* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: [Official] Game Development Update  (Read 42941 times)

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
[Official] Game Development Update
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:24:09 pm »
Intro
After some massive delays - due to various reasons - the update is finally here (partially). *yeey*
I can make this a big introduction but you don't want to hear me ramble on about insignificant stuff. We hope this update will satisfy your "PU-needs" for now until we release some more :)

The update is split into parts so it's easy to see what each team has in store for you when the game actually comes out. We will post some additional updates in the near future, so stay tuned for more :)

Happy reading,

PU Team

Development
Team: Mr_Dark, Urmel, Zatir

Client & Game Server
Over the last few months there is not much that has been changed regarding the game client or server. Most of the base features are already done and we could not continue without game content.

Features which are completed:
  • Player and NPC movement. (We put a lot of effort in this, walking should be smooth even for Australian and USA players.)
  • NPC spawning and interaction (quest and shop)
  • PvP and PvE battles
  • Outfit customization
  • Chat (local, world and private)
  • Dynamic weather system. (For now you don't see any of this in-game, but it's used for battles)

Once there is more game content available we shall continue development and implement new and awesome features. Development may go slow, but we take great care in finding bugs so you guys get a stable game and can enjoy the game instead of fighting bugs (unlike another Pokemon MMO).

Game Client
Below you'll see some mock-up screenshots of the current GUI. They have been posted before, but for the people who haven't seen them.

PokÉditor
For those who don't know PokÉditor is the name of the game editor which is used by our mapping and quest team to create an exciting and dynamic world for you to explore.
Our latest developer addition - Zatir - has taken the task on him to further develop this software so it can become a core component in our workflow.

At this moment the real mapping started a few days ago. In the pictures below you can see how our current editor looks like. Please note, these are made from a test-environment, so this won't be the real map and real used names. Just for test purposes only. Zatir is still busy developing the editor, so every team member can use the editor for his/her own development position.

Some of the possibilities, some are already completed:
  • Quest writers will add their quests
  • Pixelartists test their new sprites
  • NPC developers create NPCs
  • NPC developers create shops
  • NPC developers and balancers create pokemon teams for NPC battles
  • Mappers can map, create locations, add a pokecenter, add music, add NPCs
  • And more to come ...

Art
Team: Bryan, Yukimenoko, Whitepinkbun and Monzta

We have been working hard to get things going. I wanted to show a lot of paperdoll stuff, but there is quiet a bit of editing and recoloring I need to do before I show it. On the same note, the female sprite is post-poned and probably will be released later in the game for the female players, I apologize. We will be working on getting four sets of items for each part of clothing for starter clothes, for your character. So your character will even be unique at the beginning of the game, with many more items to purchase, with game currency,  in the game.

There has been 200 tiles added to the tileset over the past three days, giving Kamaran a good beginning with making levels. This includes, Pokemarkt, Pokecenter, and Harbor/Dock. I have plans to have more uploaded here within' a few weeks or so. You'll probably see a lot of the graphics update in Kamaran's update, than mine.

Wish we had more to show you, and eventually we will. But for now this should help everyone get an idea of whats going on in the art department.

Map
Team: Kamaran

Music
Team: Hiteryan

Quite a bunch of songs are already done for the game. However it is more fun to drop them slowly around. This time you'll have the chance to listen to yet another battle theme! You can download this and a few other tracks from the game at Hiteryan's Last.fm, under "Pokémon Universe Original Soundtrack Vol. 1" or you can use the link below to directly listen to the newly available Gym Leader battle theme. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdo6n1b8fzc
http://www.last.fm/music/Hiteryan/Pok%C3%A9mon+Universe+Original+Soundtrack+Vol.+1

Quest/NPC/Story
Team: Declan_23, Spirit, Cortex J.

Here's a little taster of what we've got for you, in the form of an in game newspaper:

Additionally, we have some character bios for you guys:

Name: Fisherman Fred

Bio: A late arrival to the laid back beach town of Port Ouro, he originally planned on only staying a few weeks for a relaxing holiday. However, within a few days the exciting fever that swept across Miryus caught him up. No other fishing spot had such a variety of Pokémon, and the huge influx of explorers and new trainers meant that there was a more than substantial living to be made from selling his catches. The main attraction however, proved to be the atmosphere of the area. The all year round sunshine was a perfect breeding ground for surfers, swimmers and fisherman, all of whom have an avid interest in anything water type. Although this many people sharing one stretch of water has caused issues in the past, Fred has done his best to stay neutral in the disputes, and his small hut is located far away enough from the main bay to have been relatively unaffected by the recently built pier.
   Fred can usually be found fishing or in his hut with his large rod collection, something he is willing to explain to any aspiring fishermen or women. If it’s more of a battle you’re after then he can usually accommodate an eager trainer’s needs too, he regularly takes part in the local water type tournaments to keep his skills sharp.

