* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Poll

Best Base Sprite?

Genbor
13 (31.7%)
Monzta
17 (41.5%)
Lubbies
11 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: July 09, 2012, 02:15:13 AM

Author Topic: Paperdoll Competition: Round 2 (Voting)  (Read 33528 times)

Offline lubbies

• Normal Trainer
  • why is a torchic in water?
    • View Profile
Re: Paperdoll Competition: Round 2
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 09:55:39 PM »
I won't be able to edit my roman so I guess that one is my final.
Grafics Cat <3

'If a stranger offers you drugs, say thank you because drugs are expensive.' - a wise man

Offline Pubbles

• Beginning Trainer
  • "A Severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2012, 04:26:05 AM »

Slight touch-up, I guess this is my final entry.

Erm, I don't know when he's gonna lock down the entry submission (I think it's posted, but I can't remember it right this second) and I also know it's late.

But just keep in mind that not all Kings have pointy crowns... There are several crown varieties that are curved, poofy and such... That are just as recognizable as a pointy crown!

Just wanted to toss that out there, since the rise and fall of the crests on the crown seem off a bit, I'd call them crenelations, but I don't know if that word applies to anything other than architecture!

But I very much like it, especially the imprint of the wait bearing leg when walking, in the cape. Most of the time you just see a slight curve up for a cape/mantle to intimate direction and dimension!
... ... ... Shh ... ... ... The walls have feet ... ... ...

Offline Pokemaster MAC

• Normal Trainer
  • Anima Terram
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2012, 01:18:51 PM »
Well what I did there, was remove one line from the eye (bottom one; eye = 3 lines) and replaced it with the "eyeliner", because when I used an eyeliner on the whole eye, it just looked like a big monocle.

ShedinjaEDIT: Here's the (hopefully) improved version. I modified some things that were pointed out to the best of my ability, and to my liking. I couldn't do a cute ghost/dark Pokémon's face due to spacial issues, but I made a PokéBand's logo (my own creation). Made it a bit more like a jacket with buttons because on it's own was a bit too plain for my taste.

Okay one thing here:

The eyes. They're in the same position regardless of the direction the doll is facing. I feel like it would make more sense for it to not be like that. If it's intentional, whatever floats your boat I guess.
Corpsair, Decapitain, Sparcrow, Condurit. Stumpole, Steekee, Totember, Flaracuda... My current list of ideas for Pokemon.

Offline The Fireball Kid

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Paperdoll Competition: Round 2 (Voting)
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 06:36:18 AM »
Emo kid could use some work on his clothing choice. And hair style too.

Kings face looks off. Might want to do something different there. The crown looks like a cake. No lie.

Spartan armor looks off. Need it more detailed.

Offline nightshade06

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 10:06:27 PM »
Okay, before anything I'd like to let everyone know. Genbor has replaced Amphi in the competition. Now here are the entries. Please vote on quality, how well they stuck to the description, and originality. Good luck to all.

Genbor - Emo Kid

Monzta - King

Lubbies - Roman Cosplayer

Here is my thoughts on them I have a bad habit of always seeing positioning of stuff to be wrong.....it just bugs me....

Genbor- as you can see his design he kept them all the same way on the shirt and hair and such....Which I really like...

Monzta-Cane second column last design....The can is in the opossite hand.....4th column first design...it is either broke or the top is in the right hand and the bottom is in the left O.o

Lubbies- Second Column 3rd design.....the strap all of a sudden reverses O.o

Other than those little things I think they all look great :D

Offline Pokemaster MAC

• Normal Trainer
  • Anima Terram
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »
Nothing personal to the three talented entrants, but I'm abstaining from voting this round. Why? I find too many things I disagree with on each of the 3 entries. I'm not going to explain which ones/why so I don't look like some Troll.

I will admit I'm disappointed because the previous round's renditions were better. I also take into account:

Higher difficulty
Less possible creativity

At this time, I'll be a good little boy and shut up.
Corpsair, Decapitain, Sparcrow, Condurit. Stumpole, Steekee, Totember, Flaracuda... My current list of ideas for Pokemon.

