* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Pokemon Locator  (Read 9972 times)

Offline Marquise291

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
Pokemon Locator
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:35:54 PM »
You could have something that tells you the location of a pokemon, but some pokemon locations cant be revealed until you have encountered them or obtained a certain number of badges

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Locator
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:40:09 PM »
Hang on a second, are you talking about the pokedex maybe?
After you've seen a pokemon, you can see its cry, size and area (where it lives)
so I'm guessing it would be in the game. If not I think it's a great idea :D

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:43:39 AM »
True the Poke'dex  displays locations and all of the other things Declan_23 said, but I think that some information should be unlockable. That would ad to the "realism" in the game.

The last Pokemon game ive ever played was silver. That came out when i was in the 6th grade so there's alot about the pokedex feature im unfamiliar with.

Possibly having certain features of the pokedex unlocked after reaching an achievement, reaching an unexplored area, after beating a certain number of players, after catching certain types of pokemon, after finishing a hunting task (that was refered to earlier by Kuhn i believe) would add another layer of depth to the game

IMO, I beleive that if pokedex information (especially location) was easily attained ,especially in the unexplored region of Miryus, The game would be filled with noobs battling with Charizards and Dragonites (Yea I went old school. So what?)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:49:55 AM by ghostman50 »
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:15:11 PM »
Yeah, maybe a comprimise is you could see places on the map , where you've actually encountered the pokemon. Otherwise you might as write down the locations. Also I dont think that you should be able to see where pokemon live that you havent seen yet. (although I guess nothing stops you from asking other people)

Offline NaviGator

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 03:33:43 AM »
Maybe trying a progressive scale of things may work like
Battle 1 time = Learn name
Battle 5 times = Learn cry
Battle 10 times = Learn areas to catch
Battle 25 times = Learn name of next Evolution
Battle 50 times = Learn level it Evolves at
Battle 100 times = Learn what level it learns moves at.
Granted some of this could be filled in by catching learning moves or evolving, so if you run into a couple of people with Cubones and you want one soon you will find out where to go. Maybe it could spark some sort of reward system also since the professor always seems to want you to fill it.
It's time, you know the time, the time for the thing.

Offline The Fireball Kid

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:55:27 AM »
Granted some of this could be filled in by catching learning moves or evolving, so if you run into a couple of people with Cubones and you want one soon you will find out where to go. Maybe it could spark some sort of reward system also since the professor always seems to want you to fill it.

I was thinkin along that line too. But 50 or 100 times is way too many. I think you can just combine the next evolution and what level it evolves at. So it could be 5/10/15/20/25. I think thats a good amount of battles.

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 04:05:07 AM »
*Headdesk*

It's called a Pokedex. It's been in every Pokemon game since Red/Blue. Why should any of the features be changed for an online version?

I highly doubt noobs are going to be able to look up the locations of Charazard or any other high level Pokemon to catch them with their weak leveled Pokemon.

Offline NaviGator

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 04:20:39 AM »
Posted by: Kuhns 
Insert Quote
*Headdesk*

It's called a Pokedex. It's been in every Pokemon game since Red/Blue. Why should any of the features be changed for an online version?

I highly doubt noobs are going to be able to look up the locations of Charazard or any other high level Pokemon to catch them with their weak leveled Pokemon.

I didn't mean for it all to be about locating where to catch a Charizard but I like the idea of being able to learn and reference certain things about Pokemon I'm not too familiar with. Plus it could idealistically help with spamming from noobs of when does my vulpix evole into ninetales when everyone knows you gotta use a stone.

Offline Kuhns

• Pixel Artist/ Part-Time Lurker
  • Normal Trainer
  • I'm (almost) back! And Sexier than ever! >:D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 04:29:03 AM »
I didn't mean for it all to be about locating where to catch a Charizard but I like the idea of being able to learn and reference certain things about Pokemon I'm not too familiar with. Plus it could idealistically help with spamming from noobs of when does my vulpix evole into ninetales when everyone knows you gotta use a stone.

I understand that. But the idea of using the Pokedex as a 'know-all' Pokemon expert is kinda lazy. Spamming noobs is a part of any MMO, it's unavoidable. There's no fun in a game where everything is laid out for the player on a nice sliver platter is all I'm trying to say.

Besides, one should be ashamed to call themsleves a Pokemon fan if they don't even know which Pokemon evolve from the stones and which don't.

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 04:38:39 AM »

I was thinkin along that line too. But 50 or 100 times is way too many. I think you can just combine the next evolution and what level it evolves at. So it could be 5/10/15/20/25. I think thats a good amount of battles.

25 battles for each pokemon to learn a little bit of info ? That's wayyy too much since there's 300+ pokemon. I'd keep it simple 5 being the most battles to learn everything about it. or just catching it since i doubt you're gonna battle 5 celabies. But then again i dunno.

Offline NaviGator

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 04:56:31 AM »
Now I realize those numbers look high but I was hoping this game could go much farther than the ones in the past which I spent maybe 25 hours on and mastered I was hoping that with more and more things to do like your pokedex with all this stuff which is helpful and maybe the numbers could be specific to pokemon depending on rarity or something  and obviously info could be achieved other ways like (name, cry, areas to catch) Catch that pokemon, (name of evolution, level evolves) Evolve it, (level it learns moves) at every level a moved is learned that move is revealed.
This was something that wasn't only for battling wild but also npc's and other people too. Plus I know that back in red/blue I battled over 1000 pidgeys easy. I mean grinding may be time consuming but can be benifitual and this could be another "benefit"

Offline The Fireball Kid

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 05:52:47 AM »

25 battles for each pokemon to learn a little bit of info ? That's wayyy too much since there's 300+ pokemon. I'd keep it simple 5 being the most battles to learn everything about it. or just catching it since i doubt you're gonna battle 5 celabies. But then again i dunno.

No. I was saying 25 max to learn the last info about a Pokemon. so if you want to know all the info of one pokemon, battle it 25 times.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 04:49:54 PM »
I too find it too much, if this is to be implemented. It'll be simply boring if I had to battle the same wild pokemon so many times just to obtain some 'useless' info about it.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Chaoseth

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 05:33:13 PM »
Why don't you just keep the Pokedex basic. In the anime they use it to learn about a pokemon they havent seen before and they get the info about the Pokemon once they've used it. In other MMO's the Pokedex is made so you can see the Pokemon you've seen in game, but only get their full information from catching them. Since the point is "to catch them all" that would make sense when trying to fill up your Pokedex.

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 05:34:56 PM »
Why should you need to battle a Pokémon multiple time to learn new stuff about it? The PokéDex is created for the purpose of giving you all known information which has been collected by Professors (like Prof. Oak).

So unlocking info in your PokéDex is lame.

However you'll only see information about the Pokémon you've encountered once, then you'll also see the locations.

For noobs: Don't worry there will probably be fans who'll create pages in our wikia with all information about where to find what.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:36:56 PM by Mr_Dark »
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".