Official Forums > Site Support

IRC Help Topic

(1/7) > >>

jflorence05:
I had not seen this topic explained in a lot of detail, however I have seen plenty of questions on how to use IRC in general in a few different sections and thought I would post a guide as to how this software is used. Feel free to close the topic if I am remaking a duplicate subject, otherwise I hope this information can be useful to someone.

WHAT IS IRC?

* IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, which is a fancy name for a chat server which hosts thousands of users and rooms (channels), much like AOL chatrooms, instant messenger clients, etc.
WHY USE IT?

* IRC is excellent for combining a large user base and a large amount of content (PU's many forum threads and sections). It is a great tool to trade information, data, or just shoot the breeze.
WHY NOT JUST USE THE FORUM?

* The forum is indeed the primary and best place for content and information, however adding a real-time element and the ability to talk to a broader group of people at once can be as equally beneficial, if not more in certain cases.
HOW DO I USE IT?

* IRC is extremely easy to use. Simply download an IRC client such as Pirch or mIRC or one of many others, select a pre-existing server or manually add a new one, make up a nickname, and connect. Once connected, you are free to join any and all channels you like.
OK, WHAT ABOUT THE SPECIFICS FOR PU?

* To connect to reach Pokemon-Universe on IRC, first, download your preferred IRC client, and be sure to create/add the following:
* server: irc.rizon.net
* port: 6667
* Be sure to create your Nick (username) in your IRC client prior to connecting. Once connected, register that nickname by typing the following command:
* /NS REGISTER PASSWORD EMAIL (be sure to replace PASSWORD with the password you wish to use, and EMAIL with your email address. Don't worry, you won't receive spam.
ALSO: BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL, A CONFIRMATION CODE WAS SENT TO VERIFY YOUR ADDRESS. ONCE YOU RECEIVE THIS , GO BACK INTO IRC AND TYPE: /NS ENTERCODE VERIFCATIONCODEHERE

* Once you have created your password, be sure to remember it. Each time you connect to the server you will have to identify yourself by typing the following command:
* /NS IDENTIFY PASSWORD
* After you have finished the previous steps, all that is left to do is JOIN! to do that, type the following command:
* /JOIN #POKEMON-UNIVERSE
* Congratulations, you're done!
mIRC download link: http://www.mirc.com/
Pirch32 download link: http://dapatchy.com/downloads/
(Note: Pirch is an outdated client and no longer has updates, you will need to manually add everything.)

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to post, I have been using IRC as well as owned, operated, and built IRC servers for over 10 years.

Jerry:
Ok, for today, I've been having a persisting issue. It says that I couldn't connect to the server. Can it be because there are too many people on the IRC worldwide? :-\

jflorence05:

--- Quote from: Jerry on March 24, 2010, 04:02:24 PM ---Ok, for today, I've been having a persisting issue. It says that I couldn't connect to the server. Can it be because there are too many people on the IRC worldwide? :-\

--- End quote ---

Copy and paste the error and I'll help ya out. The IRC network can handle thousands upon thousands of users so there should be no issue there.

Mr_Dark:
Note that it's not mandatory to register your nickname. However this can be helpful when you plan on joining us on a regularly basis since no-one can steal your nickname.

Jerry:
Ok, I just tried again...

--- Quote ---[19:42] qwebirc v0.85
[19:42] Copyright (C) 2008-2009 Chris Porter and the qwebirc project.
[19:42] http://www.qwebirc.org
[19:42] Licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 2.
[19:42] == *** (qwebirc) Looking up your hostname...
[19:42] == *** (qwebirc) Couldn't look up your hostname!
[19:42] == Disconnected from server: Connection to IRC server failed.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version