* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Poll

Best Base Sprite?

Genbor
13 (31.7%)
Monzta
17 (41.5%)
Lubbies
11 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: July 09, 2012, 02:15:13 am

Author Topic: Paperdoll Competition: Round 2 (Voting)  (Read 33324 times)

Offline Pokemaster MAC

• Normal Trainer
  • Anima Terram
    • View Profile
Re: Paperdoll Competition: Round 2 (Voting)
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2012, 03:52:52 pm »
@ John Flame
The sprites don't really appeal to me either but any spriter can have it's ups and downs. If someone gives his/her reason for not voting I don't see harm into it. Pixelart is art after all and art will be critisized, liked and disliked. Some people can't really tell what's wrong with the sprites but want to share their thoughts anyway.  I usually give my reasons for not voting a certain art to make it have sense why I vote a certain piece of art.

I give an example:
I did't vote for lubbies because, first of all, the armor doesn't look metallic at all. I see not a single shine on the armor, and next to that the sprite seems very flat due lack of shading. On the other side he did a good job making the cape look properly attached to the armor. But sadly the torso-part of the armor looks more like some kind of shirt, than it looks like a piece of armor. Most romans had a breast plate and almost no plating on their arms.

This kind of explanation for voting can give the creator of the sprite an oppurturnity to improve his pixelart skills.

This, and the erased/deleted posts, are why I didn't want to explain myself when I said I was abstaining from voting. I just didn't want to look like I was an expert on something I know probably nothing about myself. Yuki here actually does know, so she can freely make points

Better to be quiet than to be a fool.
Corpsair, Decapitain, Sparcrow, Condurit. Stumpole, Steekee, Totember, Flaracuda... My current list of ideas for Pokemon.

Offline Bryan

• Lead Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2012, 10:32:07 pm »
All entries are great. You gotta think, these guys just started to do pixel art. They're not gonna have the techniques to make pixel art like me and Yuki. Considering we've developed these skills and techniques through the years. I'm simply looking for someone that'll go out of the box, to create something original and still have the look of what it represents.

The techniques and skills will be tought during the training process. But it is good to see people with these traits already, but not required.
Deviant Art
Bryan-Mashaney
Check out the link above, for art updates on Pokemon Universe!

Contacts:
Email - [email protected]
Skype - Mashaney

Offline Pokemaster MAC

• Normal Trainer
  • Anima Terram
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2012, 08:26:57 am »
It is very true. Which is why it's not my place to give criticism for that which I cannot judge.

I've seen amazing work here on these dolls, I tried my hand awhile ago, and my attempt makes these dolls' flaws look like perfect jewels.
Corpsair, Decapitain, Sparcrow, Condurit. Stumpole, Steekee, Totember, Flaracuda... My current list of ideas for Pokemon.

Offline FireDarkGuy

• Normal Trainer
  • Is this thing working?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2012, 05:51:01 pm »
@lubbies You spent enough time on your paperdoll, for me it looks pretty much like it's going to defend untill death ;D It's looking great, very realistic.
I LOVE CHARIZARD AND UMBREON!