* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Regarding Pokémon Happiness  (Read 4259 times)

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
Regarding Pokémon Happiness
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:34:11 PM »
 Today on IRC we were talking like usual, and Alais came up with an Idea. She came up with how a Pokémon will run away from you if it reaches 0 Happiness. Once it runs away you have say 1/64 chance to encounter it again (but only it's previous owner can encounter it, nobody else). Once you encounter it, it will of course battle you, and you have the option of defeating it. However, if you defeat it, it won't give you Experience Points, nor anything else, instead it will start following you around to the point that whenever you try to battle a Pokémon, it will block your path and battle with you instead. This would continue on until you take the time to catch it and either keep it or release it properly.

Now since I liked this idea, I decided to post it, with her consent.

PS: I like this idea because it would remind the Trainers to take good care of their Pokémon.
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline St. Jimmy

• Normal Trainer
  • "I'm doing stuff, Hershel. Thaanggss."
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Pokémon Happiness
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 04:53:33 PM »
Today on IRC we were talking like usual, and Alais came up with an Idea. She came up with how a Pokémon will run away from you if it reaches 0 Happiness. Once it runs away you have say 1/64 chance to encounter it again (but only it's previous owner can encounter it, nobody else). Once you encounter it, it will of course battle you, and you have the option of defeating it. However, if you defeat it, it won't give you Experience Points, nor anything else, instead it will start following you around to the point that whenever you try to battle a Pokémon, it will block your path and battle with you instead. This would continue on until you take the time to catch it and either keep it or release it properly.

PS: I like this idea because it would remind the Trainers to take good care of their Pokémon.

I like the idea, but do you realize that it would make the move Frustration useless?
sup

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »

I like the idea, but do you realize that it would make the move Frustration useless?
I never figured why frustration is in the game when you can't make a pokemon hate you. And having it follow you till you catch it, which means it disrupting battles, would get annoying, especially if the pokemon was difficult to catch in the first place. I don't know if this idea would work, or if they even have the happiness factor in the beta, or changed an aspect of it.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline St. Jimmy

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 05:13:57 PM »

I never figured why frustration is in the game when you can't make a pokemon hate you. And having it follow you till you catch it, which means it disrupting battles, would get annoying, especially if the pokemon was difficult to catch in the first place. I don't know if this idea would work, or if they even have the happiness factor in the beta, or changed an aspect of it.

Actually, pokemon can lose happiness and grow to hate a trainer.  Feeding them berries or poffins they don't like can make them hate you, as well as just letting them faint.
sup

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 05:35:48 PM »
 True Frustration might need to be tweaked around a bit, maybe have it do the same trick as another move such as Reversal, where the Power of the move grows as the HP of the Pokémon lessens, or something along those lines. Anyways the whole point would be so that people take better care of their Pokémon. If they do, it won't come to it following you around and bugging you until you slap him away with a Pokéball.

Offline St. Jimmy

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »
True Frustration might need to be tweaked around a bit, maybe have it do the same trick as another move such as Reversal, where the Power of the move grows as the HP of the Pokémon lessens, or something along those lines. Anyways the whole point would be so that people take better care of their Pokémon. If they do, it won't come to it following you around and bugging you until you slap him away with a Pokéball.
I agree with the fact that people should take good care of there pokemon.  Maybe the team could make it so that Frustration would have it's full power at like 10 happiness instead of 0.  Assuming happiness ranges from 0-100.
sup

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »
 Some Pokémon evolve when their Happiness is above or at 220. That being said, 255 is the highest Happiness when a Pokémon "is super friendly to you! I'm a bit jealous!"

Offline St. Jimmy

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 05:49:35 PM »
Some Pokémon evolve when their Happiness is above or at 220. That being said, 255 is the highest Happiness when a Pokémon "is super friendly to you! I'm a bit jealous!"

Really? I had no idea happiness reached that high.
sup

Offline Ayara012

• Good Trainer
  • Arch Knight Ayara here~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »
niether did i. thats impressive.
As the saying goes, Curiosity killed the cat, not the dragon.
Sister, you really must stop throwing shoes at people.
Hello there.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 06:12:23 PM »
Yep it does :) That's because many of the mechanics of the game revolve around 256 (or 8-bit, which means binary information up to 8 digits, or from 0000 0000 to 1111 1111, and 255 is just a lower integer).

Okay, that's about it for that part, now back to the original topic.

I don't know if that would be easy code-wise, for assume that the game runs with 20,000 players and there are 1,000 frustrated (happiness = 0) pokemon which escape, I think that it'll be quite difficult to make one particular pokemon that is connected to a previous event (fleeing from the trainer) appear in the wild exclusively to one trainer out of the 20,000 others. Well, I don't know, but while it sounds like a cool idea, there can be some difficulties for that.

And lastly, if my trainer didn't like me, I would rather run away from him/her each time I saw him/her =S
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...