* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Don't be so harsh on the noobs.  (Read 5319 times)

Offline Ez

• Good Trainer
  • Pikaderp
    • View Profile
    • My Banner Thread
Don't be so harsh on the noobs.
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »
Well yea title says it all. Also the reason i'm posting this is because iv'e noticed mods and more recognized PU members to be just a little harsh to the new comers and i just wanted to say take it easy you know? I know it can be irritating to have newbies posting dumb stuff that was already answered but they're new, and to a place like PU where most people join just to play the game not chat in forums well, they're probably entirely new to forums and will ignore the search bar and probably be to excited to play the game to care about reading. You have to recognize that this is Pokemon so the majority of the people who come here are 10-16 year old's and when they ask questions because they want to be part of the community and members just shut them down by saying negative things like, "it's been answered so many times next time use the search bar" well it basically scares em away, and instead of being part of the community which is great but just has some minor flaws like all good communities do, they just play the game and never take part in the community. I'm not saying i'm perfect iv'e put newcomers down with harsh words many times before but i realized we were all noobs before, and if we go to a new environment that we have no clue on what it's about.... well i'm pretty sure we'd be in derp mode to. That's all i gotta say i hope you know where i'm coming from and agree with me.

Also there is one person i want to apologize to and that is FrenchFry. So yea sorry dude i was being a jerk, i don't want to have anger toward anyone in something that's supposed to be a friendly forum.

On a ending note i just want to say iv'e seen great forums and communities that have been ruined because of the large number of trolls and jerks, who basically started a domino effect and caused evry new person who registered to become one of them.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:49:04 AM by Ez »
It's over 9000!

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
Re: Don't be so harsh on the noobs.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »
 Ez, what you might have noticed is not directed at newcomers. I joined during April and I never experienced any problems. Why? Because I was capable of piecing together a normal, comprehensible sentence and respectfully lay down ideas or have discussions.

I know I posted some things that have already been said, but I at least tried to search on that particular idea. It's toward newcomers that hostility is shown, it's toward those people who clearly did not take the minimal effort of at least searching for it, or look it up in the Game section. If they can't follow the rules and regulations because they stand above reading a text that was designed to give them a better time here on the forums, fine. But when somebody makes the thread about when the game is coming out, that's a bit too much.

So all you newcomers who read this post, here's my advice:

- Your posts should be comprehensible, in the sense that you should at least respect the people who will be reading your post with a readable sentence/wall of text.

- Please try to read up on the subject that you are interested in, whether about the Game or else. 'THE GAME' button is there for you to read about.

- Use the search function, I know it's not perfect and it's a bit hard to use, but once you get used to it, you will be surprised that it actually works. So please give the search bar a chance to prove useful.

- Read the rules and regulations, and try to keep to them. It provides a better experience for both you, and the readers.

- Try not to be offensive or inappropriate, you won't make too many friends that way. I'm sure you must know this by now.

- If you looked up on it, and still didn't find what you were looking for, we will be there to help you out.

- Although there's probably some more advice I could give you, my last one is this: Listen to what Jerry says.

Hope that cleared up this little misunderstanding, and of course we are looking forward to have more active newcomers. See you on chat or on the forums.

Cheers, Genbor
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Ez

• Good Trainer
  • Pikaderp
    • View Profile
    • My Banner Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:29:34 AM »
Ez, what you might have noticed is not directed at newcomers. I joined during April and I never experienced any problems. Why? Because I was capable of piecing together a normal, comprehensible sentence and respectfully lay down ideas or have discussions.

I know I posted some things that have already been said, but I at least tried to search on that particular idea. It's toward newcomers that hostility is shown, it's toward those people who clearly did not take the minimal effort of at least searching for it, or look it up in the Game section. If they can't follow the rules and regulations because they stand above reading a text that was designed to give them a better time here on the forums, fine. But when somebody makes the thread about when the game is coming out, that's a bit too much.

So all you newcomers who read this post, here's my advice:

- Your posts should be comprehensible, in the sense that you should at least respect the people who will be reading your post with a readable sentence/wall of text.

- Please try to read up on the subject that you are interested in, whether about the Game or else. 'THE GAME' button is there for you to read about.

- Use the search function, I know it's not perfect and it's a bit hard to use, but once you get used to it, you will be surprised that it actually works. So please give the search bar a chance to prove useful.

- Read the rules and regulations, and try to keep to them. It provides a better experience for both you, and the readers.

- Try not to be offensive or inappropriate, you won't make too many friends that way. I'm sure you must know this by now.

- If you looked up on it, and still didn't find what you were looking for, we will be there to help you out.

- Although there's probably some more advice I could give you, my last one is this: Listen to what Jerry says.

Hope that cleared up this little misunderstanding, and of course we are looking forward to have more active newcomers. See you on chat or on the forums.

Cheers, Genbor

100% Agree but the main thing i'm going at is when newcomers make a thread of something that is already made, i tend to see a small amount of hate go towards them, but when asking something like when is the game coming out is a bit too foolish but i can see 12 year old's asking those questions. I'm gonna take a guess and say you are probably 15 16? maybe older so you have more knowledge then the average 10 11 year old, so you'd know better but i have little cousins and sisters age 8-11 and they act dumb, notice i'm not calling any of you younger folks dumb but i'm saying you act dumb and tent to say foolish things, so point i'm getting at is that they are young and young kids tent to do things that aren't so bright. and i'm telling you right now that if i were 11 years old every one in PU would hate me because i was a dumb kid at that age ...  ;D. Btw your advice should be stickyed although i can guarantee you newcomers will most likely not read it but for those who do it will be helpful to them. Also i don't mean to sound like some old wise guy, i'm 15 so yea a teen and i do dumb stuff all the time, but that's because i don't think before i act which is what happens in communities a lot.
It's over 9000!

Offline Monzta

• CharlesedickNB
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Effectively.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 10:41:38 AM »
Nope.. this doesn't happen. We normally straight out say use the search function or browse the website until you find your answer, then wait for a lock.

Offline Ez

• Good Trainer
  • Pikaderp
    • View Profile
    • My Banner Thread
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 10:48:29 AM »
Nope.. this doesn't happen. We normally straight out say use the search function or browse the website until you find your answer, then wait for a lock.

Not from what iv'e seen and i'm not saying everyone does it or the a large majority does it but their is times when it happens, but if you don't agree with me then hey what can i say other then everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
It's over 9000!

Offline Flynt

• Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:56:19 PM »
i m on PU from this march but i am new to the forums.i started posting about 1 month ago and u r right that mostly new comers dont use search.i happened to me many times so i know that.

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Ez

• Good Trainer
  • Pikaderp
    • View Profile
    • My Banner Thread
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 03:13:09 PM »
Sticky: http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php/topic,3403.0.html

Thanks Mr_Dark you can lock this if you want people can read it and agree or disagree but there is no reason to have a dispute over it
It's over 9000!

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »
I've been harsher to newbs as of late.
I'll stop XP

Well.... maybe the occasional troll...
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.