* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Trainer Styles: Favorites over Best  (Read 8771 times)

Offline FenrirMF

• Beginning Trainer
  • Ware the Dark, for it will encompass you.
    • View Profile
Trainer Styles: Favorites over Best
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:29:10 PM »
Hello. I'm new here, but I'm excited about this game's release, and I'd like to become engrossed in this community.

That being said, I was hoping to open a discussion about the use of a person's favorite pokemon over the best of a certain type. I, for instance, love Charizard, and will use it immensely. I understand that it is considered to be the weakest starting pokemon in any of the games, due to its type interactions, but I tend to find a way around it, anyways. I'm also a huge fan of the Dark type pokemon, namely Houndoom and Tyranitar. What do you all think about using your favorites over the best?
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." --Karen

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
Re: Trainer Styles: Favorites over Best
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:46:58 PM »
Well, I hate legendaries, and only use my favorites. I don't give two craps about strong this, or strong that, if you like your favorites enough, you'll make them strong in some way  ;D

Also, the balance team is making all pokemon more viable to compete, and things have been looking good  ;)

I Use Houndoom(My fav) , Weavile, Flygon, Zangoose, Scyther, and Absol and they are looking better than ever.  ::)

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:43:10 AM »
When it comes to Charizard, the removal of Stealth Rock has made him stronger than ever.
You will not be disappointed!

And as Stephen said, we're working on making every Pokemon at least somewhat viable in the end game, this way, people won't be forced to use Pokemon they dislike to win - they just have to make balanced, well-thought-out teams.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline FenrirMF

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 01:37:19 AM »
So what you're telling me is that my awesome team of awesome will be even more awesome? Lol, my team consists of Charizard/Typhlosion (depending on whether or not Typhlosion can use Rollout, and what version of Rollout is used), Houndoom, Tyranitar, Alakazam, Gengar, and Dragonite. It may seem like it's not too diversified, but the use of Dragonite fixes all, since it can learn thunder, earth, water, fire, dragon, flying, ice, normal, or fighting moves...probably more, if I took the time to think of them all.
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." --Karen

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 02:58:54 AM »
So what you're telling me is that my awesome team of awesome will be even more awesome? Lol, my team consists of Charizard/Typhlosion (depending on whether or not Typhlosion can use Rollout, and what version of Rollout is used), Houndoom, Tyranitar, Alakazam, Gengar, and Dragonite. It may seem like it's not too diversified, but the use of Dragonite fixes all, since it can learn thunder, earth, water, fire, dragon, flying, ice, normal, or fighting moves...probably more, if I took the time to think of them all.

Theoretically, your team could work - though its low defences and the fact that only one of your Pokemon resists water (while 3 are weak), mean that anything capable of taking their hits could deal with it pretty well - like Milotic, Vaporeon, Blastoise and Slowbro even. It'd also get hurt by Scarfers, particularly water again such as Feraligatr, etc.

But your team shouldn't be too bad, at the very least - just extremely offensive.
You'd have to raise and use them intelligently :3

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline FenrirMF

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 04:41:10 AM »
Yeah, I've always been a very offensive player. Dragonite is my contingency plan for aquatic pokemon. I always make sure to teach him Thunder. My backup plan is Gengar/Alakazam. With their speed, special attack, and a bit of hypnosis, they're capable of taking down almost any type besides Dark. Honestly, though, those are just my 7 favorites. If Typhlosion has the rollout that doubles in damage after each hit, going up to 5, he wins out over Charizard, lol.

Offline xhizor8201

• Normal Trainer
  • I'm on a boat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 04:55:12 AM »
Well I use the pokemon in my signature. Empoleon, Gardevoir, Flygon, Drapion, Tyranitar, and Honchkrow. I really like drapion because I thought he was awesome looking and I really like the attacks X-scissor and Cross Poison, but then I found out that drapion wasnt that strong in attack status, so he was weak for some time, until I thought about it and made him stronger. All i did was teach him swords dance and eventually he started wiping out pokemon really fast. As for most of my team, these have been some of my favorites throughout all the pokemon games Ive played. I dont know why, but I really like pokemon with high speed and Sp. Attack, except for tyranitar, but he has extremely high Sp. Defense, Defense, and Attack so hes very helpful throughout the game.

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »
When it comes to Charizard, the removal of Stealth Rock has made him stronger than ever.

And as Stephen said, we're working on making every Pokemon at least somewhat viable in the end game, this way, people won't be forced to use Pokemon they dislike to win - they just have to make balanced, well-thought-out teams.

Woa woa woa, yall took out stealth rock?

Dam that messes up my team. Gotta replace Forettress now

Offline Rikkamira

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 03:08:16 AM »
I love charmander and Cyndaquil, but id probably have to pick charmader! such epic win :3

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 04:45:24 AM »
I usually use pokemon I like, whether it be weak or strong
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 06:36:29 AM »

Woa woa woa, yall took out stealth rock?

Dam that messes up my team. Gotta replace Forettress now

Spikes and Toxic Spikes are still in the game.
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline boyben10

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
  • I m be gud artist now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 06:51:34 AM »
I will always slowking, even though it is often outclassed by other bulky waters, like Suicune, milotic, slowbro, and vaporeon. But, Slowking has access to both recover and nasty plot, which are both amazing moves,  and none of the other ones can successfully function as a special sweeper, even though vaporeon comes close with 110 base SpAtk and recover, similar to slack off. Slowking has been considered pretty bad in terms of bulky water types, but, if it were to be given 100/100/100 stats, it would most definitely be considered OU, so keep that in mind while balancing stats.
I like slowpoke.

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 05:40:56 AM »
I will always slowking, even though it is often outclassed by other bulky waters, like Suicune, milotic, slowbro, and vaporeon. But, Slowking has access to both recover and nasty plot, which are both amazing moves,  and none of the other ones can successfully function as a special sweeper, even though vaporeon comes close with 110 base SpAtk and recover, similar to slack off. Slowking has been considered pretty bad in terms of bulky water types, but, if it were to be given 100/100/100 stats, it would most definitely be considered OU, so keep that in mind while balancing stats.

Vaporeon doesn't have recover :S
But yeah it's cool, I have ideas for Slowking

Offline Sun Fin

• Beginning Trainer
  • The Pokemon General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »
I pick Pokemon I like over the 'best' teams. Of course I moderate that by picking a balanced team, for example not having both Houndoom and Mightyena even though they are probably my two favourite pokemon.

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 02:20:25 AM »

Don't do this^