* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Pokédex - Features  (Read 9000 times)

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Pokédex - Features
« on: April 05, 2010, 01:09:51 PM »
Hello world!.... *medium size wall of text hits you, its not very effective*

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could use your pokedex the same way Ash does in the anime series?
You come across a Pokemon, and your not exactly sure what it is, so you use your Dex to scan it.
Getting some basic info, like type and personality, etc.
I didn't find anything similar posted, so I hope this hasn't been discussed :).
So thoughts on this?

that's a pretty cool idea but you would have to do that every time you see a new pokemon to fill up the pokedex

No the data is collected as usual. Once you encounter or Catch a pokemon, data will be stored. But if you for some reason need to actually SEE that data right there and then, you could use your pokedex.
Do you understand what I´m getting at?

About the move set info, No.
In that case only VS wild Pokémon or it would give the "scouting" Player to much information on how to effectively  counter.

(to clarify, this would become available during battle)
You might argue that seeing the  type also gives away to much.
But consider this; You are a total newb at Pokémon, maybe you just played the first games?
Maybe finished the game once or twice.
Its almost impossible for any player thats not a hardcore fan to learn all types, of all pokemon.
(If you only played the 4th gen games, its possible you haven't seen them all yet)
Knowing types in Pokemon is essential to you being successful in battle, this information should be available to everyone.

Without this, players would also sometimes during battle have to go to a "pokedex site", if they are unsure about opponents pokemon type. This would lessen the battling pace considerably.
Or are we looking to have the exact same pace we sometimes see on wifi?
I  thought this was an MMO with fast-paced strategic action...

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:31:24 PM by Gammal »

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokédex - Features
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:15:31 PM »
Im not sure to what you're proposing.  ???

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could use your pokedex the same way Ash  does in the anime series?
You come across a Pokemon, and your not  exactly sure what it is, so you use your Dex to scan it.
Getting some  basic info, like type and personality, etc.

Doesnt the pokedex already do this?? I havent played any of the newer handhelds and I cant find anything online that says that the data changes from series to series.

Basic info like type, personality, height, weight, species is pretty standard isnt it?
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »
Im not sure to what you're proposing.  ???

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could use your pokedex the same way Ash  does in the anime series?
You come across a Pokemon, and your not  exactly sure what it is, so you use your Dex to scan it.
Getting some  basic info, like type and personality, etc.

Doesnt the pokedex already do this?? I havent played any of the newer handhelds and I cant find anything online that says that the data changes from series to series.

Basic info like type, personality, height, weight, species is pretty standard isnt it?

Yes but... Not as a "scan feature" during PVP battles, or just battle in general.
You face a Pokemon you don´t know what it is, so you press the "Pokédex scan" button.
Maybe some small effect of the Pokemon being scanned or something, I don´t know.
You get to see the pokes, its name, type, personality etc.
This would make the Pokédex feel a lot more interactive and fun, hell I might even scan a Pokemon the first time I see it in game, even if I know what it is, for that RP feel :).

While you can access this information outside battle very easy, the ability to do so mid battle is non-existent.
Read my first post again, I hope you understand what I´m getting at.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:30:35 PM by Gammal »

Offline Regelios

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »
Wouldn't this slow down the pace of the battle?

Maybe you could do it audibly and kind of multitask it ?

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
Wouldn't this slow down the pace of the battle?

Maybe you could do it audibly and kind of multitask it ?

It wont slow down the battle, since people that dont have to use it wont, and those that have to use it, will use it instead of "pokedex sites" which would require you to change from your playing window to another etc.
And that is way slower than the Dex application I´m suggesting

Offline roemermw

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »
Sounds like a great idea to me, so it would be another option in the fight / run/ bag menu?

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 07:25:55 PM »
I dont think scanning a pokemon should really count as a turn...
That would just make it useless, but more of a way to get some basic strategic information you need to battle.

Offline Sephiroth

• Beginning Trainer
  • Take that Nibelheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »
I think this is a good idea. I haven't played in a while, and I definitely don't know the types of all the newer pokemon and it would be a huge disadvantage to me. And don't say I'm not a fan! I found this site, didn't i?
Come here, its a little... safer

Offline mightygamer2

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:18:59 AM »
well in the new anime, the trainers are allowed to scan the attacks that the pokemon can do before they battle the pokemon. like not what they can do in the future, but what they can do at the time. i'd like this feature in the game so i can actually see which pokemon are the strongest...

Offline sym

• Beginning Trainer
  • run for my life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 03:22:10 AM »
well in the new anime, the trainers are allowed to scan the attacks that the pokemon can do before they battle the pokemon. like not what they can do in the future, but what they can do at the time. i'd like this feature in the game so i can actually see which pokemon are the strongest...

but then you would be able to change pokemon to suit the other pokemons attacks to get the advantage you can tell which pokemon is the strongest by whoever wins, it needs to have a little mystery or it will take the fun away.

i like the idea of being able to scan a pokemon but only to see its type, gender, personality and level ect...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:24:07 AM by sym »
dolphins eat little children!

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 04:04:28 AM »

"About the move set info, No.
In that case only VS wild Pokémon or it would give the "scouting" Player to much information on how to effectively  counter.
"

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 04:16:10 AM »
I get what you're saying now. Other than the "slowing the pace of the battle" argument, i think that this would be a cool feature.

One way to avoid slowing the battle is to have the pokedex prompt the player to "scan" before continuing/ending the battle.
That solves the issue of time.
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 05:22:56 AM »
Well, there is also the fact in the anime, the trainers sometimes don't know the moves their pokemon know. They only those that they have seen the pokemon using. In the episodes I saw, Paul scanned his Starlys only after he caught them.

But since you can see what moves a pokemon has under the summary feature, I don't think the scan is necessary.

However, about the types, then I think that would do good.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline zankokuryu

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 07:34:09 AM »
I think it's a pretty sound idea in it's basic form. Perhaps just a pop-up on your screen that automatically appears when encountering a new pokemon in the wild.

Offline PokeRikku

• Beginning Trainer
  • Gingers Do Have Souls!!! xD
    • View Profile
    • GamersIgloo.com
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
I really like the idea, and I think it would be better optional. Maybe it could be an option in the Key Items section of the bag? I really like the idea but it may take forever to make it for the pixel and vector team and what not. Hope this idea comes to use! :)
It Isn't Just A Game....It's An Addiction.