* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: How about trainer party?  (Read 11863 times)

Offline kniveslove

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
How about trainer party?
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:33:56 AM »
We all have a belt fill with 6 Pokemon and that is all the companionship we have? What about traveling with friends and other trainer. Since there will be a trainer lvl system maybe party up the player could lvl faster. Or certain area are only accessible with more than 1 player. Something to encourage the interaction between trainers. 
The more I learn the more I know.The more I know the more I forget.The more I forget the less I know...So why bother?

PS: I do know it all it just that I can't remember all at once.

Offline baralai15

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: How about trainer party?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 02:49:57 AM »
What? You mean like the more people you have in a party the more exp you get? I personally dont like the idea. That would kinda ruin the traditional level gaining of the regular gameboy games.

Offline Quote

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »
The only way I could see a trainer party is like how double battles work. For every person in the group, which should only go up to 2-3 at max, equals the amount of pokemon that challenge you. All pokemon get equal exp multiplied by the percent of pokemon still alive on their side.

Meaning if there are 2 trainers fighting and one person has no more pokemon you'll only get half the exp from those 2 pokemon. Why? Because imagine if you could go up to 3 and grind on 3 pokemon at once with your friends / mules you use to train or some crap. Now imagine yourself killing 3 pokemon in one fight to get triple exp. Makes it kind of unfair and easy grind.

Then again that's on a turn-based opinion.

Offline baralai15

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »
So pretty much the people who battle and defeat the pokemon split the experience and not gain the amount each right?

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
We all have a belt fill with 6 Pokemon and that is all the companionship we have? What about traveling with friends and other trainer. Since there will be a trainer lvl system maybe party up the player could lvl faster. Or certain area are only accessible with more than 1 player. Something to encourage the interaction between trainers. 

I don't quite understand your post here... :-\

You want to have a system where trainers can travel together?

If so, PU will have a lot of players. If two friends are online at the same time, they'll be able to travel together... but experience will remain the same.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline chainedheart

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »
I agree with the dual battles just like in ruby and sap, it really seamse like that would be the best way to go about it, even more so if its turn based which i hope it is :D

Offline mightygamer2

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 04:09:10 PM »
i personally don't like the idea. what i'm thinking is if the ubber gamers with the high level pokemon team up and completely defeat the purpose of this idea. i mean it's a great idea, but there need to be a limit on it.

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 05:26:26 PM »
I think travelling as a pair will be fairly well developed, with a system for shared xp (maybe 70% per pokemon defeated). We may even implement double battle skills which can only be trained while playing as team of two players.

With apologies for borrowing slightly from ffxi, we could also have a system where you could chain wins against wild pokemon so that as long as you don't leave the grass/cave/water, you get a boost in xp for every pokemon you defeat. Chain could work like:

Defeat pokemon 1 (unlimited turns): 100% xp (normal)
Defeat pokemon 2 (6 turns or less): 110% xp
Defeat pokemon 3 (4 turns or less): 120% xp
Defeat pokemon 4 (3 turns or less): 130% xp
Defeat pokemon 5+ (3 turns or less): 140% xp

i.e. Every pokemon defeated after number 6, as long as it takes 3 turns or less, gives 140% xp

Applying this to double battles, you would need to defeat both opponent pokemon in:

Pokemon 1&2: unlimited turns : 70% xp (normal for double battle)
Pokemon 3&4: 8 turns : 80% xp
Pokemon 5&6: 6 turns : 90% xp
Pokemon 7&8: 5 turns : 100% xp
Pokemon 9&10+: 5 turns : 110% xp
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:29:05 PM by Alais »
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline Quote

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 05:32:42 PM »
I actually did like that chaining system. It kind of gave it a "momentum" feel.

Offline Taze

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 06:44:15 PM »
I don't think a party would be the best way to go... but an area where the NPC's throw out two pokemon and you and your friend have to fight it might be fun.  I honestly don't think it would be the best thing, but it might be something.  Also that's something that will differ us from other Pokemon MMORPG's

Offline DarK_SouL

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 12:09:19 AM »
We do not all have six pokemon in our team some have 1 to 5 i personally carry three (and a legendary) because then you have a strong team yet not many weaknesses.

P.S love idea!
Friend DarkerSou1 on Xbox Live, tell me who you is tho.

Offline Minsi

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 03:18:49 AM »
I think trainers are going to interact plenty already with the tournaments, quests, trading, etc. I have to say I don't like the team battle idea. If one person has lets say a level 50 pokemon and the other has a level 5 pokemon and they battle a high level pokemon, since the experience is split down the middle, the weak pokemon is going to level up very quickly. That seems a bit unfair to me. It would be nice to have double battles for tournaments but not for normal battles.

Offline kniveslove

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »
Well the power level issue always come up when we talk about party or team up people. But there are solution for that. For example:

Say if the player will have their own level system:
Player whose level difference from 1-3 could slit XP 50% - 50%
Player whose level difference form 4-10 will slit XP  30% - 70% ( the lower lvl get 30%)
Player whose level difference from 11 and above get 0 % and 100%

The same could be applied for the Pokemon unless it is holding an EXP Share.

The more I learn the more I know.The more I know the more I forget.The more I forget the less I know...So why bother?

PS: I do know it all it just that I can't remember all at once.

Offline baralai15

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »
That doesnt really seem to fair with those percentages, if you do 2 v 2 battle then they should both be 50/50 since they are both in the group and work together. But thats just my opinion.

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:20:47 PM »
That doesnt really seem to fair with those percentages, if you do 2 v 2 battle then they should both be 50/50 since they are both in the group and work together. But thats just my opinion.

it won't be fair when your partner doesn't do crap. Either way, I'm not one to try to understand all these %'s, so I'll just say 2v2 is gonna be fun whether the xp is in the right place or not. :]