* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [GUILD] Pokemon Knights  (Read 1973437 times)

Offline Hinagiku

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: [GUILD] Pokemon Knights
« Reply #2595 on: February 01, 2012, 05:28:02 AM »
Math is too easy for me. History is another strong point. Biology is cake. Music Theory was simple to me, and english courses, well, we all can guess how I do in that. Never met a subject I couldn't pass, and never met a teacher that hated my gutts.
Most of this is the same for me, except I haven't taken a Music Theory course. Math was extremely easy up to Precalc/Calc, but probably since I didn't have the best teachers there. They were nice, but as far as teaching the actual subject goes.... I was left very confused but managed to pass with A's.
Even my AP World (History as a subject is good, but no idea how this teacher came up with his test questions....o_O) I passed with a B, and upped it to an A with a 4 on the exam.
Consistently my English teachers were always the best, teaching and personality-wise. :3 :\ But a lot of people didn't like them.... Though those people are the slackers who failed the rest of their classes unless it was a very-easy-A class. Or the people who'd only heard bad things from said slackers.

and @John Flame, haha, didn't mean to run you off!

@CraigGameFan while that's true in plenty of cases, I really do like education, and education is a right that not everyone has access to sadly. It's the system that needs some reform I think, but I consider school a very good thing, as much as I claim to like avoiding it sometimes.

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: February 01, 2012, 07:26:46 AM »
Sorry to interject.  But, dammit.  The education system in the states at least.  Needs a major overhaul.  I mean standardized testing is not a good measure of a students worth.  Also schools need to look at the differences of each student.  They usually leave it at this "The students are just to dumb."  (An actual quote from a teacher I once had.)

I also feel a students worth shouldn't be assessed by testing.  I'll use myself for an example. (It's also the moment I realized I wanted to be a teacher.)

I always excelled in math, music and history.  I had a hard time understanding how some kids just couldn't grasp basic math problems, like the pythagorean theorem.  I then sided with the people who push for standardized testing, I thought those kids were just dumb.  Then my world came crashing down.  In seventh grade, I had to start Spanish.  I- for the live of me.  Could not grasp it.  I studied 2 hours a night. (that's a lot for me, I usually only need like 20 min per subject)  And honestly I couldn't get it.  I only passed the regents because of my effort, and I only scored like a 68.  Which is awful. 

Now much to my surprise, there were a few students that excelled in Spanish.  And some of them were people I'd labeled as dumb, based on math and other subjects.  This is when I realized that not every student learns the same way, and not every student will excel in the same things.  That's when it hit me.  Education needed to be based on the needs, strengths and interests of the students.  Not what some suit and tie wearing dumbass said.

After that, I've decided to become a teacher.  I want to tailor my classes towards my students.  I want to help them learn, to explore what their strengths and interests are.  While using those strengths and interests to fuel their needs.  (Subjects they are weak in)  I want to feed off of those interests and strengths, and use them to help my students learn my subject.  (Whatever it ends up being, haven't decided between match and music yet)   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:48:42 AM by Bing »

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: February 01, 2012, 07:31:48 AM »
Yea, and unfortunately, there might be a lot of things that students are unaware of because nobody ever gave them the opportunity to try it. On the contrary, many are forced into things they aren't 'biologically strong' in. That said, it doesn't mean that being 'weak' in something is not being able to it at all ;) Just that it usually takes more time to learn :)

Good luck on that Bing! ^-^
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Hinagiku

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: February 01, 2012, 07:44:58 AM »
@Bing, I seriously respect you for that--its a really noble goal you have there. I wish you all the best of luck on that path. :) I hope I can do the same when I become a teacher (though not in the U.S., thank goodness) and help my students learn to the best of their abilities.

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: February 01, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »
Thanks.  It's a long way off.  I've still got 3-4 years of college left.  (Stupid Masters)  But, I hope I can make some difference.  Even if it's just with a few students in a small school.  That's all that matters to me.

Offline Hinagiku

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: February 01, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »
I think that's the best way to think of it though. n_n And I know you'll make a difference, because you want to enough!

