* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: The name game: How your name says how attractive you are  (Read 18540 times)

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
The name game: How your name says how attractive you are
« on: June 11, 2012, 06:09:46 PM »
Alright you guys wondering why you can't find that one girl, even though you can do all the things right ton attract one. Have you ever considered your name can be a factor?

The answer: yes, it is a factor.

It turns out that women find some names more attractive over others. For instance, most woman find that a man with the name Ryan, or Micheal are highly attractive as it reflects success, while men named Paul, George, or Keith tend to project failure. The same goes for woman. Men find women with the names Sophie, Maria, and Lindsay for attractive than Helen, Anne, and Francine. Why? Your name is literally who you are, it defines you, and helps people call you out.

Your name alone will either be your best friend, or your worst enemy.

I read this, and thought "No, that would be too shallow, no one gets turned off by a name." Science says otherwise, don't believe me, write a list of the last 10 people you felt attracted to, then write a list of 10 people you would never consider dating. Only write the first name and leave personality out. Yes, it is another factor out of the many (Little fact, the bad boy concept is still around, known as the dark triad study, look it up), but for the sake of this one, stick to names. Take at your two lists and see if any similarities pop up, like a repeat name, or the lack/presence of the letter P, H, and O.

I for one am keeping my name, as I grown attached, but if you feel as though yours is hindering you, you can always get it changed.

(was going to put this in general chat, but decided to make a whole new topic. Plus, it gives you something to think about.)
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
Re: The name game: How your name says how attractive you are
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:28:48 PM »
now thats insulting.... geez... i am a girl here...
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 06:31:52 PM »
I did say that the same goes for women somewhere in there, but it's more likely for women to go off a name than men. The study is known as The Name Experiment if you want to read more.

And the results are here

The higher the percentage, the better it is.

That is just a small list, and there are a lot more names. Sadly, my name doesn't even show up, which is why I told everyone to make a list.

Offline CelaGhost

• Beginning Trainer
  • If we can't revolt, Monimex, then we shall riot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 06:54:34 PM »
They said 40 names were used so I think that's the whole list, which makes it a very short list. Plus there's no Winston on the list so it's total lackluster already.

Offline Pubbles

• Beginning Trainer
  • "A Severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
Oh, it's totally true.

There are names, once popular, that have fallen very far out of favor... Proof?

Create an image in your mind of a woman named Bertha.

She is probably not very tall, less than "attractive" and likely large...  (Note, I place "" over Attractive because the word and the meaning are subjective to the reader. There are far too many people with varying tastes to have an actual defined, and static meaning to the term, so if you are attracted to shorter, plump women, then please do not be offended.)

And for the girls/women out there, create an image in your mind of a man named Bruno.

He probably is tall, but wide, features much like a brawling bar patron, crooked nose, maybe a few scars.

It is truly normal, and you shouldn't feel judgmental (I always thought that was spelled with an e but google says no.) or mean.... It is simply how things have forced us to evolve and warp our way of thinking. There are those who break through the stigma and prejudice attached to their name, and many that look past a name... But all things considered, it is simply human nature to apply vast meaning to a name, including image.

A side note, most people fulfill the "destiny" of their name, it is mostly due to parents choosing names that are either connected through family ties, or project something they wish their child to become, mostly based on their heritage and place of origin...

Enough rambling for me... I chose my son's name based on meaning, and initials... Most families simply choose something popular or related through family, for instance, naming one's son after a grandfather.

Of course, we'd like to think ourselves above such seemingly petty antics when choosing a mate, but alas, we are victims to our human nature again!

=)
... ... ... Shh ... ... ... The walls have feet ... ... ...

Offline CelaGhost

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
You've definitely fallen for movie "propaganda".   :D

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 07:16:36 PM »
So have you. It's not that you're doing it blatantly, your brain is the one doing it to you.

