* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Pokemon: Serving as a function other than battling?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline KshaudM

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Pokemon: Serving as a function other than battling?
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:32:23 PM »
Pokemon should serve a function beyond simply battling. One of the major things illustrated in the show is that various pokemon can be used to solve various problems. Simple examples would be the use of Rock Smash to clear a path or surf to travel over water.
Also, since the pokemon world is very clearly huge a great Pokemon should also offer an alternative means of travel, assuming they are the right size. So instead of wasting money on the bike maybe you have a Rapidash and you ride that, or a charizard to fly you around. Of course to balance this against actually buying the bike, maybe a pokemon has a riding stamina so after awhile they need to be put back in their ball.
Another point to look at, that pertains to combat would be controlling the pokemon. I think that once a pokemon is brought out the player character assumes control of the pokemon, while their avatar follows. A pokemon should have two modes, combat and exploration. The combat mode limits the pokemons walking distance (sort of an invisible wall that keeps them close to their trainner) at this point the trainner stops moving allowing players to focus more on the battle and less on wondering into angry, wild pokemon. A side from a change in mobility combat and exploration mode could have a difference in use of a pokemons abilities. So while in combat mode rock throw plays out an animation of your pokemon picking up a rock that is not persistant to the world ( you don't need real rocks to be around to use the attack) the ground and throwing it, in exploration mode the pokemon picks up movable rocks in the world and places them where ever the player so chooses. This allows for problem solving on another level within the world itself and allows for some fairly creative puzzles.
Oh yeah, combat should require real player accuracy rather then relying on a stat. This allows for strategy as well as use of terrain in battle.

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon: Serving as a function other than battling?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:26:31 AM »
1. There is already a transportation topic that talked about various methods of moving around. Using Pokemon was pretty much shot down on the basis of the work it would involve just to get that to work.

2. Explain your idea more. Honestly, it sounds just like a "I want to control my Pokemon" sort of thing. There seems to be no actual reason for it at all.

3. There will be many, many puzzles in the game. You can count on that; it won't require reworking how the system works already, either.

4. No. There is no way to predict how that change would affect gameplay, meaning that optimization would be even harder.  Plus, inputing a human factor into accuracy would put off a lot of casual Pokemon players, as it becomes a contest of who has the better reflexes instead of the tactical thinking needed to win before.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:04:37 PM by Raikt »
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon: Serving as a function other than battling?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:44:13 PM »
I don't understand why you would want pokemon to move stones on the ground to solve a puzzle... And having special abilities so that only certain pokemon can clear up a path is out of question.

Yes, you need to elaborate more on that exploration mode, I don't see the usefulness of it...
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...