* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: Rock Slide  (Read 7928 times)

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
Rock Slide
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:07:13 am »
Rock Slide
Power        75
Accuracy    90%
Effect:
Rock Slide inflicts damage and has a 30% chance of causing the target to flinch.

Proposed Change:

Rock Slide
Power        75
Accuracy    100%
Effect:
Rock Slide inflicts damage and has a 30% chance of causing the target to flinch.

Reason:
Physical rock type pokemon have no reliable stab attack. They are forced to choose between attacks that all have either 90% or lower accuracy. (Rock Slide, Stone Edge, Rock Blast, Head Smash) While lots of the other types have choices. Blizzard or Ice Beam, Fire Blast or Flame Thrower, Hurricane or Air Slash, etc. You may be thinking "100% accuracy on a flinching move? No way, thats too OP" But do you say the same thing about the elemental punches? They all have a status chance and are all 75 power and 100% accuracy. Physical rock type pokemon need a stab that they can rely on. 75 power and 100% accuracy isn't very high power but will give a choice to make. Rock types can then choose low power but high accuracy rock slide or high power low accuracy stone edge/head smash.

What are your thoughts on this? Please give well thought out reasons behind whether you agree or disagree with this change. Thanks!
Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Slide
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:29:29 am »
I Think Rock Slide should stay the way it is.

Reason: Rock Slide might not be a very powerfull move with just 75 Power, but Rock Slide its a move that everyone uses in Double Battles, to prevent Pokemon like Volcarona and Charizard to do or try to do damage, if you change it's accuracy to 100%, others will have no chance to evade it, and take the hit directly, and since it has a 30% chance of flinching, it's more trouble than it seems.

For example: This happened to me once, i was going so well in a Double Battle, having a Volcarona and a Scrafty in play, my last two, my opponent sends his last two, a Dunsparce and Conkerdurr. My Volcarona had -2 Speed and my Scrafty too, For whatever reason, i think it had a Choise Scarf, his Dunsparce attacked first, using Rock Slide, it OHKO my Volcarona, and dealed little damage to my Scrafty, then my Scrafty was going to attack but was flinched because of Dunsparce Serene Grace (My opponent told me after) which rose the flinch chance, and his Conkerdurr used Mach Punch which KOed my Scrafty, and i lost.

To resume this, Rock Slide it's allready a powerfull move, if you make it with 100% Accuracy, more powerfull it will be, so it's better to leave it as it is.
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 06:34:18 am »
Volcarona/Charizard are going to be OHKO'd by any rock attack, 4x weakness does that to ya. Heck when they get hit by rock blast(base 25 damage) the first hit does 70%+ to them. So rock slide staying the same accuracy won't effect them at all. Rock throw would kill them both so...yeah.

The Flinch chance could be dropped some. Maybe to 15 or 20 % but no lower then that. As stated before there are plenty of other moves that have effects and are of equal or higher power (Elemental punches, flamethrower, etc) Rock needs a reliable stab. Rock Slide seems to be the way to go. Stone Edge is already a perfect move. Head Smash is just what it is, high risk with high reward, and lastly Rock Blast...pretty much just a sturdy/sash breaker but still has its places in teams. That leaves Rock Slide.
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:47 pm »
If you lowered to base power to 70 then maybe this could work out. Although you know what really needs to get buffed? The elemental fangs!

zylonnick

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 11:21:49 pm »
If you lowered to base power to 70 then maybe this could work out. Although you know what really needs to get buffed? The elemental fangs!

Already on that ;)

About Rock Slide, I agree with roloc's last post, it wouldn't hurt too much if the flinch rate dropped to 15-20%.

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:39:16 am »

Yeah the fangs have already been discussed. :)

Already on that ;)

About Rock Slide, I agree with roloc's last post, it wouldn't hurt too much if the flinch rate dropped to 15-20%.

Shadowfred and I were talking about it the other night on PO. We think the flinch chance might be fine the way it is. After all, waterfall is 80 BP and has a flinch chance and is 100% chance to hit. physical rock really needs this. I think it will be fine. and later if it turns out to be OP then we can always nerf it. but for now I think it should stay the way it is but just be buffed to 100% acc
Damage Calculator