* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: Gintama  (Read 6534 times)

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
Gintama
« on: May 30, 2011, 08:27:14 am »
 I noticed there was no thread about said Anime Gintama, and since it's not well known, in my opinion, I created this thread to talk about it.

Gintama (Silver Soul) is a manga and anime series by Sorachi Hideaki, with the anime currently above 200 episode counts. It is a sort of comedy/science-fiction/action based story, with mainly making fun of society among other things (including other manga/anime). This type of comedy might not be appealing to all, but I personally love it. Many times it requires background knowledge (about Japan, manga, etc.) to understand the jokes they make, and other times it's just really random. Well actually it is always random.

It is basically about a silver, perm haired samurai during the Edo era with a twist: Aliens invade. So now we have an Edo era/present day Japan mix, with Aliens roaming around, and space travel now being a reality. His name is taken from a Japanese legend Sakata Kintoki, who had superhuman strength as a child.

So Gintoki Sakata works as a Jack-of-all-trades (Yorozuya) and is about how he and the others he gets to befriend deal with life in this invaded Japan.

- Despite it's comedy genre, it tends to get into deep, serious thoughts every now and then, and when it's an actual action scene not meant for comedy, it's really awesome.

Well it's not dubbed in English or any other languages that I know of, but I only like a few Anime dubs anyway: most of them tend to get the characters messed up and there are only a few good ones out there. Anyways, it might be for the fact that the numerous jokes that go around Gintama wouldn't be able to translate too well, and a lot of people might not get it. That might be the reason why not many people like it or ever watched it.

Well if you decide to give it a go: http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/gintama-english-dubbed-online-free

PS: Gintama means Silver Soul, but sometimes a pun is made: Kintama (means Testicles)
PSS: In the Anime, the story starts from episode 3. Episodes 1-2 are a sort of trailer, and they are already in the middle of the story, with many characters known. (Just pointing it out, if you want to watch it from the beginning start with episode 3, and later return for 1-2. They aren't canon anyway)
                                                              Cheers, Genbor
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:32:53 am by genbor »
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Auja

• Beginning Trainer
  • I sneeze sparkles and stars.
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr(:
Re: Gintama
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:10:57 pm »
Strawberry milk.
Shut up. You know my name, not my life.

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:51:43 pm »
Strawberry milk.

Listen up! Let’s say you drink too much strawberry milk, and have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, but it’s cold outside your bed. You don’t want to get up, but the urge to urinate is just too strong! You make up your mind to go! You run to the bathroom, stand in front of the toilet, and let loose! You think that all your life has led to this moment! But then you realize. It isn’t the bathroom! You’re still in bed! That feeling of lukewarm wetness spreads like wildfire! But you don’t stop! You can’t stop! That’s what I’m talking about! That’s the truth of the strawberry milk! Do you get it?

:)
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Auja

• Beginning Trainer
  • I sneeze sparkles and stars.
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr(:
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:37:40 am »
Strawberry milk.

Listen up! Let’s say you drink too much strawberry milk, and have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, but it’s cold outside your bed. You don’t want to get up, but the urge to urinate is just too strong! You make up your mind to go! You run to the bathroom, stand in front of the toilet, and let loose! You think that all your life has led to this moment! But then you realize. It isn’t the bathroom! You’re still in bed! That feeling of lukewarm wetness spreads like wildfire! But you don’t stop! You can’t stop! That’s what I’m talking about! That’s the truth of the strawberry milk! Do you get it?

:)

lawl.
Shut up. You know my name, not my life.

Offline junnydavis

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:55:15 am »
whats with strawberry milk?