* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Friends/Rivals  (Read 7266 times)

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Friends/Rivals
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:29:19 PM »
Hello there follow pokemon fans!
been lurking around these forums the past few days trying to get up to speed, it looks promising!
Now I was thinking there should be some kind of friend/rival system.

If you befriend a player you can teleport directly to his house (if he accepts the invitation that is)
This might ofcourse bring alot of problems such as you being able to teleport all over the map etc, this can be fixed by implementing some restricions.
Example:
Accept (read above)
You can only teleport to his/her house when he/she is online AND inside the house

I would also think it was cool if you could put "rival" status on players, even your friends!
Maybe Limit the number of rivals you can set.
When you defeat or are defeated by your rival I think it should be registred somewhere in your Pokedex or whatever system you are planning on using.
Friends should also be able to be rivals, since beating your Friend who is also your rival would be awesome!

This could also be implimented as a clan/group thing, where players (maybe 2-6 or something)
band together to start a pokemon clan/group/gathering whatever ^^.
Same thing with the rival system, but instead you are able to tag an entier group as rivals.
Maybe also add something like a clan tag, either by costumizing the character itself or adding something simmilar to WoW with a clan/guild tag under your name.

The group rival system could be implimented onto special tournaments held over serveral weeks, were clans battle for points. And at the end of the "season" there can be some kind of reward for the top clans.
How the bracket system and stuff like that will be set up I will leave up to the developers.

What do you guys think?

Note: Im sorry for any spelling mistakes I have made, english is my 2nd language.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:43:21 PM by Gammal »

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
Re: Friends
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »
teleportation to a friends house would be very convenient, but if it is decided that such an action is possible, and the developers decide they don't want people to be able to teleport around the map (to my knowledge, they don't want this), than when you leave the house you would have to teleport back to where you left from via some sort of marker system.

and yes, eventually (i don't know when), there will be a friend/guild function. i must say though, that i like the idea of setting people as rivals, but it shouldn't be able to do anything, other than make them separate on the speak bar. in other words, if you wish to speak to only your friends you could do so, or if you wish to speak only to your rivals you could do so as well.

actually, now i think about it, you should also have an optional pop-up window that gives you recent details of what friends/clan members/rivals have done, so you know if they have caught a new pokemon, beat another gym leader, or entered a tournament.

but i cannot see the rival system having any significant implementation into the game

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Friends/Rivals
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »
Sounds like we think alike.
And yes, I do understand that all these suggestions can not be implimented, this post was just me trying to think of some cool new fetures, they are by no means a "finished product"
I think something like what you/me posted would be very cool.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:52:55 AM by Gammal »

Offline Flawless

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:30:15 PM »
I like the rival idea but like Spirit said there is no use for it. Unless you get more experience when you battle a rival but this can be taken advantage of by some players.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:32:00 PM by Flawless »
If tomatoe is a fruit would ketchup be a jam?

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:10:26 PM »
I like the rival idea but like Spirit said there is no use for it. Unless you get more experience when you battle a rival but this can be taken advantage of by some players.

precisely why it wouldn't happen

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 07:19:58 PM »
Well, I dont think it HAS to be some kind + to beat your rival, I think more in the line of being able to see what tournaments they win etc, and maybe just keep score between the 2rivals, not in a way that it effects the game, more of a "I have won over you more times" kind of thing.

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »
yeah, if implemented, it would be more for records

i don't think this is necessary, but kinda cool, like having randomly placed flowers in towns, they have no real purpose other than to make it more pretty

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
  • legenadaries are just too OP... just too OP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 07:59:26 PM »
what about a 'buddy' and 'rival' list where stats in fights between you and one in your list are shown?
"Call me Tom."

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 08:10:22 PM »
yeah, if implemented, it would be more for records

i don't think this is necessary, but kinda cool, like having randomly placed flowers in towns, they have no real purpose other than to make it more pretty

But then, people do like pretty things ;)

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »
I like the Rival system proposal.

Everyone has friends that they would rather talk and hang with.

WHile others just love to compete and find players that could potentially push them to be the best.

Unlike the friend system, the rival system would allow you to alert your rivals when you've entered a tourny, It would allow you to send an alert to your rival when/if you want to battle and etc.

A rival system isnt something thats necessary but it could be helpful/cool to have.

Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:48:41 PM »
To be honest, most of my friends are my rivals, so I don't see why the Rival/Friend systems shouldn't be one and the same

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »
If we implement it, it'll probably be nothing more then just a list of players (with some kind of notice (color?) if the player is on- or off-line).
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 06:45:42 PM »
If we implement it, it'll probably be nothing more then just a list of players (with some kind of notice (color?) if the player is on- or off-line).

If you set someone as a rival, you should have a map or hint, like the list says which city they're in or something, that shows you the general location of that player, allowing you to track them down and challenge them like a real rival at a random time  :D

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 08:06:02 PM »
Surely, the concerned member will appear as a dot on the minimap, could be a coloured dot to contrast with the other 'regular' members.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 08:17:02 PM »
Surely, the concerned member will appear as a dot on the minimap, could be a coloured dot to contrast with the other 'regular' members.

That's what I thought initially, but I like the idea of just knowing the general town or vicinity, and then tracking down your rival for a battle, just seems like what would happen in the game, plus it's like a good sporting hunt! =P