Pokémon Universe > Trainers Lounge

Rebuilding the Forums (The "Official" Thread)

(1/5) > >>

TrainerX:
Introduction
    I think it's about time we try to get the forums active again. The site has been nearly dead for far too long now(Thanks to those who stuck around and kept the forums from dying completely). This needs to change. Why? If the forums die, the game will likely go down with it. If you've been paying attention over the past few years, you should have seen how the activity of the forums affected the development of the game. For those who haven't been here long enough, I'll explain it a little. It's pretty simple, it shouldn't take much explaining.

If the forums are active, then the development team has higher morale. There's much more feedback, there are more people that can assist with the development, and they have more awesome people to talk to in their free time. If the forums are inactive, however, this is reversed. The team has a lower morale, because there is less feedback, less development, and it seems like everyone has lost interest at times. This is one of the reasons why the development is taking longer than planned. You may not realize this, but making something that is intended for other people to enjoy when no one seems to be interested anymore is hard.

The dev team is still working, which is commendable, but you can't blame them for not working with as much fervor as they previously did. Besides that, some members of the team have had to leave for personal reasons. People have had to leave from the beginning, but there were always people who joined that could replace them. Now, though, nobody is joining the forums anymore. So there is no one to replace the members that left the team.

The solution to this problem is obvious then. Very few new members are joining, and this is because the forums aren't active. So, to get new members to join, and get old members to return, we need to get the forums active.

The Purpose of This Thread
     The purpose of this thread is to get people involved with the figurative "reconstruction" of the forums. Just a few people isn't going to be enough to achieve our goal, we're going to need a lot of people if this is going to work. This thread will also be the place where people can post ideas, discuss, and ask questions about things pertaining to the reconstruction of the forums.

How Can I Help?
     Since we are just starting, our methods of making the forums active will be simple at first. I'll list a few things that can be done right away:

* Start new threads.
* Contact old members and invite them back to the forums.
* Post! If you can contribute to a thread in any way, do so.
* Advertise! Let other people know about PU. (If advertising on other forums, please don't advertise obnoxiously, and make sure the rules allow you to advertise this website. Some forums do not allow advertising or have certain restrictions in place.)
     The more threads, members, and posts there are, the more active the forums will be, and new members will want to join. Start threads about anything you think could spark conversation. Don't worry too much about your thread dying and cluttering up the forums. At this point, I don't think anyone really cares if the thread ends up with only three posts and gets locked. This doesn't mean you should go around making a ton of really useless threads. If there is a game you like to play, make a thread about it! Try to give a detailed explanation of the game and what it is, link to the main page, and try to get some conversations going. Maybe later on, you'll be able to get a clan of PU members running.

If you know some of our older members that have left, or have their e-mail address or know some other means of contacting them, invite them back to the forums. Let them know that we're trying to get the forums active again.

This one is pretty obvious. If you don't post, then we're can't make any progress. If you feel like you can't contribute to a conversation, see if you can get someone to explain the topic to you, or ask questions. You don't always have to know everything there is to know about a certain topic to join the conversation.

If you have more ideas, please post them! If there's anything you think would help, let everyone else know!

I know there are a lot of people out there that have said that they want to help with the game, but can't because they're not good at pixel art, or can't program, or they're not good at mapping, etc. If you're one of these people that wants to help the PU team, this is a way you can help. By getting the forums active again, you will be helping the team out more than you realize.

That's all I've got for now, I apologize if it's not very well written. I'm not the best at putting my thoughts into words. If you spot any errors, or have suggestions for things that could be added, don't hesitate to let me know! And, of course, if you have suggestions for things we can do to get the forums active again, or have anything to say relative to the rebuilding of the forums, please post! I will continue working on this if I think of anything that could be added.

Note: This thread is a work in progress, and will likely be that way for a while. Feel free to post anyway, the main stuff has been included.

Triloog:
Would it perhaps also help to make some sort of advertisement for Pokémon Universe on other forums and facebookpages, Pokemon related or not?

I've tried to get some of my facebook friends to help and join this forum.
Even though I'm afraid most of my friends will not be able to contribute to this forum, perhaps it will work for others. :)

Edit: perhaps it's a nice idea to make a topic about why people joined Pokemon Universe in the first place?
Nostalgia sometimes helps people to starts doing certains things again.

Roloc:
IT would also help if everyone liked our facebook page. We reveal some map concepts on there from time to time that you may not see on the forums.

TrainerX:

--- Quote from: Triloog on March 02, 2014, 11:33:19 PM ---Would it perhaps also help to make some sort of advertisement for Pokémon Universe on other forums and facebookpages, Pokemon related or not?

I've tried to get some of my facebook friends to help and join this forum.
Even though I'm afraid most of my friends will not be able to contribute to this forum, perhaps it will work for others. :)

Edit: perhaps it's a nice idea to make a topic about why people joined Pokemon Universe in the first place?
Nostalgia sometimes helps people to starts doing certains things again.

--- End quote ---
Yes, advertisements would be helpful. Just make sure that you're not being obnoxious or breaking any rules if you advertise on other forums. Some forums have rules against advertising, even in signatures.

Even if your friends won't be able to contribute to the forum, try to get them to join anyway. Many of the conversations here in the past involved things completely unrelated to Pokemon. I remember a few people who actually didn't play Pokemon that joined because a friend invited them, and stuck around because they liked the community. Actually, if I remember correctly, Mr. Dark doesn't like or play Pokemon. Urmel is a Pokemon fan, and got Mr. Dark to help with the project. I think that's how PU got started.

--- Quote from: Roloc on March 03, 2014, 01:21:36 AM ---IT would also help if everyone liked our facebook page. We reveal some map concepts on there from time to time that you may not see on the forums.

--- End quote ---
I was aware that there was a Facebook page, but I thought it kind of died in 2012. Too bad I rarely ever use Facebook.

Roloc:
Facebook is alive and kicking. Been doing great with it the past week.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version