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2012, 03:33:37 PM »
Nothing personal to the three talented entrants, but I'm abstaining from voting this round. Why? I find too many things I disagree with on each of the 3 entries. I'm not going to explain which ones/why so I don't look like some Troll.

I will admit I'm disappointed because the previous round's renditions were better. I also take into account:

Higher difficulty
Less possible creativity

At this time, I'll be a good little boy and shut up.

No problem, you didn't really have to state it, but thanks... Anyways I honestly think this round turned out better then the previous one for everyone.
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline John Flame

• Good Trainer
  • Smite first,questions later
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »
I found it very hard to vote this round.

There wasn't 1 of them that spiked my attention,there were various,each with their downs and ups.
I'm just gonna say this before you read on,you might feel offended,for i am very "mean" in the way i say things,but if you will read,please know you are to be congratulated for most would not even get this far.

I liked the idea of Genbors Emo Kid and had my mind set on voting on it.But it seems i have a different interpretation of emo than most people do,i was expecting a black coat dude with a matching sombrero style hat,with a manuscript in his hand.

Then there was Monzta's King,when i think of a king,i do not aim myself at the classic pumpy bearded men dressed in gold and red.
Infact,i got more towards the prince look,the knight in his galliant armor,with his shield that keeps hope living on and his sword that punishes all those dark.So,i could not bring myself to vote here.

And finally,Lubbies Roman,this was by far the one i liked the most,from his starting schemes i never looked at it as a "chicken" perspective,and kept seeing a roman in there.In my pokémon roman,the only thing that his drawing lacks is the classic spear in the hand,and a separation from the chestplate and the gloves/bracers.If he showed skin between the shoulder and the lower arm,he would have got my vote from the start.Lubbies got my vote on this one.

P.S:I was deeply sad when i heard Amphi was not gonna participate anymore.I loved his fire type trainer to the core.

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2012, 06:05:22 PM »
 I'm also going to leave this here to prevent further confusion: Please vote on quality, how well they stuck to the description, and originality.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »
I would say that you started the flame war by your post containing your 'thoughts' on the chars because I believe that Silver (and me as well) find that a lot of the things you 'thought' was totally off the focus of this poll.

You have the right to state your opinion, but the fact that you intentionally 'slapped them in the face' was uncalled for. Just saying
I'm just gonna say this before you read on,you might feel offended,for i am very "mean" in the way i say things,but if you will read,please know you are to be congratulated for most would not even get this far.
is like saying sorry for intentionally killing someone.

If any of you have complaints about the sprites, then please SHOW us how you would have done those twice, thrice, or how many times you want, better.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline nightshade06

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
In my post I just pointed out the stuff that I thought was odd about them of the different positions of stuff is all :P I didn't mean to offend anyone if I did and I am sorry. xD

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2012, 09:49:20 PM »
 No nightshade06 yous was fine don't worry about it. :)

Offline nightshade06

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2012, 10:05:12 PM »
The best thing to do to show their flaws is to animate them :P

Offline lubbies

• Normal Trainer
  • why is a torchic in water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2012, 10:55:01 PM »
I don't think I put enough time into my paperdoll but an important family event came up and I had no access to my laptop for the last week.  :P
Grafics Cat <3

'If a stranger offers you drugs, say thank you because drugs are expensive.' - a wise man

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »
@ John Flame
The sprites don't really appeal to me either but any spriter can have it's ups and downs. If someone gives his/her reason for not voting I don't see harm into it. Pixelart is art after all and art will be critisized, liked and disliked. Some people can't really tell what's wrong with the sprites but want to share their thoughts anyway.  I usually give my reasons for not voting a certain art to make it have sense why I vote a certain piece of art.

I give an example:
I did't vote for lubbies because, first of all, the armor doesn't look metallic at all. I see not a single shine on the armor, and next to that the sprite seems very flat due lack of shading. On the other side he did a good job making the cape look properly attached to the armor. But sadly the torso-part of the armor looks more like some kind of shirt, than it looks like a piece of armor. Most romans had a breast plate and almost no plating on their arms.

This kind of explanation for voting can give the creator of the sprite an oppurturnity to improve his pixelart skills.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:07:14 PM by Mr_Dark »

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.