* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [Quest] Growlithe, Where Are You?  (Read 4344 times)

Offline obi

• Beginning Trainer
  • Pffzt, Bleah, Mmmm!
    • View Profile
[Quest] Growlithe, Where Are You?
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:37:06 AM »
Disclaimer: If this quest is similar to any previously existing quests in any other Pokemon games, I apologize. The only ones I've played straight through are Blue, Sapphire, and Snap, and it wasn't in any of those. But I digress... here's the quest.

This quest will most likely have to be earlier in the game. Before you have time to teach any of your Pokemon 'Rock Smash' or 'Strength' can be at any point in the game.

You reach a clearing which has two exits. One leads to the next city/town/island that you need to go to. The other leads to a forest full of wild Pokemon. There's a single house in the clearing. You go inside and there's an old man in there, looking longingly at a picture of him in his youth with a Growlithe. You talk to him and he starts telling you how his Growlithe has been his best friend since he was a child but a few months ago, when they were out in the forest, they were attacked by an enraged Primeape. They tried to fight it, but it was too strong, so they ran and ended up getting separated (At this point in the quest you'd have the option to ask "Why didn't you keep your Growlithe in a Pokeball?", to which he'd respond "Foolish child. Would you confine YOUR best friend to a little ball all day?"). He made it back home, but has been worried about his friend ever since. He also informs you that, since Growlithe is his one and only Pokemon, he doesn't dare venture into that dangerous forest. You tell him that you'll go into the forest and find his Growlithe for him. He thanks you and, as your leaving his house, says "Wait, take this!", and hands you a ball. (At this point the game would say something along the lines of "You've received a Po-... Well, this is strange! You've never seen a ball quite like this before." Then the old man would notice your confused look and explain that it was Growlithe's favorite ball to play with, and that maybe she'd pick up the scent and come to you.)

You leave the old man's house and head into the forest. Here, you run into a few forest Pokemon (nothing too big though. Beedrills and such). Finally, you run into Growlithe. She attacks you out of fear. You pull out the ball the old man gave you and throw it. The game says something like "Growlithe is sniffing the ball cautiously...", then it informs you that she recognizes the scent, and the battle ends. At this point the game will say something to the effect of "Growlithe refuses to leave. It seems to be protecting something." You investigate and find a Poke-Egg (after this, Growlithe will follow behind you, like Pikachu did in Yellow, until you go back to the old man's house). You start to head out of the woods but, right before you exit, the wild Primeape that the old man told you about attacks you (it should be fairly strong, with MP about on par with where most people's strongest Pokemon would be at that point). You fight it and beat it, and exit the forest with Growlithe and the egg. You go back to the old man's house and return him his Pokemon. He thanks you, then says he has a gift for you. He gives you 100P and the Poke-Egg, and you continue on your journey.

Quest end.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:26:22 PM by obi »

Facebook
Twitter
Youtube

You've only got one mind. Lose it wisely.

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
Re: [Quest] Growlithe, Where Are You?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »
hrmm, I dunno how the team will feel about a quest that makes them have to give an HM in this manner, or if they already have plans for the HMs. Also, It's a little short, although I do like the back story about the ball, although, the man said he never kept his pokemon in a ball. ;)

Offline obi

• Beginning Trainer
  • Pffzt, Bleah, Mmmm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 03:49:06 PM »
The ball isn't a Pokeball. It's just a regular old ball. The kind you'd use to play fetch with your dog.

About the HM. Maybe I can edit the quest so you end up receiving something else from the old man? I dunno what though.

Also, I realize it's short. It's more of a mini-quest than anything.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:11:45 PM by obi »

Facebook
Twitter
Youtube

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:55:10 PM »
Ah, I see, Well, it isn't bad and sorry for misconceiving the ball concept. It just likes like some sorta depth otherwise the players won't be interested, also, yeah working around the HM necessary thing might be a good idea.

Offline obi

• Beginning Trainer
  • Pffzt, Bleah, Mmmm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »
Maybe I can change the Growlithe to a female, have it so she ended up meeting another Growlithe while lost in the woods, and ends up having a baby. Which the old man decides to let you keep after you finish his request. Also, I'd remove the blocked path. That way, people wouldn't have to do the quest if they didn't want to, but they'd still have incentive to (obtaining a new Pokemon)

Facebook
Twitter
Youtube

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 04:36:59 PM »
I thought it was a good quest :]

Although I don't see why the growlith would still be in the woods for so many years, and that the old man is so old now. Maybe you could make it seem like less time passed by, and instead of it being an old man; the person would still be the same age; still crying looking into the picture ?

Just a thought :P

Offline obi

• Beginning Trainer
  • Pffzt, Bleah, Mmmm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »

Although I don't see why the growlith would still be in the woods for so many years, and that the old man is so old now. Maybe you could make it seem like less time passed by, and instead of it being an old man; the person would still be the same age; still crying looking into the picture ?

Yeah, I should've explained the passage of time better. The incident in the woods where he got separated would have taken place only a few weeks/months before you arrived at the most. (I'm assuming Pokemon age differently than people, which is why I have him as an old man, yet Growlithe is still able to have a baby/egg)

Facebook
Twitter
Youtube

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
But I still think that the man is weird... He left his so called friend to the mercy of the Primeape :P

I didn't find the quest that similar to the existing quests. You added a personal touch which makes it fine.

The quest seems quite easy, both to do it and to implement it. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:21:05 PM by Jerry »
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline obi

• Beginning Trainer
  • Pffzt, Bleah, Mmmm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »
Yeah, I agree that the way in which they get separated makes the old man a bit of a coward. If they (the PU team) decide to use this quest though, I'll change it from 'he ran away' to 'they ran away, but got separated'. That way, the old man isn't just some jerk who abandons his Pokemon.

Facebook
Twitter
Youtube

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 06:21:22 PM »
That's way better! :D

You could perhaps also add that he has been trying to go through the forest looking for his Growlithe, but each time, the Primeape would appear and he just cannot face the Primeape without any pokemon and hence fled each time, to make it more realistic.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline obi

• Beginning Trainer
  • Pffzt, Bleah, Mmmm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »
Quest updated. Most changes/updates in red.

Removed rocks blocking path
Made the old man less of a coward
Explained that the ball is just a regular old ball
Explained the passage of time since the incident better
Changed Growlithe's gender
Changed reward at the end from HM to money and a Poke-Egg
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:27:04 PM by obi »

Facebook
Twitter
Youtube

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 07:26:29 PM »

Yeah, I should've explained the passage of time better. The incident in the woods where he got separated would have taken place only a few weeks/months before you arrived at the most. (I'm assuming Pokemon age differently than people, which is why I have him as an old man, yet Growlithe is still able to have a baby/egg)

ohhh ok i get it, the Growlith is the child. xD btw i liked the update.