Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner

Reviving the Roleplay Corner

<< < (2/6) > >>

Humen:
I just want an RP that can last for a few dozen pages that  doesnt have people flaking out on it.

@Toast

about the GM word is law. I dont think its a bad rule but if the GM gets too a point were he's being overly strenuous about people's post and the rest of the group agrees things are being unfair then  GM may want to revise what he's doing.

The-Blades-slave:
The main reason the corner died is simple. We rushed RPs, pulled plots out of our asses, and never thought anything through. Characters were often forgotten and left behind, and it would be very hard to get them back in when they came back. Most importantly, though, it just stopped being fun.

I never really ran my own RP, but I sub-gmed for the majority of ones released over the past year or so. They all encountered the same problem. People would become impatient and just move on without others. In GU, for example, a single battle could take one day to, in a few cases, two weeks to wrap up. People would get bored waiting and so by the time the battle would conclude, no one was there.

Like I said, I was never a real GM and wasn't that great at RPing anyways, but that's what ruined most of them for me.

GrizzlyEatsKids:
This is a big post, and I encourage everyone to read it all, but if you can't, I'll bold the topics and suggestions most important, and if you are interested in helping the RP section return, you should definitely look at those.

--- Quote from: Xetroc on March 31, 2014, 05:53:24 PM ---I think reinventing the format and having a workshop will help a lot, because I thank the RPers here for giving me the courage to actually show my work, and eventually join the team. I feel part responsible  for the decline as well, and want to help.

--- End quote ---

While I don't have an issue with the 3 thread format we have going, I'm open to any suggestions on revising/formatting it. I don't have any ideas on quite how to do that as of now, though. As for a workshop/FAQ/Guidelines, I can begin putting that together now. I welcome anyone who would like to help me in putting that together, and if any of you are, message me. On that same note, if anyone has any question that they think could be beneficial to the RP section at all if answered, send it to me in a PM and I can see about getting it into the Guidelines/FAQ thread.

--- Quote from: Flamelass on March 31, 2014, 06:43:13 PM ---My usual problem is that I don't know how to react usually. So I really hestitate to post. Aside from that I have the habit to just go straight to the point of what I write and keep it short that way. ^^;

--- End quote ---

Well, not knowing how to react can generally be a problem for anyone, but I'll see what I can do by working something to do with that in to the FAQ/Help thread. This also tends to cause a delay in posting time, and leads to a loss of interest, because, as Blades mentioned, events and such sometimes take to long to get through, and then too many people are left sitting doing nothing, And, not anyone specifically, but in general, I find people tend to really rush through their posts, not putting much effort into it, and that leads to an overall decline in interest of the RP.

--- Quote from: rajlev on March 31, 2014, 06:56:14 PM ---I think one of the problem is that everyone wants to be the main character, and GM can not put limits on development history, then as a character is fighting a mid ocean marine snake, another is sleeping, the other playing cards, one buying utensils and others are in an epic battle, and lost sense of the post, since they are scrambled and messy. I think RP should have a goal set from being created, and set limits to the freedom of the characters, as it loses all meaning to do something different and out of the main objective of RP. It also often happens that players want to be omnipotent or invincible, and the fights become never ending.
I think RP should be made so that all the characters are even, with an applicable role, if not achieved, then the participants get bored, and if the GM continues the RP leaving behind many of the characters, favoring only a few who post more or involve him more, the RP ends up being only for a few and then when they stop posting the RP dies.
So, i think one of the reasons why it is closed by the players, although specific rules are given, still trying their characters are superior to others in any way.

--- End quote ---

We've generally been able to iron out issues such as being OP and invincible, but we've all been guilty of overstepping those boundaries and taking things too far. I find that debugs always help iron out the flaws in a character, and what if we took a look at making debugs mandatory? Not everyone can be a main character, but at the same time, nobody really wants to play a background character that doesn't matter. What I've found helps is to have a multitude of major NPCs that are all influential to the story and help tie it together. I first tried this in the first Kingdom Hearts RP I did, and it is in an already established world, so having those NPCs is a little easier. Having those characters kind of gives an anchor to the story, and it gives everyone the ability to be important without taking over. The entire RP followed characters like Sora and Riku, who were already established as main characters in that universe, and there was no overshadowing them. Players were also a part of different factions, and something was almost going on in each of them, or at least as much as I could have them doing as GM, and that sort of helped the whole "There's nothing going on for me" issue. Everyone was typically always given a task, always had something to do, and that kept it engaging. As for posting more, I can't help if people don't stay active in the RP, especially if they are always online and can post anyway. As for some players not being as involved as others, I believe that, while it is in part due to how active and ambitious the RP'er chooses to be, it is a big part of the issue that should be fixed.

