* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: A balance for weather abilities  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
A balance for weather abilities
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:36:03 PM »
I found a problem with Pokemon with weather abilities while battling on PO, and noticed that they are permanent, even after the Pokemon faints. Weather teams are highly overused because of this. I have a suggestion: why not limit the effect of weather Pokemon abilities to a few turns, maybe three or four, one turn for the activation, and three for it to fall. This would force a person to rethink they're strategy, and make it easier to battle weather teams. Of course, the stones that can increase the duration can be applied to these effects, but the point is, weather abilities are not permanent. I feel like this would balance the game.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Shadowfred

• Gameplay Balancer/Pretty cool guy
  • PU Team
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: A balance for weather abilities
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »
Weather pokemon will create their weather effect for as long as they are in play and for 5 turns after switching out. It's basically like getting a free Sunny Day/whatever on switch out. The stones also increase the duration on switch as well.

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:23:23 AM »
Personally, I think 5 turns is way to much for weather effects.  This is keeping in mind some of the pokemon that use weather effects in their abilities.  In 5 turns a Rain speed team could sweep away a few pokemon from most teams.  I think 4 turns is best coupled with the removal of abilities to bring  weather into play.

If it's 4 turns in perfect.  That gives whoever cast the weather 3 turns to do something in it.  5 is just to long. 

But the biggest thing is the removal of pokemon that call in weather on switching in.  I think this is a huge balance issue.  If you want weather you should have to use a move. 

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 01:23:52 AM »
I found a problem with Pokemon with weather abilities while battling on PO, and noticed that they are permanent, even after the Pokemon faints. Weather teams are highly overused because of this. I have a suggestion: why not limit the effect of weather Pokemon abilities to a few turns, maybe three or four, one turn for the activation, and three for it to fall. This would force a person to rethink they're strategy, and make it easier to battle weather teams. Of course, the stones that can increase the duration can be applied to these effects, but the point is, weather abilities are not permanent. I feel like this would balance the game.
I being a weather user find this completely fair. It usuly takes about 5 turns for my sand user to set up, then they don't really need it any more and the person just rage quits becasue they get pissed off. and i am realyl tired of poiltoed...

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 01:25:57 AM »
I being a weather user find this completely fair. It usuly takes about 5 turns for my sand user to set up, then they don't really need it any more and the person just rage quits becasue they get pissed off. and i am realyl tired of poiltoed...

You can't be tired of politoed and say that weather is fair...

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 01:33:53 AM »
i use sand... he is water do the math...

Offline Shadowfred

• PU Team
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:35:56 AM »
Well, we have nerfed the abilities regarding weather as well. Cortexjs was talking about the duration so that's all I addressed.

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 02:09:44 AM »
As Fred said, the duration was nerfed to permanent while in play and five turns upon switching out. If you have an issue with Rain teams sweeping you in the five turns after a Politoed has switched out, then perhaps the fault is with your team and not the weather.

Generally speaking, losing to another team comes down to two reasons: either the opponent played better than you and out predicted you (or utilized some very good switching), or your team is generally weak to a specific type of Pokemon. (The third option being that the teams aren't balanced at all, but that's why we're here: to make sure that third option isn't an option at all.)

If you have, say, five Pokemon with a weakness to Water, then in general anyone playing a Water based team is going to do well against you without trying overly much. So, what you would end up doing, is trading a few Pokemon out to cover up that weakness. Or substituting in a Pokemon that practically counters a Water team. (RE: Toxicroak.)

Now, I'm not saying that Weather doesn't give a huge advantage to the user. But, when you think about how well a Weather team does outside of their Weather, I think it's perfectly justified that they get boosts to put them on par with other teams. Not to mention, as Fred stated, we had already nerfed the general boosts they get.

TL;DR, Duration is fine. However, we are still tweaking the numbers on the boosts. And that is what our balance testers are for. (You guys are awesome.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:13:32 AM by Raikt »
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 02:33:12 AM »
Speaking of the balance testers.  I submitted an application to Lvl5P about may joining the testers but I never received a response.  I missed the original sign up while on vacation and was wondering if I could still possibly help out.

Offline Shadowfred

• PU Team
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 03:38:35 AM »
I'll try and get him to respond.

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 02:24:32 PM »
I am really lazy.

Anyway, yeah - duration is limited.
Have trouble waiting out the turns? Carry Protect or something.

If it becomes a problem, we will at least make the rocks useless on Drizzle/Drought/SS/SW users.

All weather Speed abilities have been nerfed to only give a 1.5x boost.
Solar Power only gives 30% I believe.

So, generally weather teams are far less dangerous. Also there are going to be more Cloud Nine users. Golduck especially counters the vast majority of weather teams hands down.

So that's sorta what we're doing.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »
Thats sounds a lot better. Thanks for the info.

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »
If you don't 'Weather Abuse', build a stategy around it. (Ex. Drought Ninetales or a pokemon with a weather move.)
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 12:53:18 PM »
If you don't 'Weather Abuse', build a stategy around it. (Ex. Drought Ninetales or a pokemon with a weather move.)

So, if you don't abuse weather - abuse weather?

Wat?

Also check my post count. Oh yes.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »
Ok, I think this has been resolved a while ago. This thread can be locked.