* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Helping the poor little girl [Quest]  (Read 5775 times)

Offline Quote

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Helping the poor little girl [Quest]
« on: February 21, 2010, 01:21:35 AM »
There's a little girl who's standing outside of a forest. She moves back and fourth and then stops to stare forward.

-Little girl: Oh...My poor little skitty.

>What's wrong
>This is none of my business (Ends dialogue right here)

-Little girl: My poor skitty! I was training it and this big mean pokemon came up and scared it! It ran into the forest! I want to go after it, but my skitty is my only pokemon. Everyone else is ignoring me...

>If I run into your skitty I'll return her home, okay?
>I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with finding her. (End)

-Little girl: You will? Oh thank you so much! Please hurry!

(At a certain point in the forest you will see a hole which will read:)
-You see a small hole. Nothing of interest.

(But if you have the quest)

-You see a small hole. You hear a pokemon crying out from the other side! Enter?
>Yes
>No (so you can return later)

(You enter and it's a straight line with no pokemon. You get to the end and you see a skitty and a pokemon. I'm unsure what, but it'd be fairly high leveled for your group to take on and possibly at its most evolved state. Maybe something like a Steelix or Rampardos.)

(The skitty begins to back up.)

-Steelix: Roar!

-Skitty: !!!

(Rock hits the steelix.)
-Steelix: ?!

(Pans over to you. You throw another rock.)

-Steelix: ROAR!!!

(He Runs at you and touches you, starting a fight.

This pokemon would possibly be about 10-20 levels higher than the rest of your pokemon. So if the average you SHOULD have at this time would be 30 it would be 40-50.

This pokemon would be catch-able, and in which case could be the benefit from this quest alone.)

(After you win you go over to the skitty. It runs around you in circles)

-Skitty: Meow!!!

-The skitty seems very happy. The skitty is now following you!

(The skitty follows you. You talk to the little girl.)

-Little girl: SKITTY! Thank you mister!

(The girl runs off with the skitty. The skitty stops and turns around.  She/He runs back at you, and then it runs back to the girl.)

-The skitty dropped something at your feet. You pick it up.

Obtained item: I don't know soothe bell maybe?

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
Re: Helping the poor little girl [Quest]
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 03:03:29 AM »
its not too bad of a quest, but it doesn't sound like it will fit into the game format though

Offline Quote

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 05:45:51 AM »
Yeah I was afraid of that.

Well the rock throwing could be replaced with you just running into it, the skitty following you until you talk to her can be replaced with it going inside you (like most party members do in rpg's), and the tunnel can replaced with something I dunno I just thing a skitty standing there getting attacked by a bigger pokemon would have to be in its own area quest only.

If you have ideas on tweaking it I don't mind. I don't get offended when people edit stuff I made. Improvements are improvements. Me making them or not doesn't make a difference honestly.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 05:48:27 AM by Quote »

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:03:29 AM »
I don't think you fully understand why it wouldn't be possible (at least not like it is). I understand what your saying, and the way you have explained things in your reply sound very reminiscent of many rpg's.

The problem is really more with simplicity. In PU (an MMO) it is easier for all events and characters to appear and be visible by all people; when you have random sprites that act differently for multiple people simultaneously in the same area, things become rather complicated. Basically, even though it is possible to make an action only visible to one person, it does make coding more difficult, and take a longer period of time, not to mention it might look strange if you have a bunch of people in a cave together doing such a quest separately.

Do you understand? (I hope none of that sounded rude, I'm just trying to explain as best I can; you see, I love hearing people's suggestions (even though it can get tiresome if they don't sound very good), and the only way for peoples ideas to get good are by learning from feedback. I'm sure you understand that principle. Keep trying.

Offline Quote

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »
I get what you mean.
You're trying to say that going into that tunnel is to complicated because that would either:
A.) Force you into a new server to put you by yourself which would take lots of coding
B.) If people were in the same area everyone would see the cut scene differently depending on when they activated it, and in which case not only the coding for this scene would be rather difficult, but everyone seeing a different part of the cut scene at the same time would ensure the lag to be most horrendous.

