* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Ideas for out of battle moves and evolution  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Reafer

• Normal Trainer
  • Gents Dandy Cookies Association
    • View Profile
Ideas for out of battle moves and evolution
« on: January 02, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »
I don't know if this is tedious for you guys, but what if when Pokemon use cut, rock smash, etc. they can be seen using water gun, or vine whip to cut down the trees?
For example: You teach Squirtle Rock Smash and come to a boulder that is blocking you're path. So then you command Squirtle to use Rock Smash and he comes out of his Pokeball or out from behind you and shoots water at the boulder.

Also for when a Pokemon evolves why not have it make a cocoon out of it's element. You know how when Caterpie  shot itself with string shot to make a cocoon? Well I was thinking the same could be done with other Pokemon.
Example: Charmander is evolving and so it starts shooting fire into the air, that surrounds him into a cocoon and then comes out Charmeleon.
I love Turtles!
For I am the Turtle God!!!

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for out of battle moves and evolution
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:31:33 PM »
  I'm not really sure about the first idea, but I like the "Elemental Cocoon". It could add a twist to the original "two vectors flashing and suddenly Evolved" type of scenario. How would you propose the Cocoon to work for a dual-type? For example, would Nidorino have Poison mixed with Earth Cocoon? Or just a brown-purple blob?

On the first idea, maybe. It would require lots of art though, seeing as there are 17 different types of Pokémon. While not every type can learn a certain move, it would still require for sorting through which type can, and then adding different animations to the different types when learning that move. Maybe just have a common animation for each move. Still would take effort, but I find this more realistic. The other one... maybe through time.
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Reafer

• Normal Trainer
  • Gents Dandy Cookies Association
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 09:46:44 PM »
For duo types yes some would require some thought for the "Elemental cocoon". But it also depends on the Pokemon I think. Or a poll can be started. For flying types with wings I was thinking something along the lines of a big and condensed ball of air surrounding the Pokemon, or maybe even feathers. For grass and poison types, maybe a cocoon of poison ivy leaves? Or rock surrounds the Pokemon and melts away into a pool of poison?
For metal types, iron starts to jet out of the ground until the Pokemon evolves. For Onix, rocks and iron fly towards him and breaks away leaving behind iron rods that attach to his body.
I'll try to draw something up for "Elemental Cocoon".
And for the first Idea I thought the move used to break down rocks could be associated with their first type.
I love Turtles!
For I am the Turtle God!!!

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
As for the first idea, no. Just no.

This is because field moves such as Cut and Rock Smash will not likely be in PU for the simple reason of their purpose. This has been discussed long ago, several times. The run down of it: What is the purpose of trees and rocks? Block a path. Okay... now what if one trainer does that? Other will be able to go through that path without having to have Cut and/or Rock Smash!? Simply no.

And for the second one, since I try to base things off the anime... a simple 'mutation' of the silhouettes of the pokemon would suffice me. Having the white silhouette 'grow' instead of having two of them flashing until the evolved form appears... I learned this was quite easy to make with flash, and that said, it can easily then be exported into a gif image.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline TrainerX

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 09:01:35 PM »
  I'm not really sure about the first idea, but I like the "Elemental Cocoon". It could add a twist to the original "two vectors flashing and suddenly Evolved" type of scenario. How would you propose the Cocoon to work for a dual-type? For example, would Nidorino have Poison mixed with Earth Cocoon? Or just a brown-purple blob?
They could just use whatever their first type is for dual types. That way only 17 different sequences would have to be made.

For duo types yes some would require some thought for the "Elemental cocoon". But it also depends on the Pokemon I think. Or a poll can be started. For flying types with wings I was thinking something along the lines of a big and condensed ball of air surrounding the Pokemon, or maybe even feathers. For grass and poison types, maybe a cocoon of poison ivy leaves? Or rock surrounds the Pokemon and melts away into a pool of poison?
For metal types, iron starts to jet out of the ground until the Pokemon evolves. For Onix, rocks and iron fly towards him and breaks away leaving behind iron rods that attach to his body.
I'll try to draw something up for "Elemental Cocoon".
And for the first Idea I thought the move used to break down rocks could be associated with their first type.
It would be a lot of work to give each individual pokemon their own evolution sequence when they evolved. If they only had to implement 17 different ones like I said before, it's possible they could implement it later after the game is finished. I'm fine with the white Silhouette growing like Jerry said, and I don't really mind the two vectors flashing when it evolves either.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:07:55 PM »
It would be a lot of work to give each individual pokemon their own evolution sequence when they evolved. If they only had to implement 17 different ones like I said before, it's possible they could implement it later after the game is finished. I'm fine with the white Silhouette growing like Jerry said, and I don't really mind the two vectors flashing when it evolves either.

That's not what I said :P

I said we could use some morphing sprite like they do in the anime, instead of two flashing white sprites.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 04:41:50 PM »
@Reafer: Considering the lack of spriters and animators it will be tedious work for us to do this.
Besides it is not even certain these obstacles will be in the game; simply too many ways a person, who doesn't have the skill, can benefit from the player infront of him while he/she uses the move.

The developer team will look into this when we get to it.

/locked
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"