* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Gym battles  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
Gym battles
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:22:43 AM »
I was looking and i don't think anyone posted this idea yet.

I saw a post about keeping the gym types a secrete, and thought that what if the doors locked behind you kinda like the elite 4 battles.  this way you can't battle one jr. trainer then back out and adjust your team.  You would have to be ready for anything, if you lost you would still blackout or what ever the pu team decides to do (losing would reflect poorly on the trainer i'm assuming)
idk if it's a good idea or not but i think it could add a bit of a challenge for players upon entering a gym.

and yes i know it's hard to keep the gym types a complete secrete but I myself will try to avoid knowing the types to up the challenge

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Gym battles
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:10:10 AM »
also i was a post about the gym leaders having a bank of pokemon, i think these two ideas together could make the gym battles more challenging, especially if you have to go through the jr trainers without being able to run to a pokecenter. 

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »
The problem with that is the first guy who beats that gym is gonna blab to the world what type it is. They wont be secrets for long, no matter how much u dont want to kno

Offline crozza159

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 06:42:06 AM »
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I would love to see a dark type gym leader, mainly because in 5 generations of pokemon games, it is the only type to not have a gym leader.

Thanks to cortexjs for making this banner.

zylonnick

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »
The problem with that is the first guy who beats that gym is gonna blab to the world what type it is. They wont be secrets for long, no matter how much u dont want to kno

That's true, so it probably Won't help keeping it a secret. But by implenting a bank of pokémon, you still have an element of surprise (like lanturn or ludicolo in a water gym).

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I would love to see a dark type gym leader, mainly because in 5 generations of pokemon games, it is the only type to not have a gym leader.

There are going to be 17 gyms, and there are 17 types. I think it isn't hard to do the math;)

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »
i get that the first guy through will blab but i still like the idea of the door locking until you either lose or win.  I think it would add a degree of difficultly to the gyms if you can't just run out and heal at a pokemon center.

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
There are going to be 17 gyms, and there are 17 types. I think it isn't hard to do the math;)

Wait, you mean there won't be 17 fire gyms? :O

i get that the first guy through will blab but i still like the idea of the door locking until you either lose or win.  I think it would add a degree of difficultly to the gyms if you can't just run out and heal at a pokemon center.

I see that you want to add a degree of difficulty, however all it does is encourage players to stock up on potions and revives before entering. If you really want to make it hard you just have to increase the gym leader's pokemon levels.

Offline Azaeliaz

• Beginning Trainer
  • Break It Up, You Two...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 11:34:15 PM »
It's time for another one of Azaeliaz's probably-already-suggested ideas!

What if the game randomly chose a gym for you? Like, all the gyms would look the same, but when you go in, you get one out of a lot of gyms. When you first go in, you can heal Pokemon and switch them around and stuff. Then you go in and battle the junior trainers and the gym leader. You can exit the gym but when you do the gym randomly switches to a different gym, so you have to have a good stock of items 'cause you can't just go out and heal. I also think that the colour scheme should be plain so you can't guess the type.

I'm still a noob so my ideas probably suck/have been suggested before. I'm sorry if I repeated an already said idea!
Do you ever feel that one day, you're going to meet a real Pokemon? Yeah, I have SEPD. (That's short for Seriously Extreme Pokemon Addiction.)

I think I need to be put in a fanatic's mental hospital.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
Well, I would guess that if that was possible, it would be okay/fun, but one question resides... is that programmable? I'm not sure (I'm almost sure it isn't)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline BrodyMason

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 06:19:51 PM »
I think some sort of system that would calibrate the gym leader's overall pokemon level in comparison to yours would be a good way of keeping it challenging.

On a side note, I hope that the player would be able to get involved more with the gyms than in mainstream pokemon games. The gyms were always one of my favorite parts in pokemon and if each gym had a quest line or something along that area, that would be pretty awesome.