* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Sliding scales of rarity.  (Read 6983 times)

Offline Kalika_Had`ke

• Quest Writer
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Sliding scales of rarity.
« on: May 28, 2011, 04:41:36 AM »
Fell free to lock and ignore if this has been touched on, really you'd think people would label their threads better.  >.>

One complaint I've always had about the games is that it's just far too static, things never change. Sure you have swarms (a topic for another night), but they're entirely random.

An interesting mechanical thing that could be done to help with this is to have certain pokémon become more or less rare depending on what pokémon are caught in a specific area. An example would make more sense than me trying to explain it.

Ignoring Ground shaking spots (yet another topic for another night), the encounter rates on route 2 in Black and White are..
40% Patrat
40% Lilipup
20% Purloin
..but by that point everyone who wants a Patrat or Lilipup has one, so they don't get caught here that often if at all, most however catch at least one purloin to vary their team while they're here.

But this is an MMO, things should change. So lets say for every 50 (or some other large number based on server population, the popularity of the area, other factors) pokémon of a species caught on a route within a week (or some other time period..see above note), the encounter rate for them goes down by 1%, that 1% then goes into the first thing on the second part of the table. The route 2 table doesn't have something else, so let's add some stuff to it, making the route 2 table look like..
40% Patrat
40% Lilipup
20% Purloin
---
0% Pidove
0% Emolga
..so for each percent of reduction on Purloin, it would go into Pidove, and after a certain amount of time or a large number of Pidove are caught that percent would go back into the highest thing on the lower part of the table, or back to Purloin

Of course some pokémon are common enough that they should always be on a route, and of course rare pokémon shouldn't become easy to find, so a simple system of minimum and maximum caps would be needed, adding caps to the table would make it look like..
40% Patrat (Minimum 25%)
40% Lilipup (Minimum 25%)
20% Purloin (Minimum 10%)
---
0% Pidove (Maximum 25%)
0% Emolga (Maximum 15%)
..With the minimums and maximums balanced like that the route could eventually have a high population of Pidove and more Emolga than purloin. Also note that very rare pokémon can be put near the bottom of the list to make them very hard to get indeed.

This is just a basic example, but I'm wondering what people think of such a mechanic.

I don't even want to think about the code involved, I know just enough about programming to know I don't have the focus for it. At least it wasn't my original idea of a migration mechanic, although I guess this could emulate such without having to have the areas interact with each other.  <.<
There once were Pokémon that became very close to humans.
There once were humans and Pokémon that ate together at the same table.
It was a time when there existed no differences to distinguish the two.
--DPP, Canalave Library, Sinnoh Folk Tales

Offline Fantom

• Beginning Trainer
  • Pika Pikachu
    • View Profile
Re: Sliding scales of rarity.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:55:48 AM »
No offense , in my opinion , this is somewhat stupid. So in different times the rating will be different ?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:05:15 AM by Fantom »

Offline Kalika_Had`ke

• Quest Writer
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:13:58 AM »
The basic point behind it is to make a simple dynamic population mechanic. By removing individuals from the ecosystem (ie. capturing pokémon) their rarity increases because other individuals of the same species get wise to it being an area in which they are being hunted. This leaves territory and resources unclaimed allowing other pokémon not normally part of that areas ecosystem to move in.

The mechanical reason for doing this is to add a dynamic element to what pokémon are in an area to prevent the various areas from getting stagnant. Using the original example, even though normally there would be no Emolga on route 2, if the balance tilts far enough they could move in and now you have a rare pokémon in an area they previously weren't, and at a level they were previously uncatchable at. Encouraging people to go back through areas they've already been to in case there's something new there.

