* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: HMs + Mounts?  (Read 15641 times)

Offline Sam

• Beginning Trainer
  • Sam used Hand-Grenade! Foe's Pokémon Sploded!
    • View Profile
HMs + Mounts?
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:56:57 PM »
Let me begin with the idea I have for HMs.
I was thinking, due to HMs being very annoying due to taking up an attack spot, maybe it'd be just a skill you could use outside of battle and not an attack.

I'll use the move Fly as an example. So, as far as I'm aware of, Fly will be pretty much the same as in GB/DS games, taking the player from one town to another in a matter of seconds. Now, with the trainer level system intoduced, I was thinking that once a trainer reaches a certain level, the ability to Fly from town to town would be available. Or even after beating a certain gym.

(Are there gyms in this game?)

It would be a little more useful to not have a HM take over an attack slot.
Also, a little more "realistic".
(Yeah... I'm talking about making a game where we catch creatures in tiny balls and make them fight each other realistic)
I mean, in the console games, what it seems like is bird Pokémon, along with any Pokémon with wings can't fly unless it learns the HM... which is... stupid.
(It's pretty much the same with Surf. So Water Pokémon aren't able to swim whilst having a person on their backs unless they learn Surf?)
So, all Pokémon that can learn Fly in the console games would have Fly as a skill automatically.

It would be all around better (in my opinion) if the HMs were just skills that aren't used in battle, but are used in the field.

Now, another problem you'll probably have realised is that you won't be able to access powerful HM attacks like Surf, Waterfall and Rock Climb. Maybe all of the HM moves would still be available as HM discs, and teachable as attacks if you wanted.

Ugh, I hope that made sense. It probably didn't.

Onto the second idea, it'll work fine if the previous idea mentioned is taken in.
At a certain level, trainers can ride their Pokémon on land, for a speed boost?
I remember reading on a thread, Mr_Dark mentioned that a speed boost for higher-level trainers would be a good idea.
Now, this would be a "field move" like the other HMs (if it's taken into account, obviously) and would be a skill Pokémon belonging to trainers of the highest level could have. This would not only give the speed boost, but look awesome, riding a Pokémon... which would separate the men from the boys, in a sense it would distinguish the high-level trainers from the low-level trainers, because in other MMOs, you can easily tell who's who just by looking at them.
Of course, this would only work outside, not inside any buildings or Pokémon Centres.

(Maybe even a mini game like racing an obstacle course could be introduced?)

Okay, that's all I have. Hope it made sense to everyone.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:16:10 PM by Sam »

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: HMs + Mounts?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 04:18:29 PM »
Use the search bar please...

http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php/topic,328.0.html
http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php/topic,55.0.html

Yes, gyms are in the game. Look 'Game > Storyline' for that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:14:02 PM by Jerry »
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline weirddemon

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »
I didn't really read the post, but Jerry's post seems sufficient to go ahead and lock this thread.

Sam, if you think this thread should be reopened because it is different and its questions are not answered by already answered threads, then PM me and I'll look into it.

Thanks

/locked

Offline weirddemon

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 06:03:13 PM »
Sam has asked me to unlock his thread so that he could elaborate more on his suggestion.

Offline Sam

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »
Thank you very much, Weirddemon.

I wasn't suggesting slots for HMs at all, I was suggesting a new system where the Pokémon have skills that are used outside of battle. Very much like HMs, just they don't count as attacks at all.
HMs are moves that can be used in battle and in the field. These would be moves exclusively used in the field, thus not showing up as a battle attack.
I was suggesting the mount as a move called "Mount" or something similar, a skill exclusive to the field, unlocked at a certain level.

If this post doesn't seem to separate it from the "HM Slot" thread, then feel free to lock it again.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:45:45 PM by Sam »

Offline Sam

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 10:48:03 PM »
By the way, Jerry.
In the 'About' section it doesn't mention gyms, only that you will be able to battle NPCs, that's why I was confused as to whether there will be.

