* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Poll

What do you think of Pokemon Contests?

I liked and played them a lot in the official games.
12 (24.5%)
They were ok, I played them a few times in the games.
25 (51%)
I didn't like them, the way you train for contests in the game is boring.
2 (4.1%)
I don't like the idea of contests at all, no matter how cool the in-game system.
1 (2%)
I like the idea in the anime but not in the game/ I have another idea for making them better.
9 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Pokemon Contests  (Read 11826 times)

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
Pokemon Contests
« on: December 25, 2009, 08:56:43 PM »
Pokemon contests! I personally tried to play them a couple of times in Emerald, but I didn't really train for it. My feeling was that it was just a series of hoops to jump through (excuse the pun :p), where you looked up your pokemon's movepool on some pokedex site, picked moves that had high ratings, and made a whole bunch of pokeblocks. It just didn't feel like your success was much related to "training", more like how well you researched.

I am definitely no expert on contests, perhaps I am missing something. So I would like to ask you all:

What do you like about contests in general? It can be from the games or the anime. Also, how would you improve them in PU?
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline Carbon

• The one who lurks.
  • Banned
  • Beginning Trainer
  • Ohai thar.
    • View Profile
    • Carbon on Twitter.
Re: Pokemon Contests
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »
Meh. They were okay I used them a few times.

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »
this is an interesting topic, because i always had a desire for some form of contests ever since watching the orange islands saga, unfortunately the games just don't do it justice.

i enjoyed playing the contests, but they really are not the highlight of the series. in order for the contests to be truly enjoyable and have a decent level of re playability more emphasis should be made on the actual participation and competition aspects.

when people have someone they are competing with they are more likely to enjoy themselves more, and therefore this may be the perfect opportunity for a tournament. a guild vs guild type competition may be a good target for contests.

also, the most favorable contests were easily (at least in my opinion) from the third gen (all though i am really excited by what i have seen so far of the hg & ss contests)
in other words, don't worry about the apparel of pokemon
(unless you are going to incorporate dressing up your pokemon at a separate barbershop or something, and have the edited features also affect their appearances in normal battles)
i say keep the move display (appeal) round of contests, but if possible have an experience bar for move sets as well, this way trainers will be required to develop their techniques a little more.

another round that might be fun, is an updated version of the dance from the diamond and pearl games, but it would definitely be more entertaining if it was made like the dance from loz: oracle of ages/seasons, where one person chooses a move (left, right, up, down, jump, pose, etc.), and everyone has to try and follow along
(for anyone who played those games and remembers dancing with the goron's, im sure you'll recall how much fun it was to move around, following the leader, and trying not to bump into the other dancers in front of or behind you)

but, probably the most enjoyable type of contest would be a hide and seek, scavenger hunt, or capture the flag type of match.

the only real problem with most of these, is the amount of sprites that would be required. as much as i would like to be able to compete in contests, i do not think it is a viable time managed task for the PU team to incorporate.
i would much rather have the PU team skimp out on making contests as it would just make the game take even longer to come out, and it really isn't the main focus of the games. however, i would like to see it in a future update, after the game is released.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 10:28:42 PM by spirit »

Offline sabbath

• Beginning Trainer
  • black sabbath rulez-bad karma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 10:21:23 AM »
they were okay :)
ozzy is the king

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:13:37 AM »
Hm, my memory's a bit hazy, since I haven't played in the contests in a while. (I usually beat the games first--or get really close--before I entertain the thought.)

I liked the contests myself. They were fun, entertaining, and required actual research and planning. It didn't matter the level of your Pokemon, nor the amount of Hyper Potions you brought. xD

My only real gripe was the Berry System--err, I'd like one that did not involve stuffing Pokeblocks down my Pokemon's throats all the time to achieve higher levels of the contest traits. After all, there is nothing cute about an obese Torchic. ;P

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:16:59 AM »
I would really like to see some creativity thrown in, showing moves in unique ways,

I know there are people who want to be Coordinators, I am one, and the games just sucked.

The 'Contests' in HG/SS are the Pokeathelon, a physical event. I do enjoy smashing blocks, but no contests?
I havent seen anything decent in that respect, and I know how hard it would be to get unique styles like that in. I know you guys are trying your best, and I appreciate your hard work.
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline neokills

• Normal Trainer
  • "I'd rather die on the feet than live on my knee's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »
are contest going to be in pokemon universe?
***Thanx to lucariox for this great signature***

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »
Did you read through, Neo?
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline neokills

• Normal Trainer
  • "I'd rather die on the feet than live on my knee's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »
Did you read through, Neo?

yes and there is nothing in this tread confirming that it will actually be in the game, only spirit mention something about it being in PU but he didnt say anything about it being or not being it the game he just said that he thinks PU should be working on the actually game because it would take too much time and work. unless you are talking about being in a different thread which I did not see (even though i searched "contest" and "pokemon contest" but i found nothing.
***Thanx to lucariox for this great signature***

Offline nonewnaga

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »
What the contest were missing was the battle portion of it

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 04:28:55 PM »
Well, it's because it's not confirmed yet...No final answer was mentioned about whether or not contests will be implemented.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 04:43:37 PM »

the only real problem with most of these, is the amount of sprites that would be required. as much as i would like to be able to compete in contests, i do not think it is a viable time managed task for the PU team to incorporate.
i would much rather have the PU team skimp out on making contests as it would just make the game take even longer to come out, and it really isn't the main focus of the games. however, i would like to see it in a future update, after the game is released.

I think this part of Spirit's post is the closest answer we are going to get.

In short, He's saying, "Not Right away, but I would like this to be added."

It isnt a 'Yes', but its not a 'No'.

Offline Cosmic

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 06:02:30 PM »
I feel that contests add would more flavor and variety when a player gets bored, not something that i would personally take much part in but i would check it out. Seems to me like a good thing to be implemented later on in the game after it has been released.

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 09:17:21 PM »
I feel that contests add would more flavor and variety when a player gets bored, not something that i would personally take much part in but i would check it out. Seems to me like a good thing to be implemented later on in the game after it has been released.

Yeah, See, thats pretty much what Spirit wanted.

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 03:13:39 AM »
why can't contests be turned into more like the anime where you can do combo moves and create dazzling effects of awesomeness
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.