Name: The Hooded Stranger

Bio: A traveller who enjoys spreading gossip at any moment. He seems particularly fond of the PU development team. Seek him out to hear all the enticing details of the team, and his personal opinions on the region.

Name: Kieren

Bio: Little is known about Kieren’s past, all that anyone knows is that he was there before the Rockbound Village was. He became one of the region’s gym leaders after proving his prowess with the rock type Pokémon by battling and defeating the man originally appointed as Rockbound’s gym leader. After his embarrassing defeat, he ceded the title to Kieren. Kieren claims that his basic life in the wilderness keeps him, his Pokémon and his tactics tough, and although his gym is technically in the caves beneath the village, he has been known to hand out his badge to strong challengers in the wilderness.

I want to help!
Did you get excited after reading and watching all the awesome stuff we've made and now you want to help us with something?
You're in luck because we have some open positions which might suit you:

Of course you can always apply for another position on our team. Just post your job application - with some info about yourself and of course the position you'd like to fulfill - in the Jobs forum and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:09:47 pm by Kamaran »
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: Game Development Update
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:35:25 pm »
Psh, Declan fails at spelling 'Johto' xD

Keep it up guys! ^^

Also, I'm practising so I might be a little more useful art-side. Might take a while, because I really want to be good at it. Plus, I know I have some things pending here and there T~T. I haven't forgotten about them, Declan knows I'm working on one of them and, the other one... Let's say I'm working on it too.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Zatir

• PU Developer
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:18:22 pm »
Nice update, things are really progressing right now! I'm already looking forward to the next big update!
Zatir - PU developer
Current project: Creating the Pokéditor

Offline nightshade06

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:55:13 pm »
I hope I am not the only who noticed that about that first encounter pic :P I don't know if someone decided to troll or what....

Edit: I really wish I could help with the pixel artist thing... Would be awesome to have something I did in the game... just too bad I suck at it lol.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:02:38 pm by nightshade06 »

Offline Hiteryan

• Music Composer
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • Oh gawd awesoem.
    • View Profile
    • Hitey's YouTube
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:03:54 pm »
Looks grand!
Something's wrong with my Last.fm, the download link for the Gym Leader battle theme isn't working :c
I'm gonna try to get that fixed soon, no idea what's going on.
Pokémon Universe Music Composer Guy Dude Person!
Hiteryan on YouTube - Vimeo (I'm a filmmaker too!) - last.fm

Offline GrizzlyEatsKids

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 04:58:05 am »
I hope I am not the only who noticed that about that first encounter pic :P I don't know if someone decided to troll or what....

Edit: I really wish I could help with the pixel artist thing... Would be awesome to have something I did in the game... just too bad I suck at it lol.

Same here. The only things that I'm good at have no positions available. Oh well, we can still offer support at least!  ;D
0 Aiden 0/100
0 Kayla 0/100
0 Zoe 0/100

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 03:23:48 pm »
[...] The only things that I'm good at have no positions available. [...]

And what is that, if I may ask.
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline NexosYourGayBestFriend96

• Normal Trainer
  • Reality's Exit . . .
    • View Profile
Re: [Official] Game Development Update
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:53:56 pm »
Looks great so far! :D I might do good as a pixel or vector artist, I'll try to come up with something to show before I ask to join either one.
. . .

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 11:13:00 pm »
 Fabulous post Mr_Dark, I got goosebumps from reading the newspaper, very well done guys! I'm looking forward to the new updates!
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline aircutter360

• New Trainer
  • pokemon rules!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 04:06:52 pm »
Wow this looks great I love the look of the battle interface. Nice work Pokemon Universe team!!  ;)

Offline nightshade06

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 12:18:24 am »
Lol now we are going to all be like crack addicts!!!! Never can have enough! o.o MOAR xD jk

Offline JustRed

• Beginning Trainer
  • I'M NEW! BE NICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:20 am »
Omgggggggg Ultra Awesome i can't wait :(
Does the game has Gyms? :)

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 11:49:13 am »
Omgggggggg Ultra Awesome i can't wait :(
Does the game has Gyms? :)

Yep, and even more than the usual 8

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline JustRed

• Beginning Trainer
  • I'M NEW! BE NICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 07:11:25 pm »
awesome,but sorry because i'm saying this:When the game will be finished(   
approximately) ?

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 07:13:17 pm »
Just wait for it :)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...