* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: Mega evos and PU  (Read 7219 times)

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Mega evos and PU
« on: August 11, 2013, 12:58:40 pm »
We all know what mega-evos are by now ,and a lot of peaple are unhappy with them. Despite this I still think they belong in PU ,but not the way the mechanics seem to working as of now. Right now it seems like  you give the stone to the pokemon and when it is sent into battle it transforms into a better version of that pokemon.  Not only does this contradict with PU's goals(use the pokemon you like not the one that is strongest) ,but it creates a balanceing problem. See if I want to use normal absol ,but thier is a pokemon that does everthing absol can do but better then well that puts me in a sad spot. Now lets say PU balanced the mega forms(balanced like lickitung and lickilicky), they would ofcourse need higher stats than the normal form since they can't use items. I think this  would just be a silly hassel when thier is a easy solution!

Make the mega forms function like a seperate pokemon! Here is how it could work: You use a mega  stone on absol(Just like you use a leaf stone on gloom) ,and it turns into its alternate form. In order to revert it back you need to speak to a person in some town and for all small fee she will revert your pokemon to its orginal form , or maybe you can just use another megastone on the pokemon idk. 

The alternate forms would have diffrent stats ,but not better ones. Just like lickiting and lickililicky! Like mega-absol is slower,with less attack, but higher defences for example.

To summerize mega pokemon are likely to be op ,but the pokemon metagame is very unbalanced to begin with so it will not be a huge deal ; just fuel to the power creep fire . PU has a balanced metagame though ,and mega-pokemon with the current mechanics have no place in my opinion. I hope you listen to my suggestions!

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: Mega evos and PU
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 01:13:49 pm »
After the last reveal, I don't think that this will be a huge problem. The stats of the mega forms could be revised to lower or higher depending on the species' stats in the mega evolved form.

Also, there's something they said in that release: Mega forms are temporary and only one pokemon will be allowed to evolve during a battle. I think that it doesn't pose any great 'threat' to the existing balanced pokemon as it sort of acts like a joker pokemon or something.

Of course, things are rather at an early stage and if things change, my opinion can change.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:20:43 pm »
As Jerry has already stated, I don't think mega forms will be that big of a deal. If you ask me, they are just another form of choice items that raise stats. Now of course the balance team will make sure each mega form will be balanced. The pokemon being forced to hold the stone already puts it out for holding other popular items such as focus sash or the choice items.

Most likely the mega pokemon will just be balanced just like any other pokemon but will not become separate pokemon.
But as of right now, it's too early for us to make any decision about the mega pokemon because little is known about them.

Remember, PU wants to stay close to the original pokemon without too much of a drastic change.

Don't worry, Ursaring, I'll make sure I do the mega pokemon justice in thier balance. :D
Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Ursaring

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:23:17 am »
Thanks for the replys guys! What I meant was make them like keldo's forms , the same pokemon but not the same pokemon if you see what I mean. They just seem unbalanced since you may only have one on your team at a time. Also I know the PU balance team will balance them , I just think the mega-evos are starting to look like a bad idea.

Just my 2 cents though.