* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: The Ultimate New Trainer Guide  (Read 21789 times)

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
Re: The Ultimate New Trainer Guide
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 08:38:46 pm »
I wouldn't know, I just got the balance server back up on my computer today. :P

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »
Good topic but i would just like to address an error you made. Shell Smash is +2 to its boosting stats, not +1.

On PU it's +1

Shell Smash:
- Rescaled stat change from +2 Atk/SpAtk/Spe -1 Def/SpDef to +1 Atk/SpAtk/Spe -1 Def.

Oh wow thats... disappointing...

Strange considering you lose def in the process.  I mean quiver dance is only one but, you don't lose anything.

Indeed it is strange.

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 09:11:20 pm »
Cloyster does fairly well with the nerfed Shellsmash too.

Indeed it does. I actually don't see that it hurt it all that much. It used to lose 2 stats(1def and 1 spdef) now it only loses one.
Good topic but i would just like to address an error you made. Shell Smash is +2 to its boosting stats, not +1.

On PU it's +1

Shell Smash:
- Rescaled stat change from +2 Atk/SpAtk/Spe -1 Def/SpDef to +1 Atk/SpAtk/Spe -1 Def.

Oh wow thats... disappointing...

Strange considering you lose def in the process.  I mean quiver dance is only one but, you don't lose anything.
Thats very true. Testing isn't over and QD may get a nerf. It depends on the pokes that learn QD. If they are decent without it and completely OP with it then yes QD needs a draw back like shellsmash has, but if the pokes that learn it are dependent on it then it should probably stay the same. I could shell smash once on cloyster and sweep the opponents entire team. where I am rarely able to do that with..say...volcarona with only ONE QD. It usually takes at least 3 to COMPLETELY sweep an entire team.

Most pokes that can set up seem OP. You just have to know how to counter it or simply kill it before it kills you. I personally never have a problem with volcaronas, butterfrees or cloyster. The one I have had to most trouble with it poliwrath... hypnosis - sub - bellydrum - kill all
Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 10:22:38 pm »
I'm not really a fan of the "Tricky Attacker" post.

I have never heard that term in Pokemon before, and you're listing literally several different strategies - and labeling them the same thing.
What makes an ability a "Tricky" ability and others not?

You've pretty much lumped status inducers, phazers, spike abusers, one-turn set-ups, and a bunch of often useless gimmick sets under a single heading that no-one's ever heard of.
There are all very different strategies.

Plus yeah, I have never heard the term "tricky attacker" and I doubt I ever will.
I suggest you rename the post "Alternate Strategies" or "Uncommon Strategies" and go through editing references out, as well as clarifying what the post is actually about.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Maestro

• Balance Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 10:49:42 pm »
I'm not really a fan of the "Tricky Attacker" post.

I have never heard that term in Pokemon before, and you're listing literally several different strategies - and labeling them the same thing.
What makes an ability a "Tricky" ability and others not?

You've pretty much lumped status inducers, phazers, spike abusers, one-turn set-ups, and a bunch of often useless gimmick sets under a single heading that no-one's ever heard of.
There are all very different strategies.

Plus yeah, I have never heard the term "tricky attacker" and I doubt I ever will.
I suggest you rename the post "Alternate Strategies" or "Uncommon Strategies" and go through editing references out, as well as clarifying what the post is actually about.

I feel the "Tricky Attacking" section may be out of place in this guide.  The guide was meant to introduce new battlers on how to create teams in Pokemon Universe and understand how they are meant to work.

In regards to "Tricky Attacking", we must bear in mind, this was Cortex J.'s input, so I am not familiar with the term myself, and cannot comment on his efforts.
After reviewing the guide, I believe it would be best to remove the section on Tricky Attacking and Cortex J. can make a separate thread instead if he wishes.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:05:31 pm by Maestro »

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 09:32:28 am »
 Well I agree with L5Pidgey that all it needs is to change the title so as to not confuse people and rally strategies under one flag.
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!