* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [Quest] Settling Down, Up Springs A Town!  (Read 7136 times)

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
[Quest] Settling Down, Up Springs A Town!
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:42:46 AM »
Ok, So as you know, Spirit is currently running a quest contest, which was my inspiration for this quest, also I drew inspiration from the Dark Cloud 2 townbuilding system.

This quest begins by talking to an old man whos eyes seem to be brimming with ideas.
[The old man is standing between two trees, blocking the path to what seems to lead into a
forest, although you can see nothing past the man and the treeline.] As you speak to him, he
utters the words, "This seems to be my ideal location. Youngster, how would you like to
become a part of history?" He tells you his name [Kanji] Then he starts telling you a story
about how he used to live in Sinnoh. Apparently, One day he was sitting outside enjoying the
day with his Aipom, and a herd of Camerupt which was migrating was walking through the area,
Aipom, being the deviant for which his species is known, chucked a stone at one of the
tranquil passers. This immediately enraged the Camerupt and it began to spew lava from its
back in a fit leading to the man's house being burnt to the ground. Unfortunately, he did
not own a water pokemon, and lived quite a way from the nearest town, therefore his house
was lost.

After losing his home, old man Kanji just wanted to escape it all and retire to a new location.
He recalled hearing rumors of an amazing new land called Miryus where people were starting
to settle, and headed to the newfound region. Upon arriving, he visited every town, but
no matter where he was, it just didn't feel right. Kanji then started to wish he could
just make a town to his liking, then the ideas came fluttering in, and he thought,
"I could become the founder of a new town!"

He was delighted, and thought that finally he could also be remembered for something great
before his age takes him. He then asks you to follow him, and takes you in between the trees
in which he was standing. [now this will have to be done using some teleportation method or
so, because this will be a seperate location for all players, as I will explain later.]
He brings you to an empty green meadow, and then states, "How beautiful would it be to found
a small town here?" He then asks you if you would agree to help him accomplish his one
dream, and promises to make you co-founder.

Right, so that's what I have thus far, and if I receive plausible feedback and confirmation that
what I want to accomplish is plausible, I will continue and finish the quest.

Now, the most exciting part of this quest is not the quest itself, but the features and rewards which follow. I have come up with a few ideas and features which can be scratched, picked, added to, or removed completely. I would like further ideas and some feedback before I finish the quest.

Right, well the idea is, After you finish the quest, this empty town plot is now available to visit,
Each player would have his own town plot, hence the teleportation issue, because I want events
to occur based on events you have completed in the game, such as gaining player levels, and
beating gyms and such.

As mentioned, these would all be empty lots except old man Kanji's house who you helped to build. As you reach pinnacle events in the game, like gaining badges and player levels or other events, people will start to migrate to your town with their own reasons and quests, and upon completing in, they settle in the town. [ I figured this could be done by variable reasoning,
such as having multiple maps, copying and pasting one building at a time, with different events on
each map and if variable x is true, the next map with house x would appear, variable x being
the quests you complete after doing the certain activities.] Now, I think it would have to be seperate for everyone, as  I don't know if you can make it so based on certain events, it looks different for different people. I dunno, I'd have to talk out the technicalities with a scripter.

Now, for the buildings. Of course there is Kanji's home, whom I figured you could battle weekly
to keep his mind spry. A poke center, a pokemart, maybe your own home to prevent clutter, a tradesmen's terrace to perform certain crafting activities, and maybe a bank, travel shop etc. I have also included a berry/apricorn patch, whichever is implemented, to grow a few things for fun. Bear in mind that this is a rough sketch and rough ideas, able to be completely changed and molded based on what can be implemented, and what can not. As said, you would have to get badges, earn player levels, and do various thing to unlock the migrating settlers, and then you would have to complete a quest for each of them to have them settle, until the village is completely done, then old man Kanji will die in peace and a statue will be erected in his honor, with your name on it too of course  ::) Also, after he dies, maybe his grandson will move in or something.

I also have ideas for the shop, the more buildings and advanced you are as a character, the bigger the shop will grow to, and the more items they will carry. I got this idea from animal crossing, where the shop grows  :D Bigger town obviously equals bigger shop.

Also, I had an idea about incorporating a move tutor in here, perhaps it can be Kanji's grandson after he passes, but Instead of the old stale way of getting tutored, I would like to incorporate fishing, as to give players a reason to reach a higher skill level in it, higher fishing yields better items through fishing which in turn will yield better moves to tutor. That's just a small idea though

Also, I Would like to incorporate a small way of fast travel into this town, Like a helicopter which you can use to fly to one location once per day, But I do not know how plausible that is.

Well, those are most of my ideas, So please dote upon them, incorporate your own, or just tell me what you think.  ;D

Edit: If you think anything needs to be clarified, or can't understand something, I will try to explain in more detail to the best of my ability.  ::)

Edit 2: If you don't like the instanced town idea individual to each player, when you finish the quest, the entire town will be finished, but you will only be able to enter buildings once certain criteria have been reached, and then you will still have to do a quest to access the services of whomever's house/business it was. That way, all players will be visible in the same town, and would be able to enter all the houses together if they meet the criteria.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:22:20 AM by stephenkill2 »

Offline Interested Listener

• Beginning Trainer
  • "The purpose of life is a life of purpose."
    • View Profile
Re: [Quest] Settling Down, Up Springs A Town!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:16:23 AM »
Bravo, Bravo, Bravo ! I really like it this is very plausible, hopefully this will be implemented into the game and yes its similar to Animal Crossing, nice idea to bring that into this game, I vote yes.
The Interested Listener

Kuixta

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:34:54 AM »
You have done a good job stephen.  :) Two thumbs up!

