Official Forums > News & Announcements

Website offline and future of PU

(1/12) > >>

Mr_Dark:
Website Offline / Server Crash
Last Thursday one of the hard disks in my server failed which caused the website to load very slowly or not at all. Unfortunately I was away for the weekend and was unable to fix it, but now (as you can see) the website is back online.

Future of Pokemon Universe
Since almost nobody is working on the game anymore, I'm open to suggestions on what to do with the website. If you have a nice idea for a (Pokemon related) website which fits our name (Pokemon Universe), feel free to post it in this topic or send me an e-mail.

As it stands now, the website is just a waste of money and bandwidth.

- On average the website still gets about 100 unique visitors each day
- The website still ranks high in search results related to "Pokemon"
- I'll be willing to "sponsor" the domain and website hosting, so you'll only be in charge of the website itself.
- The new website can be a reformat of the site we currently have or something completely new

Let me know if you have any questions or if something is not clear.

Nivida:
Hay MrDark,

I stay online here 4 years or more..
In this time a have made a apprenticeship as computer science (programming) in Switzerland.
Now I Work on a project called: www.ganked.net

When its done.. i will made a Canvas Pokemon Online for my portfolio but i havent any graphics..
Maybe you wanna send me the PU graphics for my freetime project?

Greez Sam

Embertine:
I am severely dissapointed in this. I had been waiting for sooo very long to get to play the game. I'm sure if you had only released a working beta for people to play online on, than this project may very well have gone much further than this.

I wish That this was finished.  :'( :'( :'(

spartandc:

--- Quote from: Embertine on June 23, 2015, 08:05:06 PM ---I am severely dissapointed in this. I had been waiting for sooo very long to get to play the game. I'm sure if you had only released a working beta for people to play online on, than this project may very well have gone much further than this.

--- End quote ---

I agree, i have been following this sense back in 2009, it could have come to become a great thing and it is very sad to see it go. Sadly things happen and i understand that, but even so i still have at least some hope this game will be made. I dont want to pressure anyone but hey, even if the game didn't and doesn't get made at least we got to meet some very amazing people. Here is to hoping everything somehow works out and this game becomes a thing again! Even if it doesn't i hope that everyone who has been on here has a great life and will continue to have a great life from here onward!

Mr_Dark:

--- Quote from: Embertine on June 23, 2015, 08:05:06 PM ---I am severely dissapointed in this. I had been waiting for sooo very long to get to play the game. I'm sure if you had only released a working beta for people to play online on, than this project may very well have gone much further than this.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: spartandc on June 25, 2015, 11:24:21 PM ---I agree, i have been following this sense back in 2009, it could have come to become a great thing and it is very sad to see it go. Sadly things happen and i understand that, but even so i still have at least some hope this game will be made. I dont want to pressure anyone but hey, even if the game didn't and doesn't get made at least we got to meet some very amazing people. Here is to hoping everything somehow works out and this game becomes a thing again! Even if it doesn't i hope that everyone who has been on here has a great life and will continue to have a great life from here onward!

--- End quote ---

Over the years we've worked on PU with great enthusiasm, but we had a lot of set backs - mainly regarding art. Of course we could have used sprites from the original games, but we were too proud because we didn't want to be like all the other games. Looking back at it, it would have been better to use the original art and then later upgrade it, but yea, we were young back then and didn't knew better.

Time passed by and more people on team started to lose interest in the game, Pokemon in general or maybe they (like me and Urmel) graduated and started working full-time. I work full-time as a developer and even if I wanted to I can't find the motivation at night to code on some other project (even thou I have a couple going on). I'd rather load up Guild Wars 2 and play that for a while before heading to bed (btw, I'm also guild leader of one of the bigger PvE guilds in GW2 - 400 members).

Anyway back on topic. In the last 2 years or so I've tried to re-ignite the spark and get this game going again, but failed due to lack of time and people. For those who think it's easy to run a project like this. It's not. From the front it might seem easy but there's a lot going on behind the curtains which you never get to witness.

Everyone who ever worked on this project did this for free because they liked the idea and wanted to donate some of their free time.
I'm very grateful to everyone I've worked with and met during this project.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version