* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Rangers  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Safur

• Beginning Trainer
  • The 15 years old RP'er
    • View Profile
Rangers
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »
Thanks to a quest I saw lately, I thought about the possibility to chose the kind of trainer you want to be. I don't think this could allready be in the beta version but this is my idea:

You start the game, the professor gives you information and asks what you want to be:

1) trainer: has to catch its pokemon with a ball, which makes it hard to catch pokemon, but he is able to have more then 6 pokemon.

2) ranger: you are able to catch your pokemon with a stylus, but he/she has to chose his/her pokemon really well. Because when (s)he catches a 7th pokemon, (s)he has to release one. The ranger is able to battle with the pokemon and the pokemon will not be released unless the ranger says so.

Practical difference: ranger can catch pokemon easier, while the trainer is able to catch more pokemon.

I hope this is a good and possible idea.
Let's just have fun on the forum, until the game is released!

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
Re: Rangers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:17:39 PM »
In all honesty, I can't see any people choosing to be a ranger, nobody wants to be limited to only 6 pokemon. However, A quest where you join the rangers and get to use their stylus thingie seems plausible.

Offline TrainerX

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »
I don't think this would work. It reminds me of classes, and I don't think classes would work in a pokemon game, unless there were skills which would be lower or higher depending on you class. It just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Offline Shadowfred

• Gameplay Balancer/Pretty cool guy
  • PU Team
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »
Yeah, I don't think that ranger would be a very popular choice if they were restricted to 6 pokemon. After all, most people would play with the "gotta catch em all" mindset.

Offline Safur

• Beginning Trainer
  • The 15 years old RP'er
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:54:25 PM »
Ok, then not.

I would chose ranger, because I never liked to have more then 6 pokemon and only 6 pokemon makes your team higher-leveled.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »
Okay, even if that is implemented, how is this going to work?

So far, the Pokemon Ranger games were played on the touchscreen of a DS. You will probably tell me that this will be done with the mouse, but this is not as practical. Secondly, the Pokemon that you capture don't stay with you as soon as you use them, and you'll end up with only one permanent pokemon. Next, ranger 'games' do not depend on the HP of the pokemon, but that of the stylus, which means, you only lose when your stylus is broken and not when your permanent pokemon is KO (assuming that the battling of pokemon is successfully implemented with rangers). And what happens if your stylus captures an opponent's pokemon? His/her pokemon was not fainted...

I think that those two contain too many dissimilarities to be mixed together.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Safur

• Beginning Trainer
  • The 15 years old RP'er
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »
I do know what you mean I played both games, but what I meant was like you are a special ranger with quite permanent pokemon who won't fled if you use them, and you can battle with them. The only way to use the stylus is by capturing wild pokemon. So with wild pokemon you can chose either battle (to win XP) or try to capture it with your stylus. You can either lose if your stylus breaks or if your pokemon are out. If your stylus breaks you get a new one in the Pokecentre. That's what I meant and you have to pay for the stylus like trainers left money on the ground.

If you think this is unlike rangers, we could give them a new name.

Offline shadowbt

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 09:02:24 PM »
Safur i don't know if you got that idea from my quest :http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php/topic,3036.0.html
But, i am going to create a lot of ranger based quests and the capture styler that a typical pokemon ranger would have, can be obtained in that quest.As it says in my quest, the capture mode is disabled, making its only use to communicate with rangers at the beginning of a PokeRanger quest.I don't think being able to capture pokemon and then letting them go is a good idea.As jerry said, I don't know how its going to work or fit in with trainers.
All things come in good time.

Offline Safur

• Beginning Trainer
  • The 15 years old RP'er
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 05:32:59 PM »
Ok, then let it go.

It was just an idea.