* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: Website offline and future of PU  (Read 111448 times)

Offline Baka

• Normal Trainer
  • Troublemaker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant
Re: Website offline and future of PU
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 06:01:26 am »
There are many factors to blame.

First off Mr_Dark, you and Urmel made yourselves the organ of the whole project. Obviously that meant the project would die with you. It also meant everything was dependent on you and that this may have demotivated many of your team members.
- For example. When I tried to push the art-team in a tough direction, discarding applications which I believed would only create a bad image, you blamed me for destroying it.  I was not allowed to exert power, because the project "belonged" to you an Urmel. Furthermore you blamed me for one of the pixel artists deciding to quit, which was totally not true. Criticism is an important factor in any project, and this person was too political about everything.
In the end, I got demotivated and sabotaged my addition to the project as a form of protest. This is normal organizational behaviour. I do admit that I was being unreasonable to a certain degree however.

Second off, if you wanted to make it open source, then you should have released the map-software (day 1) as well as the main map. Should have been completely open day 1. 

Third off, the Pokemon community in general is full of people who want a lot but don't wish to contribute. There were no monetary incentives in this project, and thus it may have been a better idea to change the concept into a new game. Certainly there are Pokemon-like games that have achieved success, and that are far less than what PU thrived to be. The Pokemon community may be against it at first, but would in the end go along with it. Hence the success of the Pokemon-like games. (Eg, Micromon) This could have been your real job. :)

Additionally, while pixel art could have temporarily have been replaced by placeholders, the programming was a different case. This whole rewriting process made sense the first time (due to bugs), but not any more than that. Also, the full game should have been decided before any programming took place, so that you would not have to rewrite code all the time. Stuff like addition of Pokemon from newer games also made things unmanageable. I think the constant changes is what made you think the code was "poop".

Either way, like any short or long-lasting communities, this project created many friendships. That's what I will remember it for. :) I would also like to thank Mr_Dark and Urmel for all the time they put into the project. I hope you learned a lot. I'm sorry if you feel this post is an asshole move however.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 06:17:44 am by Baka »

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2015, 10:56:07 pm »

EDIT: Sh!t Mr_Dark I just realised we never went for that beer. Ik laat je wel weten als ik terug in Nederland bent.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:58:56 pm by Declan_23 »

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 09:12:24 am »
EDIT: Sh!t Mr_Dark I just realised we never went for that beer. Ik laat je wel weten als ik terug in Nederland bent.

Sure man, just send me a mail once you're in the neighbourhood :)
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Hiteryan

• Music Composer
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • Oh gawd awesoem.
    • View Profile
    • Hitey's YouTube
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2015, 11:50:20 pm »
Well I've been kind of expecting this, and it's perfectly natural, it was too big of a project for what it was and for the few people working on it, but I'm very glad I had the opportunity to meet and work with all you wonderful people. I'm very very sorry I haven't been active! But life is busy, and I have to work my own stuff out too. If this truly is the end, maybe I'll rework the songs I've composed for the game so far and release an album or something!
Pokémon Universe Music Composer Guy Dude Person!
Hiteryan on YouTube - Vimeo (I'm a filmmaker too!) - last.fm

Offline Pokemaster MAC

• Normal Trainer
  • Anima Terram
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2015, 12:00:17 pm »
Curious though... did anyone try to abuse the power of Twitch to gain viewers/potential artists? There's a ton of fodder out there, and I know a lot of people who draw idly on Twitch. Sounds wrong, I know know... but better to Last Resort than Struggle, am I right?
Corpsair, Decapitain, Sparcrow, Condurit. Stumpole, Steekee, Totember, Flaracuda... My current list of ideas for Pokemon.

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 10:09:26 pm »
We had a live stream when we had a battle tournament. Hiteryan's music was even in the background for those streams. c:

And honestly... I draw "idly" on twitch. But my viewers count don't really go that ridiculously high. Most "idly" drawers are usually the ones that do have people that follow them on a regular basis. They set up a notice that they plan a stream at some point, and then people go there by default when they notice the artist is streaming. Get a load of viewers, and of course some curious browsing people stumble upon their streams and watch along.

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline GrizzlyEatsKids

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 07:17:45 pm »
It's been so long since I've been on here, primarily due to the fact that I had issues with email verification and logging in and whatnot, but this website has given me many great memories, specifically because of the people I've met over the years. The website was a pivotal part in the development of my writing abilities, and I attribute many of the late night conversations about a multitude of writing-based topics to the skill level that I feel I have achieved today. It'll be sad for me to see the site go, but it'll be nearly impossible to forget what it has done for me.
0 Aiden 0/100
0 Kayla 0/100
0 Zoe 0/100

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 08:55:02 pm »
I'm back, and really sad at the news of the game being put to rest. There were a of issues that hindered its completion, but it was still a fun experience that i will hold in my mind and heart. I met a bunch of good people and even met my best friend here, and discovered that i do have talents. I just needed to learn to be more confident. I learned that here. I will definitely come back to the simulator once I've finished moving and getting things settled. Although, maybe every once in a while roloc could host a PU balance tourney to mix things up. I'm certain the server will go back to the traditional pokemon formula.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2015, 04:43:30 am »
I would hold those definitely. I been wanting to start up the server but I didn't know it's anyone else wanted it back up.
Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 01:34:47 pm »
I'm sure i can drum up support and get people on. Maybe I'll go on reddit and get the word out that way.

Offline GrizzlyEatsKids

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2015, 10:59:27 pm »
I'm not into Pokemon a whole lot anymore, but I would pop up on a server if there was one, should my laptop cooperate.
0 Aiden 0/100
0 Kayla 0/100
0 Zoe 0/100

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2015, 04:57:21 am »
I'll be into pokemon for the rest of my life. Regardless of what anyone says.

Console games, fan made games, competitive battles, MMOs, you name it I'm there.

Miss Wednesday and I actually have begun to collect pokemon figures and plushies. As some of you may know, plushies and figures can be VERY valuable if you know what your looking for. For example, there is a very particular clampearl figure that is only about 2 and a half inches tall and is completely worth 50 plus USD. That's not even the biggest insane part about it. There are pokemon plushies that sell for 400 or more USD. Just have to know what your looking for.

But yeah, pokemon fan for life = me
Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 02:20:31 am »
I too claim that title. Booted up blaze black 2 and played the new ruby and remembered why i loved pokemon so much. Even got my fiance into it a bit necause she likes the art. I'm not all for competative play anymore, but playing the games and getting into the stories is even more of a treat now. Plus i finally hatched a shiny male houndoom. 4 iv's but I'm going to trade it to my other game and take on the story with him.

Offline GrizzlyEatsKids

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 01:41:32 am »
I've more of moved away from handheld gaming in general, but when I have time to play games, I personally gravitate towards my consoles in front of my big TV (it's where my friends play, too, so that's the biggest incentive). As my life changes and I move on, I may eventually find the right situation for handheld gaming, but nonetheless, Pokemon still holds a special place in my heart, as it is one of the biggest reasons I continue to play games so often today. Eventually when I move back into handheld gaming and I get a little more time on my hands, I'm sure I'll return right back to Pokemon.
0 Aiden 0/100
0 Kayla 0/100
0 Zoe 0/100

Offline The-Blades-slave

• Balance Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • I heed the command of the blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 03:30:22 am »
Since it appears we're all just leaving goodbyes and such here, I'll leave you with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rP_V07Cp6I&feature=iv&src_vid=ZJLr_O6lhrY&annotation_id=annotation_325498

Accurately sums up my experience on this site. Also, it's weird to see your signature hasn't changed from that old RP, Fenror. It brings back memories, lol.

Daylin: 35/100