* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Cheap Pokemon  (Read 20467 times)

zylonnick

Re: Cheap Pokemon
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 06:11:07 PM »
It isn't really like that, we're just making every pokémon viable through giving them a buff or a nerf in stats, abilities, movesets... Let's say my mono-fighting team won't be swept by a single Alakazam ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:13:21 PM by Ponge »

Offline Miserybiz

• Beginning Trainer
  • The first rule of flying... love
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 06:19:06 PM »
I do double battles and there for absolutely hate that Amoongus thing. Its so hard to kill and it uses something that makes it so i can only attack that. Meanwhile they have a weaker Pokemon out as well with a high attack that's killing me =/
MY TEAM! Gotta love 'em.

Offline RadioactiveLemon

• Beginning Trainer
  • I like the number six
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »
For a cheap tactic, I see people online use a lickylicky with a focus sash and explosion. Now THAT is cheap. That and the "fear" rattata.
*insert creative signature here*

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 08:19:22 PM »
aron in a sand storm...

Offline Noah_Road

• Normal Trainer
  • I can imagine 6 impossible things before breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 09:21:01 PM »
I do double battles and there for absolutely hate that Amoongus thing. Its so hard to kill and it uses something that makes it so i can only attack that. Meanwhile they have a weaker Pokemon out as well with a high attack that's killing me =/

Whimsicott's Taunt was my best counter against Amoonguss in doubles while my other pokemon would either attack Amoonguss's partner who is most likely trying to set up.

For a cheap tactic, I see people online use a lickylicky with a focus sash and explosion. Now THAT is cheap. That and the "fear" rattata.

Any ghost type will counter both.

Psychic Power=Imagination+Dreams

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 09:27:55 PM »
Also, if you baton passed stacked up nasty plot and some agility to Delibird onto EQ of Torterra, most Torterra if not all (balanced or not) wouldn't withstand a STAB ice beam from Delibird. :)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline RadioactiveLemon

• Beginning Trainer
  • I like the number six
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 09:34:03 PM »
Mabey I made a bad example. What I was trying to get out, was that I don't want to get a really rare and powerful pokemon in the wild, and have it get beaten by a weak pokemon of the same level. So Im just assuming that pokemon that were generally rare in the main games, will not be as tough to get. But this is way off topic now  :P

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 03:09:49 AM »
It isn't really like that, we're just making every pokémon viable through giving them a buff or a nerf in stats, abilities, movesets... Let's say my mono-fighting team won't be swept by a single Alakazam ;)

That sorta implies that we've changed type matchups or something XP Or weakened SE damage.

Basically - the balance effort means every fully evolved Pokemon will be usable in a skilled battle setting.
So, if we hold a tournament for all the best trainers, rather than only seeing the OU tier (Blissey, TTar, Scizor, Infernape) - you'll be seeing a huge mix of all Pokemon (like Braviary, Blastoise, Slowbro, and Clefable too)

We are also attempting to make every Pokemon both
- Fun to use
- Fun to fight against.

As we've covered in this topic, some Pokemon are not fun at all to fight against - Blissey for example is well known for undoing several turns of work in just 2 turns, so she got nerfed to be a little riskier.

An example of a Pokemon who wasn't fun to use was Scizor - most carried Choice Bands and sat around just Bullet Punching and U-Turning all day.
We nerfed his attack a little - making the strategy less useful, but then buffed several of his attacks.
No when he runs a Choice Band, he has more options to choose from - making him more fun to play - and in many ways, more dangerous, even with his lost Attack.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:33:02 AM by Level5Pidgey »
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Noah_Road

• Normal Trainer
  • I can imagine 6 impossible things before breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 11:22:39 AM »

That sorta implies that we've changed type matchups or something XP Or weakened SE damage.

Basically - the balance effort means every fully evolved Pokemon will be usable in a skilled battle setting.
So, if we hold a tournament for all the best trainers, rather than only seeing the OU tier (Blissey, TTar, Scizor, Infernape) - you'll be seeing a huge mix of all Pokemon (like Braviary, Blastoise, Slowbro, and Clefable too)

We are also attempting to make every Pokemon both
- Fun to use
- Fun to fight against.

As we've covered in this topic, some Pokemon are not fun at all to fight against - Blissey for example is well known for undoing several turns of work in just 2 turns, so she got nerfed to be a little riskier.

An example of a Pokemon who wasn't fun to use was Scizor - most carried Choice Bands and sat around just Bullet Punching and U-Turning all day.
We nerfed his attack a little - making the strategy less useful, but then buffed several of his attacks.
No when he runs a Choice Band, he has more options to choose from - making him more fun to play - and in many ways, more dangerous, even with his lost Attack.

2 random things about this statement.

1. Infernape isn't OU anymore
2. You don't see too many banded Scizors anymore because his bulkier swords dance set is much more viable in gen 5.

Psychic Power=Imagination+Dreams

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »
2 random things about this statement.

1. Infernape isn't OU anymore
2. You don't see too many banded Scizors anymore because his bulkier swords dance set is much more viable in gen 5.

Yeah, I'm kinda still used to Gen IV. Especially when it's OU - as I left V OU pretty quick.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Scorpion347

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2011, 04:40:34 AM »
I don't hate pokemon... I train a large variety and typically come prepared for the battle(assuming I know the patterns of who I'm up against). If I can't beat it... I figure out how, even if it means training a pokemon from egg to max.

Offline BlueFairy

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2011, 04:29:55 AM »

I love you <3

Back on topic, it's not cheap but i hate to play against it: Excadrill on sandstorm.

Offline RadioactiveLemon

• Beginning Trainer
  • I like the number six
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2011, 12:52:05 AM »

I love you <3

Back on topic, it's not cheap but i hate to play against it: Excadrill on sandstorm.
Yesh

Offline Ice Warrior Astral

• Normal Trainer
  • I don't suck, I refuse to be cheap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2011, 01:01:45 AM »
My unholy trinity:
Herrecross,Blaziken(SB) and Scrafty
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:35:33 AM by Ice Warrior Astral »

Offline Ridiculous_Notion

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 07:59:32 AM »
WARNING: following post includes request pertaining to the creation of Pokemon Universe!

Here's something frustrating (sometimes, at others it's a game winner) to point out: the "super effective" mechanic, that doubles damage no matter how strong or weak a Pokemon is.  This feels cheap when my Scizor receives a flare blitz from the opposing Vocarona.

While I was collecting the Pokemon cards, I noticed that the "super effective" damage modifier varied.  If it was a weak Pokemon, the penalty was less than normal.  Powerful Pokemon had harsher treatment to a "super effective" attack.  This makes sense when you think about balance. 

Imagine a Krookodile versus a Wormadam (plant cloak version).  The two are obviously not a even mach in overall power, so normally the Krookodile would wipe the floor with its under powered opponent.  BUT!.... if Krookodile took "super effective" hits at 2.5 times the norm, while Wormadam's "super effective" multiplier stood at 1.5, the bag worm Pokemon just might stand a chance... (or not, especially if the croc has already gone on a moxie boost spree)

What I am trying to say, is that the game could get a lot more balanced if how much damage a "super effective" hit dishes out would depend on the Pokemon receiving it.  Is it too late to include something like this in Pokemon Universe?