* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: question about the pokemon ingame  (Read 12800 times)

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
Re: question about the pokemon ingame
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 11:44:10 PM »
In normal Pokemon, there are 3 basic contributions to stats:

Base Stats: Stats unique to each species of Pokemon (example Infernape != Blastoise)
IVs: Randomised on capture/hatch (0-31 range)
EVs: Gained as you battle (0-63 stat range)

We changed them as such

Base Stats: We have manually altered these for most Pokemon to make each of them good in battle, so Delibird, Sudowoodo, and Blastoise will all be useful.

IVs: Instead of being Random from 0-31 range, they are random in 15-31 Range. This means you're less likely to need to breed/capture hundreds of Pokemon for good stats (/have pokemon ruined by bad stats) - but if you do want to put in the effort, that will still help.

EVs: They will contribute the same amount, but rather than being gained by beating certain types of Pokemon, you will be able to distribute them as you wish as you level (somehow, still working it out).
This means you can train Pokemon competitively as you play, rather than having to reset them at Max level (because you couldn't control what you were battling) and respec.

That should be about it ^_^
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »
that explains a lot. Thanks L5P.

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 12:33:03 AM »

Base Stats: Stats unique to each species of Pokemon (example Infernape != Blastoise)

We changed them as such

Base Stats: We have manually altered these for most Pokemon to make each of them good in battle, so Delibird, Sudowoodo, and Blastoise will all be useful.

IVs: Instead of being Random from 0-31 range, they are random in 15-31 Range. This means you're less likely to need to breed/capture hundreds of Pokemon for good stats (/have pokemon ruined by bad stats) - but if you do want to put in the effort, that will still help.

EVs: They will contribute the same amount, but rather than being gained by beating certain types of Pokemon, you will be able to distribute them as you wish as you level (somehow, still working it out).
This means you can train Pokemon competitively as you play, rather than having to reset them at Max level (because you couldn't control what you were battling) and respec.

Thanks, and huzzah!  We can distribute (If it works out) the EV's.  It's something I think I touched on in another post/topic somewhere.  But, I think that's a huge step in the right direction.

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 10:04:45 AM »
I was thinking of something along these lines.

It's just an example, ignore the numbers. You have your EVs to distribute, Click on the respective Arrows to add them to the Stats.   
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Shadowfred

• Gameplay Balancer/Pretty cool guy
  • PU Team
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »
Yeah, that's the general gist of it.

Offline deadae

• Normal Trainer
  • Deadae is here!
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »
I was thinking of something along these lines.

It's just an example, ignore the numbers. You have your EVs to distribute, Click on the respective Arrows to add them to the Stats.
weakest nidoking ever
Rakia(Ra-kie-ya) Deadae(D-A-day)
"I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive!
I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise...
To fly!"

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »

We changed them as such

Thanks for this, saves me the time to find your other post related to this.

weakest nidoking ever

It was meant to be an example, really no place to joke here as this is a serious topic.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline sooosneaky

• Beginning Trainer
  • This is an EPIDEMIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 03:36:36 AM »
how will some ppl know were to put the ev points? becasue theres soo many types of pokemon wont it be diff? and how mant ev will we get each time we lvl up?
ISO SIG

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 05:46:31 AM »
how will some ppl know were to put the ev points? becasue theres soo many types of pokemon wont it be diff? and how mant ev will we get each time we lvl up?

This question makes very little sense...  Each pokemon (If the devs keep it the same) will be able to obtain 510 EVs.  And then you place them as you want. (Most of us will have certain builds in mind.)

Also does it matter how many you get per level, cause eventually you'll get the full 510 anyway.

Offline Shadowfred

• Gameplay Balancer/Pretty cool guy
  • PU Team
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 06:59:56 AM »
Okay, so that's kinda right. You won't get 510 ev's, you'll get 127, spread out over 99 levels (you don't get any at level 1). A single one of these "new" ev's will work like 4 of the old kind.

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »
Sounds like a plan. If we multiply it by 4 it becomes a 508, and two points you don't get to use anyways, so it should be similar.
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline sooosneaky

• Beginning Trainer
  • This is an EPIDEMIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 04:12:38 AM »
exactly my point... some ppl dont know where is best to distrubue for each pokemon... speed sp defence .certain pokemon will be better with points certain spots or?
ISO SIG

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 04:22:04 AM »
exactly my point... some ppl dont know where is best to distrubue for each pokemon... speed sp defence .certain pokemon will be better with points certain spots or?

Welcome to mmos

People who are new to WoW have no idea what skills to improve with their class. They learn by trial and error, seeing if things work or not.
Or just like WoW you can be a pussy and just look it up.

Its not rocket science.
The thrill in playing a game does not come from our chances of winning. It is the weight and pressure of losing that fuels our fascination. It is why people challenge, why they gamble and why they compete. The adrenaline that comes from defying defeat is what motivates us.

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »

Welcome to mmos

People who are new to WoW have no idea what skills to improve with their class. They learn by trial and error, seeing if things work or not.

Its not rocket science.

But, unlike Wow, you can just catch/breed another pokemon if you goof.  You don't have to make a whole new character.

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »

Welcome to mmos

Its not rocket science.

But, unlike Wow, you can just catch/breed another pokemon if you goof.  You don't have to make a whole new character.

Yeah pokemon is alot more forgiving in that aspect. But it doesn't change the fact that noone is going to hold your hand and tell you what stats to build on what pokemon.
The thrill in playing a game does not come from our chances of winning. It is the weight and pressure of losing that fuels our fascination. It is why people challenge, why they gamble and why they compete. The adrenaline that comes from defying defeat is what motivates us.