* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: Styles of 'battling'  (Read 17329 times)

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Styles of 'battling'
« on: February 06, 2010, 05:10:46 pm »
I have noticed that many members are now talking about how to change the battling styles of the game.

- linking moves
- support skills
- balancing the stats
etc.

I think that pokemon battles should remain the same. Since the first games (RBY) up to the latest ones (HGSS) the battling style is the same, when looking at the stats.

Yes, they introduced items in the game to make battling more interesting...
Yes, they further introduced natures and abilities in the game...
These are already to balancing, in some way, the pokemon differences!

If you are really keen on introducing those features, I suggest you make them temporary, and to do so, they should be in tournaments only (or perhaps minigames also) where there will be those facilities and handicaps. The player would be free to choose the feature (s)he likes and enjoy it there.

The only change that I would really like is making the terrain an advantage, or disadvantage. This doesn't really affect the pokemon itself, but the battle. The terrain is there already, why not make use of it?

For example, a plain will give a slight boost to ground, normal pokemon, a lake/river/sea would benefit water pokemon, a volcano, fire pokemon, a mountain rock pokemon, in a building psychic, electric, fighting pokemon, in the forest, grass and bug pokemon, etc.

Tournaments could have this feature. This will add to the randomness and adaptation of the trainer to different situations.

Sorry, I just needed to say that.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
  • legenadaries are just too OP... just too OP
    • View Profile
Re: Styles of 'battling'
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »
Games yes.
but what about tv series/ movies. The fights are more impressive and fun to see then in the GB games :-)

about your ground feature:
very neat, already thought about that when i saw this on TV (hoenn league finals^^).
interessting for tournaments!
"Call me Tom."

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 05:42:05 pm »
The movies are different. Yes, I like the fights in the series/movies.

- They make use of the terrain.
- They don't use items during PvP battles.
- They don't link moves, they use at most a 2 combo attack (that occurs in battles, when two pokemon have the same speed stat, or use say combo: "Hydro Pump, then Aqua Jet").
- The stats are not considered, nor are the levels. Only training, experience and ability to improvise matters.
- The pokemon in the trainers' pokeballs don't help in any way the battling pokemon.
- The pokemon can dodge nearly all attacks, depending on the use of its attacks and speed.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline chaosdestroyer

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 07:17:58 pm »
very good but linking moves has been used in all the mystery dungeons other than that you make a good point
people who live in the past never see whats right in front of them

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 07:23:00 pm »
Yes, linking linking moves are in the Mystery Dungeons. Is that the same here? Pokemon classics are not like mystery dungeon.

As I explained in the other thread, in Mystery Dungeon, you have more pokemon to battle, you have many floors/bases and you have monster houses!!! The PP there different, the effects of the moves are quite different, the power, accuracy too are different. The stats are different (note that in PMD (pokemon mystery dungeon), you don't have any maximum stat. You can go up and up and up with vitamins and gummis, at least, I never got there to say that it can go up to 1000). Different features for different games.

So, I'm still a 'no no' on linking moves.

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:11:05 pm »
I think linking moves like in mystery dungeon is a bad idea, as is having the power of a pokemon in its pokeball affect the battle (because it doesn't happen in the anime).

However

Pokemon Universe is NOT a gameboy game. It is a MMO and needs adjusting to match. The main reason for this has been covered extensively by Level5Pidgey, and is that 80% of pokemon are useless in competitive PvP battles, and as such we absolutely require that something is added or changed from the existing (heavily imbalanced and therefore flawed) battle system. The second reason is that new game mechanics add a new and exciting spin to what is going to be a new game.
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 08:18:53 pm »
The only change that I would really like is making the terrain an advantage, or disadvantage. This doesn't really affect the pokemon itself, but the battle. The terrain is there already, why not make use of it?

Im totally for a terrain stat boost. (if that is what you are trying to convey)

Not only in  tournaments, but something like this could be added to Gym battles as well.

Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:21:26 pm »
+1 for letting battle stay the old style (otherwise I have to rewrite the whole shii again :<)
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Draagn

• Beginning Trainer
  • My computer has a virus I will be off for a while.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 05:34:47 am »
I say they stay the same

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 01:30:11 pm »
is it that essential hard to implement such 'effects' for old attacks? do you really have to change a lot? :-)
it would be work, for sure, but i guess it would be usefull and would make PU to something very unique. If you find some people to make the balance thing, and only have to programm it, would it be that hard? :-)
"Call me Tom."

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 03:30:18 am »
I think linking moves like in mystery dungeon is a bad idea, as is having the power of a pokemon in its pokeball affect the battle (because it doesn't happen in the anime).

However

Pokemon Universe is NOT a gameboy game. It is a MMO and needs adjusting to match. The main reason for this has been covered extensively by Level5Pidgey, and is that 80% of pokemon are useless in competitive PvP battles, and as such we absolutely require that something is added or changed from the existing (heavily imbalanced and therefore flawed) battle system. The second reason is that new game mechanics add a new and exciting spin to what is going to be a new game.

I'm in complete agreement with Level5Pidgey, if the battle system is not changed from the "original ruby + ect" then I feel like this MMO might fail. Well not really fail, but most pokemon are not gonna be seen, and everyone will be carrying the same pokemon around just to beat everyone else.

Offline Draagn

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 05:25:26 am »
well for die hard poke fans like myself are fine either way because if its the same then we like it but if its different it could be bad but it might make the game more interesting so I guess I am either way on this whole debate so I am a gutless flip flopper

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 01:06:11 pm »
problem:
the fights in GB games are extremly simple.

when your playing an MMO, those fights CANT be that easy they are in GB games. why? we havnt got equippement. so every pokemons of the same type got nearly the same stats. so how decide who will win the fight?

one thing i would LOVE:
your against equipping pokemon. thats right, it would be absolutely against the poke-philosophy! Your against talent trees. ok.
what about 'to train attacks?' In TV series trainers are training attacks to be more effective and stronger. what abot to add such a thing in the game? i thought about:

bosses like, heroic/master gym leader, if you want to implement such a thing, , or they can be bought in malls or be won in tournaments!:
items that say:
increase the damage of the attack by 1%.

its an item that can be used on every attack, and will increase that attacks damage by 1%.
There should be also special attack-items like:
'hydro pump only item':
increases the damage of your hydropump by 2%. in Addition every Hydropump got the chance to trigger 'water strenght' that increases all your water damage by 10% for the next 3 turns.

So every poekmon should make different damage i think :-)
You got the possibility to make one attack an 'ultimate', and to increase the damage of all your attacks equally.

/discuss
"Call me Tom."

Offline Draagn

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 03:09:27 pm »
wow thats not a bad idea if mr dark has any problems with it I bet it would be that he doesn't want to do that for every move

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 04:22:23 am »
wow thats not a bad idea if mr dark has any problems with it I bet it would be that he doesn't want to do that for every move

I'm sure Mr_Dark can speak for himself Draagn...

problem:
the fights in GB games are extremly simple.

when your playing an MMO, those fights CANT be that easy they are in GB games. why? we havnt got equippement. so every pokemons of the same type got nearly the same stats. so how decide who will win the fight?

one thing i would LOVE:
your against equipping pokemon. thats right, it would be absolutely against the poke-philosophy! Your against talent trees. ok.
what about 'to train attacks?' In TV series trainers are training attacks to be more effective and stronger. what abot to add such a thing in the game? i thought about:

bosses like, heroic/master gym leader, if you want to implement such a thing, , or they can be bought in malls or be won in tournaments!:
items that say:
increase the damage of the attack by 1%.

its an item that can be used on every attack, and will increase that attacks damage by 1%.
There should be also special attack-items like:
'hydro pump only item':
increases the damage of your hydropump by 2%. in Addition every Hydropump got the chance to trigger 'water strenght' that increases all your water damage by 10% for the next 3 turns.

So every poekmon should make different damage i think :-)
You got the possibility to make one attack an 'ultimate', and to increase the damage of all your attacks equally.

/discuss

Although I agree with Draagn, doing this for every single move would be a pain, and I think they already discussed "hold items" somewhere, and they said it's not going to be done.
I remember them joking about it how it's not realistic.