--- Quote from: rajlev on March 31, 2014, 06:56:14 PM ---Also, i think something that may be good, is recounting the story, so there is a control of activities and the players may be able to remember the story, so they dont lost and keep on to the main goal of the RP

(sorry for the misspelled, i used google traductor)

--- End quote ---

I think, like I briefly mentioned in the first post, that this is definitely doable. It can be placed right on the first page of an RP thread, right under where most of us have been posting the plot summary. I think it could be a good idea to look into making the GM posting an ongoing summary of the RP's plot a mandatory part of running an RP, just as a general plot of the RP is required.

--- Quote from: VisceralToast on March 31, 2014, 07:44:17 PM ---
--- Quote ----Annual or Semi-Annual Roleplay Awards
Why don't we reward RP'ers for their efforts? We could have some sort of community voted awards every so many times a year, where members of the community vote for things like best post, best profile (or user with best profiles), best dialogue, best quality, etc. We could have a separate thread set up for this to recognize the winners.
--- End quote ---
I know of a role-playing forum that does this. They have a pretty large community there, and I guess it's kind of a big deal to them. I dunno though, I've never taken any interest in it.

--- End quote ---

Granted, our RP community isn't that large right now, but would anyone else be interested in having an RP Awards?

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ----RP "Hub"
Yes, we have all sorts of RP chats all over the place, such as PO and Skype, but what if we moved it to PU? We could have  a sort of Hub thread where people can come to talk about RP's in general, as well as discuss their upcoming projects, make suggestions for the RP section, and get feedback on new RP ideas and profiles.
--- End quote ---
I like this idea. Another plus is that it would help to keep the OOC threads a little cleaner.

--- End quote ---

I agree, and this could help people really iron out RP ideas before posting them, which could lead to better developed, more well thought out RP's. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ----Guidelines and Tip Section
While we have standard rules for RP's and RP'ers, why don't we sort of update it? While their isn't a major problem with it, maybe we could change things up and require more quality and more frequent participation? Coinciding with that, what if we had some sort of tips set out for RP'ers? Like tips, help, and FAQ's giving advice that spans everything from replying to posts on RP's, creating your own, and general writing etiquette.
--- End quote ---
There are a couple of things in the rules I think should be changed. Specifically, I would like to add a rule which is used on the aforementioned role-playing forum: "The GMs word is law." I don't know if this has been a problem over the past year, but a couple of years ago when I was still RPing, there were a few instances of people arguing with the GM or what is/isn't fair, or what GMs can/can't regulate, etc. I think this rule could help to prevent conflicts like this from popping up as often.

The other thing I would change is this:
14. All RPing, and discussion about the RP must commence within a SINGLE thread. This means that separate threads for "playing" and "planning" are not allowed. It is not necessary for these two parts of the RP be divorced, and it only serves to clutter up the forum.
I'm not sure if this rule does not permit an OOC thread, or if you just can't have a thread solely for planning stuff(in addition to an OOC thread). It either needs to be rewritten or removed.

I think the tips section would be a nice addition.
--- End quote ---

The tips/guidelines thread is in the works. As for the GM's word is law, I have sort of always incorporated that into my RP's, but, much in lines with Humen's concern, I've always been open to the thoughts and suggestions of others, and that is also why having a Sub-GM helps, as they can catch things that you as GM won't. And as for those rules, being that the RP section has changed and adapted many of them are not followed any more, hence is why I think it may be a good idea to revise the RP rules.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ----New RP Format
Again, I'm just brainstorming, but what if we changed the way that RP's were laid out? What if GM's kept up a summary of everything to happen in the RP so far? I don't have a problem with the way we have RP's set up, such as sections for Profiles, OOCC, and the RP, but is there a way we can improve it? This format, which could go in line with revised rules/guidelines, could possibly demand for more, deeper development of RP's, therefore there would be a higher chance of it reaching a conclusion.
--- End quote ---
Not sure about this, could you explain further about what you want to be changed?

