* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Giant Pokemon  (Read 15106 times)

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
  • If I was a pie, I'd be a good pie.
    • View Profile
Giant Pokemon
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:49:58 PM »
So I was thinking about old Pokemon episodes the other day and I remembered the giant Dragonite in "Mystery of the Lighthouse". A lot of people just brushed this off as the anime not being sure whether or not Dragonite was legendary at the time, sort of like Lucario, so they made him gigantic and unknown but then later introduced him as normal sized and quite known. But here's the thing, Dragonite is not the only giant Pokemon. Now I knew this, but I didn't realize just how many giant or "above average" Pokemon have appeared in the anime. I myself remembered the giant Tentacruel at Hatoba Port, Gary's giant Krabby and Bruno's giant Onix, but then I looked it up and there's apparently a ton of these things.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Giant_Pok%C3%A9mon There's about 22 Pokemon listed that are classified as "giant" because they're way above average. It also mentions that in "Hey You, Pikachu!" you could catch giant fish Pokemon and then... well, then there's this from one of the mangas:

If that's not the scariest thing ever ... I mean come on...

What do you think? I mean could you imagine the destruction that giant Dragonite could cause? The thing collapsed a cliff with the swipe of it's damn tail...

Offline Hank

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Pokemon
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:35:29 AM »
I remember a episode were there was a gigantic Alakazam and Gengar. I don't really remember much but I think they had a feud or something. I remember seeing a bunch of scientist types in that episode.

Offline Monzta

• CharlesedickNB
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Effectively.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 04:38:54 AM »
That Alakazam and Gengar episode.. there were something like ancient pokemon artefacts.. made me think there was an ancient secret Pokemon was keeping >.>

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:21:24 AM »
I like when they talk about ancient Pokemon times. That giant Haunter was called "Black Fog" in the manga and was apparently so old that it lived in ancient times when man treated Pokemon like gods, and it was arrogant because of this. It terrorized Saffron City and Sabrina until Ash battled it, weakened it enough to be caught, but then it committed suicide with self destruct. Good stuff.

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:26:07 AM »
In the manga, he is called red. That is all.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:49:39 AM »
In the manga, he is called red. That is all.

Actually in "The Electric Tale of Pikachu" Manga, his name is Satoshi/Ash Ketchum, just like in the anime. Most of the characters retain their names from the anime, but are a lot more bad ass than their anime counterparts.

Offline TheSolx

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My dA page
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »
There are really HUGE pokemon out there, and I guess you already know that. ;D
Though most of them are Legendary (Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Arceus...), there are a few non-legends (Wailord...) and a few, like Gengar that can actually change their size in some situations... There are some others too, but I'm not sure which ones. Jigglypuff = Big when Balloon form

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:05:18 PM »
What do you think? I mean could you imagine the destruction that giant Dragonite could cause? The thing collapsed a cliff with the swipe of it's damn tail...

As stated by Bill from translations that Dragonite just wanted a friend and was quite lonely. But got scared away by Team Rocket when they started attacking it.

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline Bryan

• Lead Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »
Giant Pokemon would be cool to add to the game for boss battles, with Pokemon of course.

I haven't really read much of the manga. I did watch like the first six episodes when it came out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:54:19 PM by Bryan »
Deviant Art
Bryan-Mashaney
Check out the link above, for art updates on Pokemon Universe!

Contacts:
Email - [email protected]
Skype - Mashaney

Offline Mr.Dodo

• Normal Trainer
  • Sleepy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »
Yea i remember one episode after shipwreck in Kanto. There was giant fully evolved starters, Pikachu and other gigantic Pokemon.

Offline Reafer

• Normal Trainer
  • Gents Dandy Cookies Association
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 07:22:54 PM »
They never explained much about the ancient Pokemon thing that happened with Giant Alakazam, Gengar, and the Jigglypuff. Only that there was a fued and that they would destroy the world if Giant Jigglypuff wasn't released in time. Could that be related to the treating Pokemon like gods thing?
I love Turtles!
For I am the Turtle God!!!

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »
Well to dodo100, those Pokemon were electronic. They were part of a theme park owned by Giovanni.

On the topic of ancient Pokemon, yeah, they never really touched on it much. The history of the Pokemon world interests me because they tend to change/add to it so much that it kind of conflicts with itself. Personally, I think there's just way too many legendary Pokemon and to say that Professor Oak actually stated that only 150 Pokemon existed at one point is laughable considering how many there actually are. But I digress.

To Reafer, yes, it definitely could be. For one, the Haunter in that manga edition was so huge because it had lived for thousands of years, and I've read before that Magikarp were once larger and more powerful but something caused them to be pretty much useless at some point. So yes, Pokemon were definitely stronger and probably larger in ancient times.

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:34:33 AM »
That reminds me of nurse Joy's gaint magikarp friend from the orange island series. It was huge, but when it evolved it became a normal sized Gyarados,

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 07:49:55 AM »
That reminds me of nurse Joy's gaint magikarp friend from the orange island series. It was huge, but when it evolved it became a normal sized Gyarados,

What if it was still huge but thats just the normal size for a Gyarados? ;)

Offline TheSolx

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My dA page
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:01:56 AM »
Yea i remember one episode after shipwreck in Kanto. There was giant fully evolved starters, Pikachu and other gigantic Pokemon.

Those were robots, as was explained in the same episode