* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: HMs + Mounts?  (Read 15642 times)

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
Re: HMs + Mounts?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2010, 01:33:01 AM »
I'm all for *EXTREMELY* select ridable pokemon. I think an Absol would be much better equipped for mountain climbing than a bicycle.
i agree with you actually on that except that also ridable pokemon should only b able to be riden on in certain areas, like absol in mountainous area, or arcanine in volcanic areas
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.

Offline xhizor8201

• Normal Trainer
  • I'm on a boat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 01:36:51 AM »
I would like to ride an Arcanine over volcanic terrain, now doesnt that sound like fun.

Offline DrPinkies

• Beginning Trainer
  • IMA FIRIN MAH LAZAR!!! pew pew...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 02:15:39 AM »
I'd prefer a Houndoom...But thats just me.

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 02:17:33 AM »
Besides, visually, a great many people would rather see their sprite riding a Rapidash or whatever than they would a Bicycle. Personally, it would make me feel special.

That being said, I don't think that they should be easilly attainable.

I.E. - If the average amount of money for a player is 50,000 PoKe, then a ridable rapidash should cost roughly 400,000.

Offline DrPinkies

• Beginning Trainer
  • IMA FIRIN MAH LAZAR!!! pew pew...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 02:21:54 AM »
I dont think you should buy the ridable rapidash, instead training for your rapidash which allows it to be mounted.  That way you need the money, AND the pokemon.

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2010, 02:24:05 AM »
I dont think you should buy the ridable rapidash, instead training for your rapidash which allows it to be mounted.  That way you need the money, AND the pokemon.
You wouldn't need the money if you were just training your rapidash. This is one of those features that has to have gameplay win over realistic-ness.

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2010, 03:29:25 AM »
You wouldn't need the money if you were just training your rapidash. This is one of those features that has to have gameplay win over realistic-ness.

i got a better idea, one would train the rapidash to say a high level, like 60, and then one would have to buy the ability for rapidash to be able to be ridden, also this could work with the new electric zebra

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2010, 07:22:02 AM »
What about putting a certain limit to what pokemon can give rides.

An example:
The pokemon has to be over 3'00" can be ridden.

This way, Ponyta, Absol, Arcanine, etc can be ridden while others like Rattata, Raticate, Sandslash etc cannot.

Then we can apply the terrain restrictions, although it doesn't make much sense that Absols can be ridden only on mountainous regions and Arcanines in Volcanic regions to me.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »
[...]
The pokemon has to be over 3'00" can be ridden.

This way, Ponyta, Absol, Arcanine, etc can be ridden while others like Rattata, Raticate, Sandslash etc cannot.
[...]

FULL LIST, if above statement is true.
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »
There are quite some bugs in Veekun... It lists Quilava which is in fact 2'11.4" which is not above 3'00" (and Chikorita: and Flareon: , and Espeon: and Furret: [which by the way is the same size as your character in Veekun! :o] and so on).

And I think firstly, those which can be ridden should be quadruped and bipeds where Veekun has some more bugs in it seems... =S.

Maybe add some more thought to it. We could make a default speed of 2. On ordinary ground, bicycles and pokemon have speed 2 (except certain pokemon for example Lapras or Dewgong for obvious reasons). On road, bicycles get a speed of 3 while pokemon keep the speed of 2.

In mountains, all means drop to 1 except pokemon such as Absol which remains at 2, in volcanoes, Arcanine and such remain at 2 while others drop to 1.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline boyben10

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
  • I m be gud artist now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »
On mountains, there are other pokemon who are not quadriped who could still carry you.
I like slowpoke.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2010, 05:06:21 PM »
On mountains, there are other pokemon who are not quadriped who could still carry you.

And I never stated otherwise :)

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »
And ideal list of ridable pokemon ingame would have all the pokemon that
were Non-legendary
were quadrupedal
were > 3'00"
had a large spot on their back for the trainer to sit on
moved quickly
couldn't fly (Seriously. Riding a flying animal on the ground? No.)
and could hold the weight of both themselves and the trainer easily.

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2010, 01:53:22 AM »
Jerry i'd like to just point out that the terrain thing was just an example, of course one would be able to ride an absol or Arcanine in other places... but certain pokemon such as Arcanine or Ponyta would only be able to bring one in volcanic areas

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2010, 07:15:14 AM »
I too gave an example, a suggestion of how it could be done to encourage riding pokemon in certain areas.

But this part... I don't quite understand ???

but certain pokemon such as Arcanine or Ponyta would only be able to bring one in volcanic areas

... bring one ... bring what?

I know that fire pokemon would seem to be more at ease in such areas, and that's also why I was thinking about some speed system where the speed varies depending on the terrain.