* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Balanced or unbalanced?  (Read 39662 times)

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
Balanced or unbalanced?
« on: September 11, 2012, 05:23:52 AM »
Played on the balance server and found a pokemon that seemed too weak or too strong? Tell us here! Please remember to give us well thought out reasons why you think it is balanced or unbalanced. Simply saying "it sucks!" isn't going to get you anywhere.
Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Balanced or unbalanced?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 01:22:39 PM »
Jumpluff

Jumpluff is out classed by other support pokemon like vileplume for example.Its alslo outclassed by whimsicott in the "annoying pokemon" role. Vileplume has better defences ,typing ,and a much better ability. While whimsicott has prankster which is a massive boon for a "annoying" pokemon.Jumpluff can't take any hits ,and it can barely dish them out. Jumpluff on the offensive is also very weak. I was able to switch into a sleeping macargo ,so I swords danced twice then was unable to 2HKO. Did I mention it wasen't even at full health.

If jumpluff is meant for a support role which it has the movepool to do , then the att/sp.att buff really wasen't needed. A buff to defences ,or health would be a much better improvment. There are alot of things you could do that would make jumpluff good though ,without changing what it does best. If you removed leaf guard for magic bounce (hey its bouncy) then it could switch in on a status move ,and encore reflecting the status. You could then t-wave/sleep powder what ever switches in ,and you now have crippled two pokemon. Oh ,and it woulden't miss leaf guard since leaf guard is pretty much a worse magic bounce.

Anyway there are alot of things you can do here ,or you can not do anything at all I really don't care about jumpluff to begin with.

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 05:22:27 PM »
Azumarill

I've mentioned before that the only way it can do good damage is with huge power, but it has another good ability in sap sipper that it just doesn't have the stats to use. It needs a special attack boost, which wouldn't effect huge power. Better speed would make it a better sweeper, instead of relying on aqua jet to attack. Sap sipper lets it switch into a grass attack, but after that what is it going to do? Even if someone still used huge power with its higher SpA, a frail mixed sweeper isn't going to be broken.

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:11:58 AM »
Azumarill, I don't really know what to say.  It doesn't really need anything right now.  It has the potential to wipe out whole fire teams, (It's happened to me a few times) so I don't really think it should have more speed.  If fact if you want to raise it's speed I'd say it should lose Aqua Jet.  I don't think with huge power and a speed buff it should have priority.  Kind of like how Mammoswine lost ice shard.

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 05:19:47 AM »
Well if you can make sap sipper more viable, assuming you don't just give it to another water type, then it wouldn't be too terrible if Azumarill sacrificed priority for a speed boost.

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 06:41:31 AM »
Azumarill

Well from what I have seen with Azumarill, it is able to pull off sap sipper. Miss Wednesday has a set and has used it against me and others and it seems to work pretty well. I don't really see Azumarill getting a speed boost or losing Aqua Jet. But I will see about giving another water type sap sipper. No promises though. Remember, we don't balance around mono teams. So Azumarill sweeping mono fire teams or Azumarill not being able to pull off a sap sipper set for a mono water team isn't something we are going to balance around.

Jumpluff

I can't say too much about this one cause I have only seen it in action a few times. But, from what I remember, the set that shadowfred was using against me seemed to do pretty well. Shadowfred will have to shed more light on this.
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:45:14 AM »
I will second the azumarill thing not because its weak right now by any means ,but because sap sipper is being totally wasted on it. Its kinda sad that there aren't any other water types sap sipper would make since on. Well there are a few ,but they have been balanced already ,so ohwell.

This would kinda go against balance goels aswell being they just want each pokemon to be a viable choice ,and to keep them pretty much the same.

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 07:11:52 AM »
.....but because sap sipper is being totally wasted on it. ........

I wouldn't go that far. I don't see it being wasted on it by any means. People always go for the huge power build and never think to make a sap sipper set. I think people often forget Azumarill has a very nice HP stat. While it's defensive stats are lacking, it has moves to help with that such as Charm, Amnesia, Light Screen and Captivate

I think a simple tweak in Azumarill's moves will fix the problem. Currently Azumarill is not able to have Belly Drum and Aqua Jet/Focus Punch at the same time. If we make it so it can, then you could build a set that looks a little something like this:

Azumarill (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Focus Punch

Switch in on a grass attack. Hopefully this will force out your oppenent and leave you with a free sub. Belly drum on the next turn and be free to Aqua Jet everything in sight.
Damage Calculator

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 10:00:19 PM »
Maybe carrosta  could get sap sipper. Hard to justifi ,but its not like anyone will start  a riot over the sap sipping sea turtle. Thats off topic though.

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 04:04:59 AM »
An abiity to remove a heavy weakness sounds really good. Gorebyss comes to mind too, since sucking fluids is how it eats.

I've never seen corsola used. It likely needs balancing too.low speed and health, and its good stats aren't too great.

Offline The-Blades-slave

• Balance Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • I heed the command of the blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 05:59:24 AM »
Sableye

I find nothing majorly wrong with him. He has low defense, so many physical attackers could beat him, except for WoW. It can have him take a hit, and then with reover, it is a matter of stalling. Now I have no problems with this, it works well.

However, with access to taunt, he can stop many things. He has trouble with set up pokemon, using this, he can stop them. Sableye has no weakness, so set up sweepers help with this. But taunt freezes them. I by no means am questioning the balance, just pointing out what I see.

~The-Blades-Slave

Daylin: 35/100

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 06:11:58 AM »
I think removing taunt from sableye would solve the problem. I think it needs WoW because of its low defense. But, that taunt just completely stops special setup sweepers and if they can't set up then they can't get by its bulky special defense. Sableye not having any weaknesses is the only reason that the removal of taunt is needed in my opinion.
Damage Calculator

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
So we  haven't really reached a conclushion  on the jumpluff thing......any thoughts?

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 07:22:17 AM »
I'm currently the only active balance member. Shadowfred and Ponge are very busy at this time.(University, Jobs, Life ya know?) Give them some time and they will make a post.
Damage Calculator

zylonnick

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
I'm currently the only active balance member. Shadowfred and Ponge are very busy at this time.(University, Jobs, Life ya know?) Give them some time and they will make a post.

I'll start to be more active again starting next friday, since college, sport and work are literally absorbing any amount of free time I have left. Things should settle down by then. To get back on the balancing topic: Azumarill is fine the way it is, why change it. Jus ask fox how much fun it is (especially in the rain). We could make another Sap Sipper water type to compensate for that (as Roloc stated). The set Roloc proposed would also heavily OP if avaiable with the Huge Power ability.

On the Jumpluff issue I won't answer yet because I've never used it and I will have to look into is. The only thing I remember is it's massive speed in the sun due to the  Chlorophyll ability.

Sableye is pretty good he way it is atm, I don't understand why so many people have trouble with him. There are alot of ways to stop him, he isn't that strong defensively.