* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Critical Strikes  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Anunnaki

• Beginning Trainer
  • I'M NEW! BE NICE!
    • View Profile
Critical Strikes
« on: January 13, 2012, 06:18:49 AM »
I had an idea i thought I'de share with the community that involves Critical Hits. At the risk of completely changing the 1v1 system I had a theory of making pokemon battles as even as possible when it comes to type adv/disadvantages.
My theory was say you have a an Electric pokemon up against a Water pokemon, the Water type has the obvious disadvantage so my idea was to give out critical hits which stunn the opponent and allow for the Water pokemon to have another turn. And to make sure one doesnt get too much criticals have a low % of criticals. Higher % for the higher disadvantage. And for battles where there is no advantage have no criticals.
Was just a thought that came to me whilst sleeping and wouldn't be suprised if it was turned down :)
I ran out of time posting this thread and have more indepth ideas I would be happy to share with you if accepted.
Don't Argue with an Idiot.. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
Re: Critical Strikes
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:25:55 AM »
So what your saying is because something has a type disadvantage, its allowed to crit and go again?
Considering most people have...you know...type coverage, not only do they get a super effective hit, it has a chance to stun them to let the player attack again with this super effective hit.

I really don't see why someone should be able to do that.
The thrill in playing a game does not come from our chances of winning. It is the weight and pressure of losing that fuels our fascination. It is why people challenge, why they gamble and why they compete. The adrenaline that comes from defying defeat is what motivates us.

Offline Shadowfred

• Gameplay Balancer/Pretty cool guy
  • PU Team
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 06:50:26 AM »
Silver has it in one. Defensive type doesn't equal attacking type.

If we were to implement it anyway, ignoring the fact that type advantages/disadvantages are a core part of pokemon and messing with them too much will just confuse people, I can still see this upsetting the balance. First off, the stun itself sounds like a bad idea. They hit you, you survive and hit them back. Stun! Now you get another turn, but what about the opponent? Are they just stuck waiting for you to whatever you want? Can they switch? It feels an awful lot like using something like Outrage, without actually attacking. So, if that's not what you meant, I guess maybe we could try it as a flinch? But the problem with that is that you have to go first for a flinch to happen. That means people will start running faster pokemon over slower ones, because the slower ones can't get flinches as often. It would also put pokemon like Blaziken or Yanmega in the super duper high tiers, thanks to speed boost.

So, long story short, I'm pretty sure we won't be implementing this suggestion.

I'd still like to hear the rest of your ideas though. :D

Offline lubbies

• Normal Trainer
  • why is a torchic in water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »
If they have a type advantage then too bad for them. its unlucky but thats how all the games work sometimes i beat a pokemon with the advantage and sometimes i dont.
Grafics Cat <3

'If a stranger offers you drugs, say thank you because drugs are expensive.' - a wise man

Offline Mr.Dodo

• Normal Trainer
  • Sleepy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »
Don't take it personal but this is a piece of sh!t.
Why would Pokemon who have disadvantage have critical strike?
Critical strike was in every game and it is only based on luck (exceptions some moves).

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »
Not only that, there are no random criticals anymore in the system if you played on the balance testing server. Only moves that have a chance to crit will have a crit in it. And having a flinch or stun option for a disadvantaged pokemon is the wrong direction to go.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:04:34 PM »
i will only say one thing

for years and years, the Critical Hit has been a random chance on moves, there are moves that have a High Critical Ratio but still, if they are allready putting only critical chance on the moves that have critical on them why would they change it completly? and if it did changed, everyone would have to learn about these criticals when there is nothing to learn from criticals in the game.

Critical Hit : a random chance when using a damaging move that does two times the damage on the other pokemon, if the attacking pokemon has Sniper ability, it does three times the damage.
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^

Offline Anunnaki

• Beginning Trainer
  • I'M NEW! BE NICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 04:32:26 AM »
Lol yea I thought it may of disturbed the balance however I just thought a (stun/flinch, same thing too me) would of been an idea for something different. Its not like the game isn't a roll of the dice sometimes already (no disrespect) I just thought why not make things interesting when it comes to a type or lvl disadvantage. I got the idea from watching pokemon when you see on numerous occations a pokemon with a disadvantage weather it be a lower lvl or type disadvantage would often get two attacks in before the opponent attacks back. I feel it would only make the battle experiences more like the t.v battles which may not be the right answer its only a harmless suggestion.
Don't Argue with an Idiot.. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..

Offline Anunnaki

• Beginning Trainer
  • I'M NEW! BE NICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 04:41:29 AM »
Oh and maybe critical strike was the wrong approach for a subject name. Criticals add extra dmg I'm talking more about giving a pokemon who has little chance of winning a battle an oppotunity to get afew extra hits before the inevitable happens.
Im not sure how hard it would be to control the % chance a (stun/flinch) would occur pending on the difference of lvls and type advantage but I only wanted this to occur for those pokemon who really have no chance at a victory.
So yea its probably more trouble then its worth but was worth throwing it out there :)

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 04:43:25 AM »
I know it's your topic and all, but no double posting.

Offline Anunnaki

• Beginning Trainer
  • I'M NEW! BE NICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 05:05:33 AM »
I know it's your topic and all, but no double posting.

Ah sorry dude wasn't aware of that rule. I just had to clarify so people knew what I was yacking on about. But its all good the more I think of it the more I can see it would be too hard to implement what im talking about.
+ i would hate to prolong the game any further.

Offline Aquashin

• Normal Trainer
  • Being a Airhead its a Bliss...what's a bliss?..
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 05:20:14 AM »
dont sweat about it, you had a suggestion and you gave it, doesnt matter if it was a bad one, you had guts to let it out to everyone^^
Im a girl, not a guy... and pleasse call me Aqua , a Pachirisu lover^^

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 05:47:41 AM »
So long as this has been settled, we can lock this topic.