Allow me to tell you of a friend of mine named Troy. He is a tall person with curly brown hair and braces. He is not that great to look at, as some women have told me. Well, not only would woman talk to him, they would give him their number. Me, being unlucky with women, asked him how he did it. He told me he simply said, Hi, I'm Troy, and the conversation would go from there. I decided to run an experiment. I got a picture of just his face and talked to about 20 women, They took one look at the photo and basically said eewww followed by who is that. I told them his name was Troy. 16 of them went from eeww to well, he does seem charming.  I did the same thing, 20 different women, and used my name instead. Only 2 had a small change in view, while the rest seemed to be more disgusted.

And it was all because of a slight change in name. You will never do it consciously, you brain will do it on its own.

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
myname doesnt appear there.
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
Alright, no one say their name does not appears there anymore, because I gave you an experiment you can run on your own using your own name. Obviously, the scientists can't do every name in the freakin world. Even if your name is not on that list, it still doesn't exclude you. It just means you name isn't as common as those, because the article states that those are the most popular first names.

How to determine where you fit in all of that

1. Get a picture of a friend of yours you believe to be attractive to the opposite sex, and one you determine to be the least attractive to the opposite sex.

2. Ask a set amount of people to look at on of the pics. They may ask who is that, if not continue on anyway.

3. Simply say, this is "......".

4. See if they have a change in reaction, like saying something different, or if they still have the same point of view.

5. Write down you result until you reach your control number.

6. Repeat steps 2-5 with the same pic, except using your name the next round with different people. If you want to continue, use names from that list as well. Don't forget to do the same thing for the otehr pic

The experiment will cost no money to do, and all you need is just a little free time. Have some friends join in on it as well to get and compare results.

Offline CelaGhost

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 07:48:45 PM »
So have you. It's not that you're doing it blatantly, your brain is the one doing it to you.

Allow me to tell you of a friend of mine named Troy. He is a tall person with curly brown hair and braces. He is not that great to look at, as some women have told me. Well, not only would woman talk to him, they would give him their number. Me, being unlucky with women, asked him how he did it. He told me he simply said, Hi, I'm Troy, and the conversation would go from there. I decided to run an experiment. I got a picture of just his face and talked to about 20 women, They took one look at the photo and basically said eewww followed by who is that. I told them his name was Troy. 16 of them went from eeww to well, he does seem charming.  I did the same thing, 20 different women, and used my name instead. Only 2 had a small change in view, while the rest seemed to be more disgusted.

And it was all because of a slight change in name. You will never do it consciously, you brain will do it on its own.

haha.. yes, very well-spoken. Although .. I'm not saying that I don't stereotype people. It's a 99.999% given that everyone will stereotype in some way. It's a pretty profound effect that society has on an individual.

But usually people don't stereotype due to a name but the appearance of someone.

Sure your story with Troy may be evidence for this name stereotyping phenomenon but women could like your friend because of his personality. Maybe they liked that he approached them and used his secret pick up line.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:54:08 PM by CelaGhost »

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »
To be honest, Troy is not the nicest guy in the world, a little on the geeky side, and has this he is better than everyone mentality. And yes, we use the factor of personality, and a long list of others when determining how we find some one attractive. The name, though seems insignificant, plays a large role in that process.

Go ahead, run the experiment for yourself, and see what you find. It may take some time, but I recommend getting some friends to do it with you so you don't feel weird. I do things like this all the time with some of my buds because we're bored and want to do something that seems productive. I even ran a test to see the range of human memory, but that's for a different day.

Also do the first thing, write a list of 10 people in your life you found as attractive, and 10 you didn't. You might notice a pattern.

Offline Henkie

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
I guess this doesn't work for engineering and science students like me. I'll just take what I can get no matter the name! :D

Offline CelaGhost

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »

I guess this doesn't work for engineering and science students like me. I'll just take what I can get no matter the name! :D
XD hell yes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:33:43 PM by CelaGhost »

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 11:10:46 PM »
Whenether I think of a name I just can't make an image in my head somehow. I can't predict what they would look like and I take people rather for who they are instead of looking at their names. Names do might have some kind of attraction but each name also holds it's own meaning, like my name is a combination of 'I swear by god' and 'mercy'.

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 11:38:52 PM »
I don't need a name. I'm just naturally good looking... and charming... and outgoing.

Did I mention modest?