* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Degree of open-worldness  (Read 14324 times)

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
Re: Degree of open-worldness
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
Human tend to scared of all the animal or we capture the strongest one as trophy whatever the case is. It make sense to have only lower level pokemon surround human cities. Occasionally a high level Pokemon would be nice.
Can be done already.

The further you get from the large city the stronger the pokemon will get. We could provide small village or out post in a rest point for the player but not a large city with all modern tech. Having said that the map might have to be change drastically to fit the need of space for the higher pokemon. So i dont know if this is something the PU team would want implemented only because the date of close beta is around the corner.
Our map is going to be HUGE (when it's completely done). As for the pre-beta, we don't really think this far. We'll just add some wild Pokemon with average levels.
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline kniveslove

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 12:10:41 AM »
Very nice!!!

Another question. Since we have an open world and only low Pokemon gonna be around. Then can Trainer start at any city and not just Pallet town? This will give diversity to the game and the trainer.
And PvP wont be any fun if all we have are Radicate , Pidgey, Metapod, Starter and a few more at early stage of the game.
The more I learn the more I know.The more I know the more I forget.The more I forget the less I know...So why bother?

PS: I do know it all it just that I can't remember all at once.

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 12:49:16 AM »
Very nice!!!

Another question. Since we have an open world and only low Pokemon gonna be around. Then can Trainer start at any city and not just Pallet town? This will give diversity to the game and the trainer.
And PvP wont be any fun if all we have are Radicate , Pidgey, Metapod, Starter and a few more at early stage of the game.

Regarding pvp, that is the point, you are supposed to train for pvp to make it fun and create your own routine and options, so train. Who worrys about early game pvp 0_o

Offline Dracoules

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 01:23:13 AM »

I also think there should be some kind of warning [...] when the pokemon are more than 15 levels above, "You feel a strong urge to turn back...". For 20 levels+, "You feel a sense of immediate danger, as if something terrible might happen at any moment...".

It should probably say "There's a strong urge to turn back," "There's a sense of danger"
Instead of "you."
Yeah, I know right?

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 02:27:46 AM »

I also think there should be some kind of warning [...] when the pokemon are more than 15 levels above, "You feel a strong urge to turn back...". For 20 levels+, "You feel a sense of immediate danger, as if something terrible might happen at any moment...".

It should probably say "There's a strong urge to turn back," "There's a sense of danger"
Instead of "you."

I respectfully disagree.
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline wiggums

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 10:52:59 PM »
I think more difficult areas should be unlocked after you beat the gym. For instance, you are in a city area that you can only escape by using the ability you unlock when you beat the gym. Your only exit could be a small tree, and the gym leader in your town would leave you the ability to use cut. This would assure that the player has beaten the gym and is ready for the next highest difficulty.

Offline josh_squash0

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 11:18:10 PM »
I think trainers should have an open game to work with. The only deterrents, to exploring areas, being one's own fear, superior pokemon, npcs, and trainers.

I dont like the idea of unlocking too many things. Maybe clothing, items, and quests but I thought that the point of making this MMORPG was to enhance the experience. If we're all bound to similar laws as the handhelds then its kind of defeating the purpose.

Of course, having such "high lvl" areas open, this could lead to some abuse later on. After everything is settled "hack" wise, I think that a completely open world (along with the warning text bought up in the opening post) would be ideal.
The fog appears, only when an idea is trying to reach me.

Offline wiggums

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 11:21:18 PM »
Then what would be gained from defeating Gyms? Would they no longer have any value? Before, gyms would allow you to access more areas. I think it'd be a good idea, as one would advance in the game and slowly be exposed to more and more of the world, until when they complete the "Main Questline" they now have the whole world that they are familiar with to do what they please.

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 11:48:13 PM »
You would still need badges to train high level Pokemon.
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline josh_squash0

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 11:48:26 PM »
Then what would be gained from defeating Gyms? Would they no longer have any value? Before, gyms would allow you to access more areas.

There is a thread in the forums some where that asks each player what their goals are in the game. Look through it and you wont see many that has a goal of getting all of the badges, unlocking areas, etc.

