* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Mapper job request.  (Read 5485 times)

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
Mapper job request.
« on: March 14, 2010, 12:03:39 PM »
I believe I sent an email at one point to which I never received a response. Right, Essentially I believe I have what it takes to be a mapper for PU , I am dedicated, on here almost 24/7 , active in the IRC chat, and also I am not bad at making maps. I am 19 and located in the United States.
I am assuming that my email was never responded to mostly because I did not submit a sample of work, hence I shall do that here.

Swampy deal

Tropical pass

Summer Mansion

Overgrown Route (Sorry, there isn't much for bridges in this tileset.)

Mining area

So, Yeah, I would love to give it a shot  ;D

Also, I can submit more samples upon request, and I have been practicing my pixel art in tutorials to try and get a tad better so I can do some tile work myself.

Thanks for reading,

Stephenkill2
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:08:45 PM by stephenkill2 »

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
Re: Mapper job request.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 12:37:43 PM »
A slight flaw to me is the little areas of grass and wildlife around the town that haven't been paved - such as between the town and the bridge.
You need a more natural transition from the field to the town.

Similarly, I don't really like the look of the field areas - while it does not seem man made (there is randomness, which is good), the entire thing does not look good (which symmetry affords), and thus, doesn't really look natural either (remember, even natural dispersion is based on a mathematical pattern).
Read up on how to make natural-looking maps, there needs to be a balance between randomness and non-randomness, symmetry, and non-symmetry, etc. that makes the map look natural and good, but not manmade.

Anyway, good work - I'm picking you apart cause I know you will improve. :)
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 12:42:56 PM »
A slight flaw to me is the little areas of grass and wildlife around the town that haven't been paved - such as between the town and the bridge.
You need a more natural transition from the field to the town.

Yes, I was thinking that too, but I didn't like the options the tile set had to offer, therefore I tried to make it more natural due to the fact that this is an adventure MMO and just paved things everywhere really offsets the feeling I was trying to go for, but I completely understand what you mean.I do agree the transition needs improvement.

Similarly, I don't really like the look of the field areas - while it does not seem man made (there is randomness, which is good), the entire thing does not look good (which symmetry affords), and thus, doesn't really look natural either (remember, even natural dispersion is based on a mathematical pattern).
Read up on how to make natural-looking maps, there needs to be a balance between randomness and non-randomness, symmetry, and non-symmetry, etc. that makes the map look natural and good, but not manmade.

I shall look into it and try to improve my balance thanks   ;D

Anyway, good work - I'm picking you apart cause I know you will improve. :)

Thanks Pidgey , I really appreciate the tips you've provided, and thus I will try to improve based upon them in the next one  ;)

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »
While I'm not experienced at all in mapping, I find the two or three storey building in the first one a little strange. Does it have 2 doors?
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 02:31:35 PM »
While I'm not experienced at all in mapping, I find the two or three storey building in the first one a little strange. Does it have 2 doors?

It has one. The building looks fine when actually close to it, this map is so big I actually had to zoom out to 1/2 size to fit it all in a full screen shot.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:38:47 PM by stephenkill2 »

Offline baralai15

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 12:52:01 AM »
Looks pretty good, probably better than i could do but yes it can still be improved by the small things and no major improvements. Good work and keep it up!

Offline Minsi

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:59:48 AM »
The images would be of better and clearer quality if they were saved and uploaded in .PNG instead of .JPG... But besides that, I see no outstanding flaws in them. They seem organized and well thought out, but I'm pretty sure the Pokemon Center used on PU is different than the ones used in Nintendo games. That's the only difference I can point out from your maps and the map examples on the Screen shots page :] Good work.

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 01:01:47 AM »
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback   ;D

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 06:40:36 AM »
Note: I put a few new quick maps in here to look at, I dunno if it tells you when I modify, but take a look  ;D

Offline Hiteryan

• Music Composer
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • Oh gawd awesoem.
    • View Profile
    • Hitey's YouTube
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 01:21:17 PM »
Apart from a couple of minor flaws pointed by other members I do like your maps. They don't go very regular as most of the appliers make them. Good job ^.^
Pokémon Universe Music Composer Guy Dude Person!
Hiteryan on YouTube - Vimeo (I'm a filmmaker too!) - last.fm

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 01:38:47 PM »
Apart from a couple of minor flaws pointed by other members I do like your maps. They don't go very regular as most of the appliers make them. Good job ^.^

Thanks  ;D