* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [Pokedex Entry] Butterfree  (Read 3132 times)

Offline fuzzy3158

• Pokédex Extraordinaire
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
[Pokedex Entry] Butterfree
« on: April 01, 2014, 06:36:52 PM »
Pokemon #12, Butterfree, Bug/Flying type, Butterfly pokemon.

Intro: Butterfree is the evolved version of Metapod and is best known as the dominant butterfly species pokemon in the Kanto region. Butterfree looks like a butterfly with slightly humanoid features, in that it has appendages similar to feet and claws rather than six segmented legs. Butterfree has a purple body with two blue, tiny three-clawed hands and two blue oval feet. Its head is also purple, with two large red compound eyes, a small blue mouth with two tiny white fangs and two black antennae with bulged tips. Butterfree's wings are white with black rims, and have thin veins visible throughout the wings. Both wings consist of a larger and a smaller segment, with the larger one at the top.

Habitat: Butterfree mostly lives in forests in all sorts of different climates, mostly temperate and tropical. During mating season, most Butterfree travel south to reproduce. Some stay behind however, as indicated by the large population of Caterpie in temperate forests.

Diet: Butterfree lives on pollen and nectar, as well as sweet tree sap and honey if it is able to obtain some from Combee nests.

Biology: Butterfree's wings are naturally covered in poisonous and paralysis-inducing dusts. It will spread these powders by flapping its wings heftily. The powders have water-repellant properties, which prevent the wings from getting soaked in the rain. This allows Butterfree to collect food even during heavy downpours. Staying in the presence of large groups of enraged Butterfree is dangerous, as one may become affected by the various powders they spread.
For food gathering, Butterfree relies on its skills in identifying various flowers, pollen and nectar types. It is very skilled at this, and selects the right flowers with great care. It will travel up to six miles to find suitable food, and can carry the pollen all the way back to the nest. It carries the pollen by attaching it to the hairs on its legs.
The mating habits of Butterfree are somewhat complex. During mating season, Butterfree gather at the oceanside and seek a suitable mate. A male Butterfree will try to impress a mate by wooing her with a dance, which has recently been identified as the move Quiver Dance. If the female is impressed, they will pair up and travel south for reproduction. If the female is unimpressed, the male Butterfree may still try to win her affection by impressing her with a vigorous display of physical force, though most Butterfree choose to simply try and find another mate.
Butterfree sometimes share a habitat with Heracross. This is because Heracross and Butterfree share an interest in sweet tree sap, but Butterfree are typically unable to pierce the bark of the sap-producing trees, instead relying on Heracross to share the tree sap.
Butterfree has a very diverse moveset. It can sense and expel various wavelengths using its antenna. This allows Butterfree to use psychic attacks, such as confusion and Psybeam. It can also gather solar power in the antenna to use in the move Solarbeam. It is also able to use unique support moves such as Tailwind, and it is proficient with status-inducing moves thanks to its ability Compound eyes.

Pokemon League Commission notes:
Class D: Butterfree are slightly less plentiful than their offspring, Caterpie, but populations are still big enough to not need special regulations for maintenance.
During mating season, trainers are urged to free their Butterfree and allow them to fulfill their life goal.

Offline Roloc

• Lead Gameplay Balancer
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Ivysaur anyone?
    • View Profile
Re: [Pokedex Entry] Butterfree
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:40:03 PM »
Good stuff
I like it.
Team Attack Coverage Calculator
Damage Calculator
"Gimmicks only get you so far in a fight without the skill set to back them up."

Offline TrainerX

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Wow fuzzy, you're still at this? How many entries have you done so far?

Great work, as always. I can't really think of anything to criticize.

Offline fuzzy3158

• Pokédex Extraordinaire
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »
Definitely still at this. Took al little break last weekend to play some competetive MTG and stuff.

Got a bit exhausted of all the 4/5/6 generation pokemon, since those entries are really hard to make interesting. Not that I did that many of those, but just trying to come up with stuff for Cinccino was quite... dejecting...
So for the coming weeks or so, I'm giving full priority to the first Gens, I will start making entries in pokedex order. Since I've practically seen all the episodes and played the games a million times so it's easy to just churn out a couple of entries like these every day.

I'm really motivated to at least finish the pokedex up to and including generation 3. I'll keep doing the requests for pokemon of other gens randomly every now and then though. I do hope I get more help with the other Gens. Just fixing other people's entries is already a lot less work than writing them from scratch.

*Edit*: As to how many I've done, I'm not counting :p
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:52:11 PM by fuzzy3158 »

Offline TrainerX

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:41:56 PM »
You sure are dedicated. I wouldn't be able to churn out high quality entries all the time like this. Then again, writing has never been my strong suit. Actually, words aren't really my strong suit. I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words. What I think is generally a lot more intelligent than what I say.

I especially like the entries for the older pokemon though. I don't know if it's the nostalgia it brings me, or if they're just better (probably both), but I enjoy reading such detailed descriptions of the pokemon from the games I played when I was little.