Not to imagine the final part where she's running off with the skitty. If everyone there completing it was forcing them self into their own server and out the coding and the lag would be painful.

That's what I think you mean at least, and in which case I do understand why that would be hard.
Plus, don't worry. While sometimes criticism may be harsh it's only to improve upon the work at hand. Whether it be me or someone else an improvement is an improvement, and in which case it benefits everyone more. So don't worry I don't take criticism harshly, and in fact you said yours quite nicely.

I would try to edit it to make it more simple, but no matter which way you look at it, if you give the Skitty a quest that's as simple as possible the only way to do it is to put a Skitty npc that starts a fight, but even after you finish the quest the Skitty would still be there, and that would be rather odd since you did give it to the little girl.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:25:48 PM »
Plus, think about the sprites. PU hasn't yet confirmed that pokemon sprites will be made upon the release, so you miight not have any pokemon sprites which will be able to follow trainers around for now.

Overall, I think that some other pokemon can be used instead of Steelix, one which is not necessarily that strong. A Loudred perhaps? :D

Or if you want to keep Steelix, it must be hard to catch. It's original catch rate is already low.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »

I like this guy!

Offline Quote

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 03:25:46 AM »
Plus, think about the sprites. PU hasn't yet confirmed that pokemon sprites will be made upon the release, so you miight not have any pokemon sprites which will be able to follow trainers around for now.

Overall, I think that some other pokemon can be used instead of Steelix, one which is not necessarily that strong. A Loudred perhaps? :D

Or if you want to keep Steelix, it must be hard to catch. It's original catch rate is already low.
That is true. I didn't think about that.

Well that was my original idea, and steelix was a placeholder. I thought that the catch rate would have been low, but perhaps I didn't clarify that. Sorry .-.

Yet aside from that any "decently" strong pokemon would work. I was just using him as an example because, you know, he's a more...forceful pokemon.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 02:00:38 PM »
Don't worry, all posts here are mere suggestions. Except the PU team, we can't really say which one is better than another  :)

I was looking for an easier pokemon since it's more at the beginning of a trainer's adventure. Looking the other way, if many trainers catch that Steelix early... you see what I'm drawing to.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 03:30:48 PM »
I like this quest. And as for having stuff only visible to the player doing the quest, it will probably be possible.
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline Quote

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 06:19:42 PM »
Well they said trainers also get levels right? Like the trainer themselves?

If that's the case that system will probably be used in order to represent what kind of pokemon level you can use. Meaning if your trainer level is low, and your pokemon is high level, it will probably disobey you. So that might be the con to the steelix. Sure it's good, but it's gonna be sleeping and ignoring you most of the time so you can only use it when you get yourself at a higher level.

That's if it's going to do that though. If it isn't you are right the pokemon should be weaker because that Steelix will be mowing everything down for that lv30 who got it.

I like this quest. And as for having stuff only visible to the player doing the quest, it will probably be possible.
Awesome.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:23:29 PM by Quote »

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 06:23:51 PM »
You got great thinking skills, lol! Yes, I didn't see that. That might very well solve that problem :)

Offline Quote

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 06:32:32 PM »
You got great thinking skills, lol! Yes, I didn't see that. That might very well solve that problem :)

Also: I thought of some ways to simplify it.

Instead of you going into a hole making a very complex and hard to do cut scene it could be you talk to a bush. The bush would read:

It's a bush. Nothing of interest(No quest)

It's a bush. It seems to be rustling. Investigate?
>Yes
>No

You look through the bush and a skitty latches onto you!
-Obtaned skitty!-

-You hear a strange noise in the distance.
-It seems to be getting closer!

-(Pokemon) Roar.

(Fight catch whatever)

(Return skitty)

Little girl: Oh my skitty! Thank you mister! Here, I found this a little while ago. I don't seem to have any use for it, but it's all I got to thank you with. Please take it!

(Obtained item: Something)

This one seems a lot more "do-able" since it doesn't involve anything complex.
I mean if they want to use the complex one I'm not arguing lol, but if they plan on making it simple...well here it is :3
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:36:45 PM by Quote »