* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Examining other player characters  (Read 10121 times)

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
Examining other player characters
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »
Should we include a function so that you can /check someone out when you see them? This would display a small window with info about them.

Types of things displayable:

• Player name and level
  • NPC Gym badges earned (and whether or not they were repeated on hard mode
  • Clothes and equipment they are wearing
  • Optional by player - Pokemon currently in party
  • Number of pokemon seen/owned
  • Highest level of pokemon owned
  • Tournament standings, such as tournament points (if points are awarded for placing), or the top one or few placings achieved
  • Home town / affiliation - this is not necessarily set at the start of the game, afterall you can move house or change your nationality
  • Items in inventory that are for sale (possibly with the ability to buy automatically)
  • Custom short "/check message" written by player
  • etc.

Probably a good idea to add the ability to go /anon, which would hide everything except your name and what clothes you are wearing.
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Examining other player characters
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »
If it's doable (which im sure it is), i think they should implement it by all means.

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
  • legenadaries are just too OP... just too OP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 06:45:40 PM »
•Player name and level
•NPC Gym badges earned (and whether or not they were repeated on hard mode cool your implementing it! :-D
•Clothes and equipment they are wearing
•Optional by player - Pokemon currently in party
•Number of pokemon seen/owned
•Highest level of pokemon owned
•Tournament standings, such as tournament points (if points are awarded for placing), or the top one or few placings achieved
•Home town / affiliation - this is not necessarily set at the start of the game, afterall you can move house or change your nationality
•Items in inventory that are for sale (possibly with the ability to buy automatically) neat idea!
•Custom short "/check message" written by player[ should be shown when PM him :-) ]
"Call me Tom."

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 06:49:32 PM »
I didn't say we would implement hard mode, I have no idea if we will as it's not up to me. Also, I know a lot of people would want to brag about how many pokemon they have seen or captured :P Aaaand, the check message would be maybe 100-200 characters, which would be way too much for a PM type thing imo. But thanks for the support ^^/
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 06:58:29 PM »
mh. yea it would be cool if you could see that. but its not essential, isnt it? and /check message shouldnt be 200 chars long. who the hecks writing 200 chars of his personal status :-D

or do you mean kinda: personal information about the trainer?
"Call me Tom."

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »
Check message is like a forum signature. It would appear at the bottom of the check window, not in the chat box.

This is what 200 characters looks like:

Text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text. Text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text.

Not as much as it sounds, right?

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
for status: it is^^
for personal infos: it isnt ;-)

i thought you mean kinda status messages like: afk - eating and so on...

something you change often :-)
but i would like to see something like an personal info. a signature like you already said.
"Call me Tom."

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »
Having status messages is a good idea too. I hadn't thought of that.

Offline SnowWolfAlpha

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 11:47:37 PM »
You could have basic stats and extended stats. A player would see the base stats straight away but if they wanted to see more, maybe you could have some sort of permission system where the other player choose whether you see it or not.

Also I think showing the other player what pokemon you have on your team takes away the element of surprise and mystery thats part of the fun of battling. Maybe there could be just a blank image with the level next to it.

Or maybe just the level of the strongest pokemon, as shown in the first post.

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 11:53:20 PM »
  • Player name and level
Yes
  • NPC Gym badges earned (and whether or not they were repeated on hard mode
Yes
  • Clothes and equipment they are wearing
No
  • Optional by player - Pokemon currently in party
Nah not in-game. We're going to have a feature on the website which will create a "trainer card".
  • Number of pokemon seen/owned
Nah, maybe on the site
  • Highest level of pokemon owned
No real info here
  • Tournament standings, such as tournament points (if points are awarded for placing), or the top one or few placings achieved
Nah, maybe on the site
  • Home town / affiliation - this is not necessarily set at the start of the game, afterall you can move house or change your nationality
Hmm, you don't really have a home town since you're not born in our region :P
  • Items in inventory that are for sale (possibly with the ability to buy automatically)
Nope, for trading (sell) you'll have to be online to interact with the buyer
  • Custom short "/check message" written by player
You'll get a message when you receive a PM
[/list]
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline schindle

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 12:55:52 AM »
why dont you want to show clothes and equippement? especially that would be cool^^ such as a liitle preview of the char your looking at!

the charscreen could look like

Player / Pokemon / PvP at the top.

and the idea to make a 'trade-bag' is very cool. So you can see at a glance what the player want to sell. for that he has to be online, thats sure :-P
"Call me Tom."

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 02:55:56 AM »
why dont you want to show clothes and equippement? especially that would be cool^^ such as a liitle preview of the char your looking at!

I dont think anyone would care about what another player is wearing. So listing the player's clothes would seem a bit too much. (Unless the PU team plans to release an incredibly large selection of clothing.)

Besides that, I really like all of the other "examine player" option proposals.

Whether they're in-game or on the PU site, Im alright with it.
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Tymid

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Poke'clickables. =3
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 05:10:28 AM »
Oooh, I love this idea! Every other MMO I've played that has this feature makes the game much more in-depth and fun. Besides, it's fun to look at other people, especially when you're bored in a town. xD

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »
There will be a very large array of clothes available, and potentially earnable through quests. If I was an actual person walking around in the world, it's kind of silly that I can't see what someone is wearing. Not sure why dark doesn't want us to show off our trophies or pokedex completion, I know I'd love to do that. I really don't like having the site as a major part of the game, it takes away from the immersion. Plus we need some way of trading when you're not face-to-face, whether it's an auction house, a trade-bag, or both. It is very impractical to expect someone whose business is selling something basic and high volume like pokeballs to be online long enough to make enough sales, let alone to go to every customer. I don't wanna play travelling salesman, I want to train my pokemon.

Offline The Fireball Kid

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 10:29:41 PM »

I dont think anyone would care about what another player is wearing. So listing the player's clothes would seem a bit too much. (Unless the PU team plans to release an incredibly large selection of clothing.)

Besides that, I really like all of the other "examine player" option proposals.

Whether they're in-game or on the PU site, Im alright with it.

Actually, a lot of players do look at other players gear. It's almost like a guide for them to know whats good and whats bad, etc. Also, its for eye candy too.

Edit: Implementing the option "show all" or "hide all"

it's kind of silly that I can't see what someone is wearing. Not sure why dark doesn't want us to show off our trophies or pokedex completion, I know I'd love to do that. I really don't like having the site as a major part of the game, it takes away from the immersion.

I agree. I'd like to have something like a character info where I can maybe possibly search up the players name ingame and it'll show me his info. Or maybe instead of search engine, right clickin the player is fine too.

Plus we need some way of trading when you're not face-to-face, whether it's an auction house, a trade-bag, or both.

Yeah, Dark said we're having an auction house where we can sell off our items plus pokemon.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:35:59 PM by Victory »