Offline John Flame

• Good Trainer
  • Smite first,questions later
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: February 01, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »
May luck smile to you in your quest for that goal Bing.May you climb the stairway of victory,and prevail over defeat.

I do agree with you,that the educational system(worldwide) needs a revamp.

I want to be able to choose classes that interest me.That i excel,that i feel i am someone over that annoying human being standing infront of the board thinking that he knows more than all of the class together.And btw,i know what you feel about Spanish.....i entered that classroom saying(I am gonna learn the 2nd most spoken language,w00t!) and left saying (How can this be the 2nd most spoken language..)

Save for 7th grade,in wich i actually paid attention to somethink in spanish class....*cough*dat woman*cough*

And with that i leave my hate for politicians,they try to build laws and tactics over topics they never tried to understood.
They try to regulate the internet,but understimate how strong we are,they think that they are smarter then us,while they were just the ones to pick that style of life.We need new leaders,worldwide leaders..not picked from politicians,but from us,the people.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:43:37 PM by John Flame »

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: February 01, 2012, 03:49:02 PM »
May luck smile to you in your quest for that goal Bing.May you climb the stairway of victory,and prevail over defeat.

I do agree with you,that the educational system(worldwide) needs a revamp.

I want to be able to choose classes that interest me.That i excel,that i feel i am someone over that annoying human being standing infront of the board thinking that he knows more than all of the class together. [...]

This is something else which is dangerous. What if there is a subject out there that you never thought about? What if your initial opinion about it was that it's lame and stuff, but then, when the time comes and you get the opportunity to try it, you see that it actually is very interesting to you?

From my experience, I absolutely hated writing descriptive/narrative essays... guess what? I like them now, to the point I submitted 3 or 4 quests to spirit last year and was lucky to get them in the first place and still write from time to time (wrote ~2000 words today for a pokemon group and maybe more coming tonight).

Now, if I never was taught how to do it, I would have never ever tried it again. To be honest, I had poor marks in writing in elementary school.

How many times have you judged something by the looks and only later learned better? That's why I'm more towards the policy of trying a lot of things first, as many as possible and then allow people to select where they want to go.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline John Flame

• Good Trainer
  • Smite first,questions later
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: February 01, 2012, 04:46:21 PM »
Well,ofcourse we wont let a 5 year old pick wath he wants to do.Because he would certainly pick to go play instead of build towards it's future.

But hey,i think that a 15-16 teen has already,even if just briefly,thinked about wath he likes and wath he wants for his/her future.
Well,ofcourse.There is always the darker side of the teenhood.

*Hopes to live enuf to see humanity reach the next step of evolution...were there are no more murders,were noone has to rely to their muscles to solve problems.A world in peace with itself...*

"We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies."
— Roderick Thorp

Offline lubbies

• Normal Trainer
  • why is a torchic in water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: February 01, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
There are some times when I wanna pick to play and sometimes I pick to work hard. After all I'm only human... Though I wish I was a multi millionaire assassin robot of ultimate destruction. It has it's ups and downs.

Edit: this is my official 100 post...
Grafics Cat <3

'If a stranger offers you drugs, say thank you because drugs are expensive.' - a wise man

Offline Ayara012

• Good Trainer
  • Arch Knight Ayara here~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: February 01, 2012, 09:45:54 PM »
Wow, I really got left behind in this discussion. I have to agree, the school systems need some work. I mean, set aside the fact that, as a teen, i hate being forced to go to school and spend most of my time cooped up in a classroom, and the rest of it doing homework. But besides that, things just don't fit well. I mean, they think that making kids sit in the same room for 3 hours taking one super long test, eating, then sitting there for another 3 hours is an accurate way to measure a kids abilities? Does that REALLY seem like the best way? And then the schedule to begin with-we take all these subjects, but we forget half of them or don't learn them properly in the first place due to pace (going to fast, going to slow, etc.)
And if anyone here goes to a magnet A day B day schedule school...It's even worse. I mean, yeah, we get an extra day for HW, but we sit in a classroom for an hour and a half straight... bleh. I mean, if you're watching a movie or doing something fun it's great, but if you're in a class like math, working on a part that has you totally confused, it's like, agonizing. And I have math first thing, too... TT.TT
As the saying goes, Curiosity killed the cat, not the dragon.
Sister, you really must stop throwing shoes at people.
Hello there.

