* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Cheap Pokemon  (Read 20468 times)

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Pokemon
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 03:35:10 AM »
If stealth rock was like spikes and took a few turns to set up it would be fine.  But to be able to launch an entry hazard that does that much damage is just way to unbalanced.  I use spikes to break sashes and such.

As for tiers.  I don't care about them.  If you need tiers to make the battles fair obviously the game is extremely unbalanced.  Legendaries in my mind speak to a persons own inability to think.  I mean if we all use the same pokemon where is the fun?

Offline Ez

• Good Trainer
  • Pikaderp
    • View Profile
    • My Banner Thread
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 03:37:39 AM »
I get what you are saying and i'm not saying i'm perfect i put my self at a disadvantrage at any game i play as you can tell from my team  :P because i find it fun but you can't complain because it is your decision to put your self in that position.
It's over 9000!

Offline Noah_Road

• Normal Trainer
  • I can imagine 6 impossible things before breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 03:41:45 AM »
I agree with Ez but its not that easy in my case. Volcaronna is gonna be in any of the tiers I battle in (Monotype, DW OU, and Wifi).

If stealth rock was like spikes and took a few turns to set up it would be fine.  But to be able to launch an entry hazard that does that much damage is just way to unbalanced.  I use spikes to break sashes and such.

As for tiers.  I don't care about them.  If you need tiers to make the battles fair obviously the game is extremely unbalanced.  Legendaries in my mind speak to a persons own inability to think.  I mean if we all use the same pokemon where is the fun?

Pokemon is unbalanced. Thats just the way it is. Thats the way Mr. Taijiri made it and its been working for about 16 years. Thats why we have tiers though, because thats the closest thing you're gonna have to balancing things out competatively. Not every pokemon was ment to be equal. Not every pokemon was ment to even be viable for battle. Yet people still don't use the exact same teams as everyone else because weaker pokemon are still viable in their own way.

Psychic Power=Imagination+Dreams

Offline Ez

• Good Trainer
  • Pikaderp
    • View Profile
    • My Banner Thread
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 03:43:53 AM »
I agree with Ez but its not that easy in my case. Volcaronna is gonna be in any of the tiers I battle in (Monotype, DW OU, and Wifi).

Pokemon is unbalanced. Thats just the way it is. Thats the way Mr. Taijiri made it and its been working for about 16 years. Thats why we have tiers though, because thats the closest thing you're gonna have to balancing things out competatively. Not every pokemon was ment to be equal. Not every pokemon was ment to even be viable for battle. Yet people still don't use the exact same teams as everyone else because weaker pokemon are still viable in their own way.

i would find it stupid to make all Pokemon were equal honestly because if you work hard to get a rare Pokemon in story mode i'm guessing you want it to be strong.
It's over 9000!

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 03:45:32 AM »
Idk, I personally don't think legendaries should have a place in competitive battling.  I mean some of the "Legendaries" that are ok for OU use have moves that no other pokemon have.  I'd say that's a huge unfair advantage.

As far as the single player story, I feel that's the only acceptable place for legendaries.

Offline Noah_Road

• Normal Trainer
  • I can imagine 6 impossible things before breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 03:48:13 AM »
Most of the legendaries who aren't Uber aren't in that tier for a reason. Either because they aren't as broken as Kyogre and Darkrai or because they just can't keep up in this competative metagame like Celabi and Mew. Honestly I don't even think of the non-Uber legendaries as legendary anymore. I just think of them as normal pokemon.

Psychic Power=Imagination+Dreams

Offline Ez

• Good Trainer
  • Pikaderp
    • View Profile
    • My Banner Thread
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 03:52:10 AM »
Entei sucks lol i would use him if he didn't look so bad ass i only use derpy pokemon  :P

i think Entei is UU i think i'm not sure
It's over 9000!

Offline RadioactiveLemon

• Beginning Trainer
  • I like the number six
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 05:51:22 AM »
I have to agree with some of the posts on this thread. Ledgendaries ARE cheap.

If the game offers something exploitable or overpowered, that you take advantage of, it is not cheating. But it sucks when some five year old you battle in wi-fi has six acreuses, or a raquaza. It is frowend upon by the community. Anybody who uses ledgendaries in battles frequantly, is just cheap. So im hoping that Ledgendaries are not programmed into the game, or just not able to be caught.
*insert creative signature here*

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 05:52:11 AM »
they won't.

zylonnick

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 09:00:30 AM »
i would find it stupid to make all Pokemon were equal honestly because if you work hard to get a rare Pokemon in story mode i'm guessing you want it to be strong.

Then why are we balancing them...

Offline Ez

• Good Trainer
  • Pikaderp
    • View Profile
    • My Banner Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 12:35:35 PM »

Then why are we balancing them...

i don't think you get what i'm saying and i'm not talking about PU i'm talking Pokemon in general
It's over 9000!

zylonnick

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »
Ah, ok. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Offline RadioactiveLemon

• Beginning Trainer
  • I like the number six
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »
If im hearing right, the stats of pokemon are going to be balanced, so It will be more of a challange to level up and battle with others. But don't we some bad stats and some really good stats, so a level 50 delibird woulden't be as powerful as a level 50 tortera?  If it took me two days of walking in a patch of grass to catch a skymoray, and I was automatically beat by a spinda of the same level, i would be quite mad with the game.

Just curious.

zylonnick

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 06:00:06 PM »
Every pokémon will be usable, but with their own strongpoints, strategy etc. If you train your Skarmory right, you probably won't lose to a Spinda. The Delibird would actually be a great counter to Torterra, since torterra's STAB moves are ineffective or 1/4-effective, Delibird has a STAB which is 4* effective and is faster. If Torterra would survive, it would OHKO with Stone Edge of course (assuming it has Stone Edge). Since Delibird's stats will become better, It will be an effective Torterra-counter.

Offline RadioactiveLemon

• Beginning Trainer
  • I like the number six
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 06:04:57 PM »
Every pokémon will be usable, but with their own strongpoints, strategy etc. If you train your Skarmory right, you probably won't lose to a Spinda. The Delibird would actually be a great counter to Torterra, since torterra's STAB moves are ineffective or 1/4-effective, Delibird has a STAB which is 4* effective and is faster. If Torterra would survive, it would OHKO with Stone Edge of course (assuming it has Stone Edge). Since Delibird's stats will become better, It will be an effective Torterra-counter.

I see, so it is like you are using the "type-beats-type" stratigic system, rather than the "higher stats are better" system. Seems odd, but im sure it will work and make more sence once the game comes out.