* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread  (Read 117987 times)

Offline Monzta

• CharlesedickNB
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Effectively.
    • View Profile
Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread
« on: March 15, 2016, 01:55:32 pm »
Hey everyone. Pokemon Universe is not being worked on anymore. It has not been worked on for quite a while, now. There have been surges of activity, hype, and production throughout this project, but overall, the ambitious project has come to an end.

Joining this forum as a teen and now making a career off the skills I learnt from this forum has been an amazing progression to reflect on. I thought i'd open this thread as a sort of "obituary"-- the Dutch hosts of this website are being forced to pay for the domain and bandwidth for a closed project.

Now, the definite future of this forum has not been collectively decided upon just yet, so this isn't an announcement of its closing. However, to make it clear-- the game is not in development, and most likely never will be.

Reminisce away, friends. It's been a hell of a journey, and we thank you for being a part of it!

For some fun facts:

• From the start, it was known this project would struggle, and perhaps may never come to fruition, as it was done completely through volunteer work.

• Most of the work got done in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

• The project was pretty much dead by 2013. Although it did see a surge in activity and development by some very talented mappers and artists, its future as a website and "company" started to be reconsidered during this time. With a lack of pixel artists, for two years prior, and developers that could work full time, it was seen as hopeless.

• Although it did die down, the workload, and organisational structure within the production team was very comprehensive and taken seriously. It was very much like a professional company, although without all the formalities.

• There has been no real progress on the game itself for about 2 years at this point.

• This forum spawned four real-life relationships I can count, and two babies!

• Power user Jerry has had the same profile pic for nigh on 7 years!

• Carbon is now a gay trans-genderfluid furry. Who would've thought.
Notable GOAT threads:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:04:02 am by Monzta »

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 05:15:59 pm »
Yup, and my profile pic's not gonna change anytime soon... progress takes time.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 03:20:23 pm »
Good idea making this thread, Monzta. MissWednesday miss hanging out with everyone here. It's where we two met and it will always be a special place for us. If not for PU we wouldn't have met and we wouldn't have created these two lql

I hope everyone is doing good in whatever they may be doing!

Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Baka

• Normal Trainer
  • Troublemaker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 05:05:48 pm »
Well, I am up for helping remake/develop it if people are still willing (Education purposes).

I know Unity may not be as efficient as SDL, but it sure is faster to develop with.

Offline NexosYourGayBestFriend96

• Normal Trainer
  • Reality's Exit . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 01:06:56 am »
     My name has changed quite a lot since I joined this forum, from Lugiafan96 to.... this. And I just wanted to say thank you to everyone, because without this website I wouldn't have the friends I have today or be near as good a writer. It was definitely a blast role-playing and drawing characters, and it's definitely helped contribute a lot to the me of today.
     Right now I'm working on my own project, but I'm juggling that with college so you probably won't hear anything from me for a while until I can really nail down what I'm doing. I hope you all have a good life.
. . .

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 10:11:29 pm »
This website holds such a sense of nostalgia for me.

Love,
An old mapper and gameplay optimizer

Offline Zatir

• PU Developer
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 04:26:24 pm »
Yes, PU is really dead...

In the meantime I've been working on some private hobby stuff. Also started doing some 3D-modeling, painting and animating.

Take a look at a battle arena I'm working on. I might be willing to work on to create an entire game, starting with only battling.

http://sta.sh/01wyx9um3u96

It's a fake pokemon, design by prinny-dood, (see http://prinny-dood.deviantart.com/art/Fake-Pokemon-Sturmjaegr-592719612)
Zatir - PU developer
Current project: Creating the Pokéditor

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 12:06:24 am »
I had a lot of memories here. From a lowly scrub to a guild leader to an admin and writer. This site will always hold a special place in my heart as I try a new ambition and maybe try to get back into writing (seeing as I've been on a 4 year hiatus from it) Perhaps in another timeline, PU is considered the best Pokemon MMO on the planet. I shall build a machine to get to that timeline.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Arctus

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 09:05:08 am »
I do wish I could have done/do to help with the development but I never really have time with all my uni stuff to learn any development skills from scratch, but I did enjoy it here when the forums were active.