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 11:03:52 PM »
I quote 'The official Pokémon League Commission established no less than seventeen new gyms across the isles and started preparations for a Miryus region Pokémon League, to be held every 6 months along with many other competitions.'

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:33:32 AM »
I quote 'The official Pokémon League Commission established no less than seventeen new gyms across the isles and started preparations for a Miryus region Pokémon League, to be held every 6 months along with many other competitions.'

Thank you! :)
I'll add bold and underline to emphasize the point.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Sam

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 06:12:14 PM »

Thank you! :)
I'll add bold and underline to emphasize the point.

Oh snazzles, yeah. That's in the storyline part.. not about. Your argument is invalid!  ;D
Either way, touché.

Offline Dexwin

• Beginning Trainer
  • Thats my greedy Sableye v.v I love him =']
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 06:29:31 PM »
HMs are needed as attacks for example Surf can hit both opponents, flash CUTS!! your opponents accuracy witch means your opponents pokemon(s) wont be able to hit you that much. HM are needed too in battle for some trainers like me, what about Salamence? when he evolves at lv 55 he learns Fly because its his dream and he learns it by nature too, not using HM as atk slots is worthless and will mess up some pokemons natures too. Think about it..

And the fly thing lets stick to normal that way we will have (NO OFFENCE) noobs around all the time in special places...

But I do like you mount Idea sounds awesome =D thats something I would Agree with but alot of pokemons are bigger than others wont that take up other peoples spaces? and or you can make it so people will phase through other player cuz imagine few noobs blocking a road >.>
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:37:55 PM by Dexwin »

Flyggy, Sharpblade, Irongross, Darkness, Scepty , Terrabyte, Twigy

Plasmie, Chupacabra, Frogger ,Darkness, Aotsuki , Croco

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 12:08:06 AM »
HMs are needed as attacks for example Surf can hit both opponents, flash CUTS!! your opponents accuracy witch means your opponents pokemon(s) wont be able to hit you that much. HM are needed too in battle for some trainers like me, what about Salamence? when he evolves at lv 55 he learns Fly because its his dream and he learns it by nature too, not using HM as atk slots is worthless and will mess up some pokemons natures too. Think about it..

And the fly thing lets stick to normal that way we will have (NO OFFENCE) noobs around all the time in special places...

But I do like you mount Idea sounds awesome =D thats something I would Agree with but alot of pokemons are bigger than others wont that take up other peoples spaces? and or you can make it so people will phase through other player cuz imagine few noobs blocking a road >.>

It would really benefit everyone, if you would read a Majority of the posts, instead of the first and last.

The phasing Idea, Discussed, it wont be an issue
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline Dexwin

• Beginning Trainer
  • Thats my greedy Sableye v.v I love him =']
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 03:13:50 AM »

It would really benefit everyone, if you would read a Majority of the posts, instead of the first and last.

The phasing Idea, Discussed, it wont be an issue

I did read everything, but by nature pokemons are allowed to learn 4 moves, having 4 for battle and 1 aside is like having 5.. but still if deciding weather to learn it inside battle or outside battle might be reasonable, but im sorry =[ ima true pokemon freak since i was 10 and I stick to the normal things

Flyggy, Sharpblade, Irongross, Darkness, Scepty , Terrabyte, Twigy

Plasmie, Chupacabra, Frogger ,Darkness, Aotsuki , Croco

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 04:21:50 AM »
Ive been with it since I was 5, 11 Years total

Hms, I think it should be optional whether they take up a Battle slot, or whether they are "Mounted"
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 11:31:17 PM »
I'd like it if I didn't have to carry around two pokemon just to use as HM slaves like I usually do in regular games. Maybe at least make it so we can remove the move on our own instead of having to go to a move deleter. In past MMOs I've played, when you die you respawn back in town somewhere. So it's not like you'll be stuck in one spot forever.

Offline Monzta

• CharlesedickNB
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Effectively.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 06:59:25 AM »
And maybe the speed skill would improve the speed of the mounted Pokemon.. good idea :)