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:37:53 AM »
You know we should vote for what quests we think are the best. Like a poll at least, just to see. I think it would show overall what we would like to see in the game, this is one I would like to see in the game.
The Interested Listener

Offline Evil Croat

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:33:52 AM »
I really like this, if I can add a few sugestions.

Don't start with an empty meadow, Have trees and rocks about, and  you will need the correct pokemon to clear the area and dig the garden. (another pokemon)
You might also require a source of water for the garden, you will need a water pokemon to make a well or lake for fresh water.
You must supply certain seeds for the garden.

Once the foundations have been laid people will then move into the town.
I guess the town will not be accessable after the quest, as storage on the server would be an issue when 10's of thouands will be created.

So if there is an issue with this quest being unmanageble or a storage problem the town can be removed from the server automatically when the quest is done.

Best of luck to have this implemented on the game.
I think its an awesome idea

Kuixta

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 04:51:14 PM »
I guess a way that it can be implemented if only like the top three players could access this quest, then there won't be thousands of towns being created. This quest could have a special reward and i think it will encourage the players to train harder. It can  be open maybe like after a tournament or something.

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 07:01:46 PM »
In the nicest possible way, I really don't think this is plausible, it would be a great amount of hassle to the programmers. Also the idea of an MMORPG is that you play along with other people, this kind of goes against that aspect. But 10/10 for trying...

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:20:25 PM »
Right, Thanks for all the feedback guys!  ;D

I guess a way that it can be implemented if only like the top three players could access this quest, then there won't be thousands of towns being created. This quest could have a special reward and i think it will encourage the players to train harder. It can  be open maybe like after a tournament or something.

Yes, I have figured out how to make it only one town, After you finish the first quest, the entire town
is finished, but you won't be able to enter all the buildings until you meet certain conditions. ex- having badges or player level etc.  ;)

In the nicest possible way, I really don't think this is plausible, it would be a great amount of hassle to the programmers. Also the idea of an MMORPG is that you play along with other people, this kind of goes against that aspect. But 10/10 for trying...

Thanks, Please see the above quote as I also thought about this, and have come up with multiple ideas to make the town accessible by everyone  :)

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 07:26:52 AM »
You know we should vote for what quests we think are the best. Like a poll at least, just to see. I think it would show overall what we would like to see in the game, this is one I would like to see in the game.

As much as I encourage forum members to submit their own idea's and suggestion's (and believe me, myself, and the rest of the team, do listen), not everything can/will be incorporated just because a few people like the idea; for instance, this particular quest is way too complicated, and as stated, is designed more for a single player game, rather than a multiplayer one.

Edit 2: If you don't like the instanced town idea individual to each player, when you finish the quest, the entire town will be finished, but you will only be able to enter buildings once certain criteria have been reached, and then you will still have to do a quest to access the services of whomever's house/business it was. That way, all players will be visible in the same town, and would be able to enter all the houses together if they meet the criteria.

This makes the quest about a thousand times more possible. It's too bad you can't each have your individual town, but there are several reasons (complexity, and logic when looking at this from a world perspective, not a solo one). Also, the meadow event should not exist at all, this too just makes things needlessly complicated.

If (and I say IF for a reason) this style of quest were to be implemented, it would make much more sense for the town to already exist in its entirety, and already be fully established, as well as accessible to ALL trainers. The quest itself, would then become more along the lines of (again, thinking Animal Crossing...I like that game), donating funds, and services to help the town prosper. The rewards would be something like, item's to show you the town's appreciation, access to special events (tournaments, etc.), or discounts, acceptance from the gym leader to welcome you into the gym, etc.

The donations you could make would have to be on a constant, that way, you could keep coming back to helping the town, and your total would be calculated accordingly, with greater and greater rewards all the time.

Donations would not have to be limited to money either. You could offer to assist in the construction of the town, and be granted permission to enter a side street that takes you to an undeveloped district where construction is always going on. Naturally, the game would not actually show progress in this way, but at least you could go and see fellow trainers that have offered their services to the town, as well as find construction worker NPC's who might want to battle you, or send you on a branching quest.

There are a ton of idea's that you could use in this fashion, but when you get right down to it, they are all the same, just with a different name, and a different back drop.

So, to sum up, I don't know if it will be implemented, and I am not saying I like, or dislike this idea, but it is technically feasible, if you know how to tweak it as such.

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 01:07:57 AM »
Yeah I would agree with it being a little too complicated, but it seems well thought out. Hopefully we can simplify the quest even more so it can be brought into the game.
The Interested Listener

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:09:11 AM »
hrmm, well thanks for all the feedback, and for the love of god interested listener, stop just agreeing and post some useful feedback, not just on this, on anything, or so help me... >:(
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:11:21 AM by stephenkill2 »

Offline duotent

• Beginning Trainer
  • its my job to annoy and joke around on IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 06:45:47 AM »
this is like the bases and rooms that they have discused  maybe theese could be inlanted instead of thoose
(POKEMON CHAOS) Eevee:tackle, quick attack, dig, shadow ball
(A RANDOM POKEMON RP)ponyta:growl
(NEW Generation)gyarados:splash tackle
allmy roleplay charcters and there attacks plus the rp thir for

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 07:12:04 AM »
this is like the bases and rooms that they have discused  maybe theese could be inlanted instead of thoose

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Please link me to the topics and include a thorough explanation of your generalization.

Offline duotent

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile

Offline duotent

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 07:24:29 AM »
http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php/topic,51.0.html

here's the link and ive made few comments in there myself so HERE