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 03:22:58 pm »
Arctus!

Your still alive. The heck you havent sent me any message or anything? Am I gonna have to cut you with a sharpened kangaroo leg bone?

Been a while, dude. Miss Wednesday and I actually saw someone name "Arctis" on the PRO mmo we play and we immediately thought it was you. lql
Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline Flynt

• Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 09:42:12 pm »
When i came here, i knew nothing about Pokemon.I learnt lots of new things here. You guys taught me a lot and helped me "evolve".I registered on this website on January 28, 2011. Each year, i waited eagerly for this game to release, and even though i knew that this game will take a long long time to release, i never lost hope.I wish i could have helped me with the development. Anyways, I'm really enjoyed it here.I met so many amazing people here. This website will always have a special place in my heart because without this website, i wouldn't have met you all. Good luck in all that comes your way in the future. If nothing goes wrong, I'll be starting college in a month or two but i promise I'll stay in touch.

Offline The-Blades-slave

• Balance Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • I heed the command of the blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 11:14:39 pm »
I'm not really remembered by any old members, because I didn't join until around 2012, but this place is the reason I still write. I made an account just to start some shitty RP that I ripped off of that book about Greek demi-gods that was popular back then, and my grammar was atrocious. In retrospect, I should have been crucified for it all.

But I wasn't. Jerry sent me a revised version of the original post for the RP with all the errors corrected, and people actually joined. That RP is about 76 pages long in all, and it's overall pointless and had no sense of direction because I was new, but just the sense of nostalgia I get from thinking about it is enough to make me glad I did it. Two of the people that joined that RP I still talk to on Skype to this day.

I eventually moved on from just the RP section to join a guild, though, Elemental Elites. I didn't know anything about the game on a competitive level, but I wanted to act like I did. It was probably really easy to see through all of my bluffing, but Roloc ignored all of that and still helped me out and taught me to battle.

Some of my best memories from this site were made on PO. Not just battling, either. Roloc can tell you a few of us weirdos used to use it as a place to write before I knew what Skype and Google Documents were. It also gave us gems like this:

I don't even know why I remember it, but I can still remember the day I was hanging out in the main chat and that was said. Weird stuff like that used to happen all the time. It was really fun to just hop on see what shenanigans the server was getting up to that day.

All good things must come to an end, though, and I guess this really is the end of the line for Pokemon Universe. It's been a great time, thanks for teaching me to write and helping me mature from the stupid teenager I used to be.

Hope you all have the best of luck in whatever you go after.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:19:14 pm by The-Blades-slave »

Daylin: 35/100

Offline TrainerX

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 07:05:23 am »
I stumbled upon these as I was organizing my clusterchansey of an image folder which reminded me that this place exists. As long as I'm here I might as well post these before they inevitably get lost on my hard drive again.

I remember being in the irc channel when the first one happened but I can't remember the context of the second image. Pretty sure it's from here though.

Edit: Good old language filter.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:08:14 am by TrainerX »

Offline Wailord

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • The artist of pixels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 01:59:11 am »
I rise from the dead to say that it was a pleasure gentlemen.

I was in a bad place when I first joined. Upon reflection, I'm quite surprised at how much PU helped numb my emotional distress. So thanks for that guys! I'm a Voice Over Artist and Film Director trainee at the moment, and will always accredit the PU community for keeping my creativity and enthusiasm stimulated during a bleak part of my life.

Nostalgia and fond memories!

MAN MEAT <3

Offline Miss Wednesday

• The Pirate Lady
  • Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
  • Roloc's soulmate <3 C:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 09:48:25 pm »
God I miss you all so much xD sucks growing up but I love my new family C:
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein