* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Companion Characters  (Read 7018 times)

Offline Lance_Stormblade

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Companion Characters
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:06:44 PM »
This is an Idea I got from watching stuff from Bioware games (creators of such games as Knights of the old republic, Mass Effect and others) how about having NPCs that join you on your quest for various reasons, such as they owe you a dept for saving their lives, one may have his own reasons like he/she is searching for something and thinks that if he/she joins you he/she might have a better chance of finding it, and there may be times that some of them have joined for secret reasons and turn on you, there are many other Ideas for companion characters too many to list off the top of my head tell me what you think

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: Companion Characters
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
I wonder if spirit already has some quests about NPCs following the player around. I wouldn't be surprised if there was already provision for that...

And there were some of those which were actually present in the pokemon games in the 4th generation of DPPt, namely in the forest of Eterna, in Mt Stark, in Victory Road (post national dex) and maybe more I forgot.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Lance_Stormblade

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »
I wasn't thinking just for certain parts of the game like in gen 4 I was thinking like for long periods if not for the whole game, they may have certain skills that you aren't good at and you can balance it out with your companions, play/watch a walkthrough to a bioware video game in order to get what I am talking about

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:02:45 PM »
The main issue with this is findingg a way for it to be incorporated into a MMORPG. If the NPC is following you then everybody else would see this. And, after passing a certain point in the game anybody could have him. This would result in the same guy being in mulitple places at once. A little iffy :P

Offline partyprash

• Member Design Team
  • Contributor
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • PartyPrashVideos
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:22:29 PM »
yea, i think that there will be quite a lot of players as it is,and we must prevent as much clutter on the screen as possible, i don't feel that it is a good idea having npc's following you around the entire game, just more messy clutter to look at while playing..

Offline DarK_SouL

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 03:35:40 PM »
Maybe only you can see him?

Also, wasn't parties talked about? Was that for missions? And what did you guys answer?
Friend DarkerSou1 on Xbox Live, tell me who you is tho.

Offline baralai15

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
Maybe only you can see him?

Also, wasn't parties talked about? Was that for missions? And what did you guys answer?

ahh an imaginary friend? But i do like this idea, i wouldnt feel so... lonely.

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 07:08:24 PM »
Parties would consist of multiple players, not NPCs.
It's a good idea, but quite far down the pipeline as far as priority is concerned.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »
I never liked the companion characters in gen 4, they kept getting in my way. meaning I kept killing their Pokemon. So no i don't really want NPCs, maby real people? But who knows?

Offline Lance_Stormblade

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 11:51:29 PM »
maybe do it like in the upcoming game Star Wars the Old Repubic by bioware who is known for having companion characters in all their games and letting you switch out and make it so you can have a limited number with you at a time, in other Bioware games such as Mass Effect or Knights of the Old Republic you could have two companions with you, however I am seeing why people aren't liking this because it would clutter up the screen so why not having a location where your companion characters can hang out, like the Ebon Hawk starship in Star wars Knights of the Old Republic? and only be able to take ONE companion character with you like in the MMORPG Star Wars the Old Republic, which I also intend to play!

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 12:39:37 AM »
I dont see a point in having companion characters in a pokemon game where traditionally you stick it out on your own. If you want people to help you in battle get a friend to do a double battle with you. Thats why its an MMO.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 12:41:47 AM »
I dont see a point in having companion characters in a pokemon game where traditionally you stick it out on your own. If you want people to help you in battle get a friend to do a double battle with you. Thats why its an MMO.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 06:48:59 AM »
Well, aren't your pokemon companions themselves? Why need more? :D
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Lance_Stormblade

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 12:11:18 PM »
I got the Idea when playing Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, when I had one companion character know how to hack into a computer, another how to repair a droid among other things, I thought what about one that could hack into the evil organizations base, another could be a breeder in specialty who could breed your pokemon so you won't have to go to the daycare center and have to pay money to get your pokemon back and so on, I do have other Ideas if anyone wants to hear my other Ideas just tell me!

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 01:55:12 PM »
I got the Idea when playing Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, when I had one companion character know how to hack into a computer, another how to repair a droid among other things, I thought what about one that could hack into the evil organizations base, another could be a breeder in specialty who could breed your pokemon so you won't have to go to the daycare center and have to pay money to get your pokemon back and so on, I do have other Ideas if anyone wants to hear my other Ideas just tell me!

Ya we get the part you like KOTOR, so does everyone else whose played it. But there is no need for companions in a pokemon game