at tournaments or through quests?
"Call me Tom."