--- End quote ---
This one is a bit more complicated. We currently have a 3 thread system for profiles, OOCC, and RP. I personally don't have a problem with this, as I feel it works well, but is there a way we could change the format of each individual thread to make navigation easier? Is there a way we can change how RP's are done or presented that could not only make RP's fresh and more inviting, but a bit more user friendly as well?

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---Verification
What if we had some sort of "test" that had to be taken before you could host an RP? What if each RP had its own requirement for participants to join?
--- End quote ---
I don't think I'll be on board with this. When somebody who is unqualified to host an RP tries to do so, you can usually tell by reading the thread whether or not they're capable enough. I can't really think of a good way to test someone for that.
--- End quote ---
I get what you're saying, and it makes sense. What if RP's had some sort of requirement for members, though, such as a 400 word sample or "story" of sorts that must be included with their character when they submit it? It could check for dedication and true interest in the RP, help them develop some sort of past incident, other than just the usually very generalized backstories, and find any kinks in their character that may not have been encountered in a debug.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ----Goals
Each RP should have goals and deadlines to meet in order to keep RP'ers motivated and to keep the RP moving along. The RP could possibly even take short breaks after completing goals to prevent fatigue.

--- End quote ---
Interesting idea. It could help if the system is implemented properly.

I'll try to think of a few ideas of my own, but it may be a while before I get a chance to post them.
--- End quote ---

I agree, and I'm open to both suggestions about implementing a goal system, as well as any other ideas you may have for the RP section in general.

--- Quote from: Humen on March 31, 2014, 09:08:25 PM ---I just want an RP that can last for a few dozen pages that  doesnt have people flaking out on it.

--- End quote ---

That's the biggest part of what we're trying to solve right now.

--- Quote from: The-Blades-slave on March 31, 2014, 10:23:38 PM ---The main reason the corner died is simple. We rushed RPs, pulled plots out of our asses, and never thought anything through. Characters were often forgotten and left behind, and it would be very hard to get them back in when they came back. Most importantly, though, it just stopped being fun.

I never really ran my own RP, but I sub-gmed for the majority of ones released over the past year or so. They all encountered the same problem. People would become impatient and just move on without others. In GU, for example, a single battle could take one day to, in a few cases, two weeks to wrap up. People would get bored waiting and so by the time the battle would conclude, no one was there.

Like I said, I was never a real GM and wasn't that great at RPing anyways, but that's what ruined most of them for me.

--- End quote ---

Yep, this is in part due to people deliberately being inactive, but there are many other faces to this issue as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember the KH RP covering all characters fairly well, as I addressed when answering rajlev.  We need to keep everyone involved throughout the RP, even in an event that doesn't necessarily concern them. I know that sometimes characters that aren't involved in a conflict or battle may still be present and will have to react, but, at least for those that are only a couple of characters, what if the RP'ers conduct the battle or conflict away from the main thread, like in Skype or PO, and then one of them posted it here when it is finished? I people have different schedules and timelines, but if we could work something out along these lines, even when dealing with only conversations and not combat between a few characters, I think it could help solve this problem somewhat.

Desbear:
I like most of these idea's, but there are a couple that I don't get along with and such.

--- Quote ----Verification
What if we had some sort of "test" that had to be taken before you could host an RP? What if each RP had its own requirement for participants to join?
--- End quote ---

This is actually my only complaint. If we went by this system, people like Blades wouldn't have been able to show off his writing, or even improve it. Like when he made the first two RP's he made, which, he's not proud of, but everyone had fun, you know, why RP's exist.

Another thing is, there's actually a Rule I'd like to do away with, and it's the, "No RP'er should control more than one character" Rule we break constantly...

Anyways, I vote we do most of this, and actually start up some RP's again. And when we do, do it. I vote we make sure to have two RP's going at a time; A pokemon RP, which I can supply, and a non-pokemon RP. As to, hopefully, cater to a larger group of writers. You get my drift?

GrizzlyEatsKids:
That all makes sense to me. I do have an idea that I've been thinking about for a while for an RP, and I actually have some "physical" items, so to speak, such as downloadable pdf's that go with the RP, but I'm not willing to post it until we can get the section fixed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version