Of course it may get too complex to easily implement if combined with the time of day mechanic introduced in GSC, or something even more esoteric like a dynamic weather system...(an idea for another time...)
There once were Pokémon that became very close to humans.
There once were humans and Pokémon that ate together at the same table.
It was a time when there existed no differences to distinguish the two.
--DPP, Canalave Library, Sinnoh Folk Tales

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »
In theory, this seems like a great idea. It gives a more realistic feel. However, I feel that the time period a week is too large, one day I believe would be better. The only thing is, assuming we have day and night (altering the encounter rates) The change over time would now be reduced to 12 hours. Added to this, there was talk going round of a 'PU' day lasting 6 hours. This would result in such a short time, that the encounter rates would be hardly effected. All in all, while a good idea, it may be more trouble than it is worth.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »
I like it too, it's more 'realistic' in some way. Like if some predators gets less in an area, more of the ones being preyed are there, or a similar scenario for competition for territory. Okay, that aside,
- The only problem I can see is at the level of programming that. I mean, how do you determine which pokemon should be made less rare when one pokemon is caught?

But that is for Dark and Urmel to work on if ever that is implemented, unless you find it before then :P
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Wire

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »
Good idea but it sounds like too much work just leave it the way it is in my opinion.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »
I'm curious as to how it is 'too much work" ???
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »
In theory, this seems like a great idea. It gives a more realistic feel. However, I feel that the time period a week is too large, one day I believe would be better. The only thing is, assuming we have day and night (altering the encounter rates) The change over time would now be reduced to 12 hours. Added to this, there was talk going round of a 'PU' day lasting 6 hours. This would result in such a short time, that the encounter rates would be hardly effected. All in all, while a good idea, it may be more trouble than it is worth.

Declan, since a "PU Day" is 6 hours, why not slide the rarity levels over several of those days?

Night and Day of course would change anyways..

So, example...

Let's take the area between New Bark, and Cherrygrove, as GSC was the first to include night-day...

During the day-"Day" 1
40% Rattata
30% Spearow
10% Hoppip

Into the Night- Day 1
30% Rattata
50% Hoothoot
20% Spearow

Day 2-
45% Rattata
15% Hoppip
40% Spearow

Night- Day 2
45% Hoothoot
25% Spearow
30% Rattata

then so on...

Do you think that would work?
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

zylonnick

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »

Let's take the area between New Bark, and Cherrygrove, as GSC was the first to include night-day...

During the day-"Day" 1
40% Rattata
30% Spearow
10% Hoppip

Into the Night- Day 1
30% Rattata
50% Hoothoot
20% Spearow

Day 2-
45% Rattata
15% Hoppip
40% Spearow

Night- Day 2
45% Hoothoot
25% Spearow
30% Rattata

then so on...

Sounds implentable, but in day 1 you only have 80% (40+30+10=80) :P
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:21:52 PM by Ponge »

Offline Wire

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
Maybe the game shoudl be fully finished before we start making up ideas that will effect the game in a big way. well thats what i think anyways.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 06:33:18 PM »
Of course, there are plenty of things which are not on the priority list, though they are very interesting. Saying it now or later won't change the fact that it's an interesting idea, if that can be implement somehow or another.

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »

During the day-"Day" 1
40% Rattata
30% Spearow
10% Hoppip

Into the Night- Day 1
30% Rattata
50% Hoothoot
20% Spearow

Day 2-
45% Rattata
15% Hoppip
40% Spearow

Night- Day 2
45% Hoothoot
25% Spearow
30% Rattata

then so on...

Sounds implentable, but in day 1 you only have 80% (40+30+10=80) :P

Technicalities....

I still proved a valid point =P
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »
 I like the idea. Won't go into too much detail on my opinion of why, but I will say that I think this could compliment the topic about Day/Night and Seasons ( http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php/topic,2609.0.html )
                               Cheers, Genbor
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Annafu

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 08:26:21 AM »
I actually rather like the idea. It does make it seem more realistic. It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to program. The hardest parts would be deciding a time frame for the sliding scale and choosing which pokemon to exchange with. Otherwise, it seems like a really cool aspect that would add to the game.

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 01:36:42 PM »
I actually rather like the idea. It does make it seem more realistic. It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to program. The hardest parts would be deciding a time frame for the sliding scale and choosing which pokemon to exchange with. Otherwise, it seems like a really cool aspect that would add to the game.

+1