Some may want to enter contests. Some may want to catch specific types (i.e. steel, dragon, ghost) of pokemon, that can only be found in the "potentially locked areas", or be an extreme fisherman. limiting too too much (especially in an MMO) doesnt sound like a good idea.

Of course, there should be limits to open worldness but because its an MMO, the basic push box/ flip switch quests and beat gym leader to unlock area doesnt sound like too much fun.

Everyone has goals in Pokemon Universe and limiting everyone to the same restrictions as the handheld would be, like I said before, defeating the purpose.

Dont get me wrong. I would like to see limitations to open worldness but it would be up to the PU team to be creative in making sure the game isnt too linear.

Offline wiggums

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 11:52:28 PM »
Then what would be gained from defeating Gyms? Would they no longer have any value? Before, gyms would allow you to access more areas.

There is a thread in the forums some where that asks each player what their goals are in the game. Look through it and you wont see many that has a goal of getting all of the badges, unlocking areas, etc.

Some may want to enter contests. Some may want to catch specific types (i.e. steel, dragon, ghost) of pokemon, that can only be found in the "potentially locked areas", or be an extreme fisherman. limiting too too much (especially in an MMO) doesnt sound like a good idea.

Of course, there should be limits to open worldness but because its an MMO, the basic push box/ flip switch quests and beat gym leader to unlock area doesnt sound like too much fun.

Everyone has goals in Pokemon Universe and limiting everyone to the same restrictions as the handheld would be, like I said before, defeating the purpose.

Dont get me wrong. I would like to see limitations to open worldness but it would be up to the PU team to be creative in making sure the game isnt too linear.

Alright you win, but I have one more point.

I'm pretty sure everyone has beaten all the gyms before they started collecting pokemon or growing berries.

Just saying.

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 11:54:29 PM »

Pokemon in MMO form is essentially, a sandbox MMO, train what you want , fight whatever, do which quests you want, get badges, it is quite important to get badges if you would like to advance though, so I am quite sure it is relatively correct to assume that most players will attempt to collect badges, and still enjoy the open world.

Offline josh_squash0

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 12:07:33 AM »

Pokemon in MMO form is essentially, a sandbox MMO, train what you want , fight whatever, do which quests you want, get badges, it is quite important to get badges if you would like to advance though, so I am quite sure it is relatively correct to assume that most players will attempt to collect badges, and still enjoy the open world.

Yea, i get that. All Im saying is that I hope that the PU team isnt influenced by the handheld's linear BS. I understand that a player will need to get badges and do certain things before being able to train poke's and etc. I just dont like the idea of lumping everyone in a pot, forcing everyone to do the exact same thing, especially in an MMO.

The potential open world exploration is the only reason Im still here.

I'm pretty sure everyone has beaten all the gyms before they started collecting pokemon or growing berries.

Just saying.

The handhelds kind of force you to complete the story before really collecting or growing anything. So you're not really breaking much news there.

Im alright with not being able to access an area because Im too lazy to do a quest. But me not doing that one quest shouldnt stop me from exploring the rest of the game. I shouldnt be trapped in a city or punished for my procrastination.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:09:24 AM by josh_squash0 »

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 12:23:33 AM »

Yea, i get that. All Im saying is that I hope that the PU team isnt influenced by the handheld's linear BS. I understand that a player will need to get badges and do certain things before being able to train poke's and etc. I just dont like the idea of lumping everyone in a pot, forcing everyone to do the exact same thing, especially in an MMO.

The potential open world exploration is the only reason Im still here.

Just saying.

The handhelds kind of force you to complete the story before really collecting or growing anything. So you're not really breaking much news there.

Im alright with not being able to access an area because Im too lazy to do a quest. But me not doing that one quest shouldnt stop me from exploring the rest of the game. I shouldnt be trapped in a city or punished for my procrastination.

You will not be trapped in a city, use the search, you will be able to access most areas, and die if you wish, but there might be a warning system if the pokemon are like twenty levels higher than you telling you, omg, wtf, strong pokemanz , turn back! But you could still go through if you have a deathwish.