Offline Mr.Dodo

• Normal Trainer
  • Sleepy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: February 01, 2012, 10:01:19 PM »
Have to share this :D
 While playing Black i got Magikarp from salesman. And i say to myself OK lets evolve it :) And go to route right and got challanged by wild Pokemon. Magikarp was on first slot and i swap it and Wild Pokemon used Perish song :D My active,Emboar after 3 turns died with wild and magikarp grew from lvl 5 to lvl 21 :D

Offline Ayara012

• Good Trainer
  • Arch Knight Ayara here~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: February 01, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »
5 to 21?! I've had some good level up moments before, but that's just wow!
As the saying goes, Curiosity killed the cat, not the dragon.
Sister, you really must stop throwing shoes at people.
Hello there.

Offline Arctus

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: February 02, 2012, 12:16:05 AM »
Im fairly happy with the education system where i live, primary school we don't get a say obviously, years 7 and 8, we have 3 classes, which are split into (Maths/Science/PE) (English SOSE and LOTE) and (Art, IT etc.) and then for years 9-10 we get to choose our 4 out of 6 classes (maths and english are compulsory) and for years 11 and 12 its completely up to us.

And nice work with the magikarp.

Offline WhatThePumpkin

• Good Trainer
  • Currently On Hiatus
    • View Profile
    • WhatThePumpkin's dA
« Reply #2609 on: February 02, 2012, 03:14:19 AM »
"Save for 7th grade,in wich i actually paid attention to somethink in spanish class....*cough*dat woman*cough*"
Hurrhurrhurr :D You remind me of Me, last year, in my french class XD I was in love with the assistant. He was really funny, and just awesome XD Too bad he had to go back... :C *sniff* oh well, my Ukranian friend makes up for that loss....
"Science=my best and favorite subject. I kick butt in science class. Me, Rui, Ben, and Tomer have actually been referred to as "The smart kids" By Nick and Justin and co.
Math....It's an okay subject, I just don't like ti cuz my teacher goes too fast.
History-kick butt.
Bio-I enjoy it, except for my teacher. He can be kind of boring and tempermental. Not the worst, though. and i kick butt.
English-I generally enjoy it, although i HATE Tale of Two Cities with a Passion. And While not many, i HAVE met some terrible teachers. Mrs. Greisman, Mrs.Washington....geh. Now, a fun class-American Music. Simply because we get to sit around either a.) watching a video b.) listening to random music or c.) working on the computer, on WIKIPEDIA, to create a musical influence family tree. Tech Ed and American Music-laziest classes ever. da BOMB."
What about AMERICAN HISTORY!!! :C Tis the best class I have (Edit: Oh, you called it History. I see what you did there!! *insert Cathlin's I-see-what-you-did-there asian face*)
Shcool is fail. My math teacher said that most of what we learn, we won't ever really need to use. I like Charles Dickens, but give me a timeframe for it, and I can assure you, I will NOT read the book. At all.
America needs to work on the teacher's attitudes as well. I once heard an EMPLOYED, MATH teacher cursing at this poor kid in the hall on my way to lunch. And another theacher (guess the subject) started a fight with a student(meaning she provoked it), and the student got expelled, and the teacher was off scott-free. :/ That's why I'm slightly excited to go to boarding school in Germany. I WON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THESE POOR FOOLS. :D
Not you Laurel. You're my big sister :P

Fais Gaffe Au Soleil~
--
Well, next time you see ol' Firecrotch, make sure you give him a bad batch- Nagi Kengamine
--
No matter how girly I act, I am a man, and I would like to be seen as one. You are forgiven for accidents, but not ignorance. You can skype me at angelofcorpses if you have any questions, as I am on hiatus